Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus Mechanic Question: DIY Torque Converter install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-04, 08:36 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, I don't think you realize that lifting a GS400 (even worst if it's been lowered) high enough to slide the tranny completely out is no easy feat. The jackstands are not the problem, a jack you can safely crank up high enough to put the jackstands under it is.

I encountered this problem when I painted all 4 of my calipers. It is a PITA to get the car up on 4 jackstands w/o the benefit of some kind of SUV or specialized floor jack. And I was only lifting the car high enough to take all 4 wheels off at the same time.

I would be the last person to discourage anyone from doing their own work. I, fortunately, have access to a shop and it's tools pretty much anytime I want. My friends are great. I would say the same thing about the LSD install. I too did that myself (with my buddy the mechanic looking over my shoulder and helping out when needed) and it's not brain surgery. There too you have to drop the exhaust, axles, drive shaft, etc. Not rocket science, but also not a job for someone doing it for the first time in their driveway w/o access to a good set of tools.

Installing an intake or exhaust or brakes or even some cosmetics are perfectly fine to do in your driveway because worst case scenario you can always take the car back to stock in a relative short amount of time. A tranny screw-up can take considerably more time and more importantly more money.

If someone asks a question such as "do yall think I can do this myself", 9 times out of 10 they already have doubts concerning their ability to do it. If that's the case, we would be fool hearty to suggest to that individual that they go ahead and try it anyway; ala "what's the worst that could happen?". Well, the worst that could happen is that he could fry a very expensive part in seconds. Considering that people DIDN'T know you HAVE TO prime the TC BEFORE putting it in.......I'd say that to err in the side of caution is prudent. Don't you?
Old 09-06-04, 10:45 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Again, I don't think you realize that lifting a GS400 (even worst if it's been lowered) high enough to slide the tranny completely out is no easy feat. The jackstands are not the problem, a jack you can safely crank up high enough to put the jackstands under it is.

I encountered this problem when I painted all 4 of my calipers. It is a PITA to get the car up on 4 jackstands w/o the benefit of some kind of SUV or specialized floor jack. And I was only lifting the car high enough to take all 4 wheels off at the same time.

I would be the last person to discourage anyone from doing their own work. I, fortunately, have access to a shop and it's tools pretty much anytime I want. My friends are great. I would say the same thing about the LSD install. I too did that myself (with my buddy the mechanic looking over my shoulder and helping out when needed) and it's not brain surgery. There too you have to drop the exhaust, axles, drive shaft, etc. Not rocket science, but also not a job for someone doing it for the first time in their driveway w/o access to a good set of tools.

Installing an intake or exhaust or brakes or even some cosmetics are perfectly fine to do in your driveway because worst case scenario you can always take the car back to stock in a relative short amount of time. A tranny screw-up can take considerably more time and more importantly more money.

If someone asks a question such as "do yall think I can do this myself", 9 times out of 10 they already have doubts concerning their ability to do it. If that's the case, we would be fool hearty to suggest to that individual that they go ahead and try it anyway; ala "what's the worst that could happen?". Well, the worst that could happen is that he could fry a very expensive part in seconds. Considering that people DIDN'T know you HAVE TO prime the TC BEFORE putting it in.......I'd say that to err in the side of caution is prudent. Don't you?

If someone does not have a decent set of tools and a good floor jack I'd like to believe they wouldnt be asking if they could install their own converter.
But the guy who has replaced a few converters in his time surely would have a good floor jack and a good set of stands.

If anyone is interested, next to a 400 $ Lincoln floor jack one of the best I found for a very good price was found at Sams Club.It has a "Michelin" label on it and so far has proven to be a very capable jack.I think it was about 50-60 bucks.The lift action is very smooth, it goes plenty high enough for this job and not once has it ever started to lose pressure on me.

I totaly agree with the err on the side of caution, but judging by this guys "resume" if you will, I think he is plenty capable of installing his converter.

And I'm not going to say it "cant" happen, but I have never seen a tranny or converter fried from not priming the converter.I always put just one qaurt of fluid in the converter and then before start up I put another 6-7 quarts in the tranny.Then I run it through the gears leaving it in each for about 10 seconds before moving on the next gear.Then I'll add accordingly.
Old 09-06-04, 10:48 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

On a side note I'd like to thank the members of this forum for keeping things so civil.

I've been on other boards where even something as meaningless as this post would start insults flying and a whole bunch of other crap.

I like that people here can discuss things and show their differences of opinion without disrespecting each other.
Old 09-06-04, 12:39 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LMSguy
On a side note I'd like to thank the members of this forum for keeping things so civil.

I've been on other boards where even something as meaningless as this post would start insults flying and a whole bunch of other crap.

I like that people here can discuss things and show their differences of opinion without disrespecting each other.
There is nothing wrong with DIY and saving money. But dropping the tranny in the garage and not having a lift is a big "NO NO". People can get hurt and kill. I've seen some close call that vehicle came off the jack stand. Everyone is friendly around here we try to help as much as we can.
JPI
Old 09-06-04, 01:09 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Luckily, I do have 4 good jack-stands and a good jack. Maybe this is an excuse to go get a newer jack! One of them sweet low profile ones. heheh

I'm not daunted by the task at all, I just want to make sure that there are no suprises for this particular car and it sounds like there won't be.

When I did a tranny R&R on a full sized Bronco that I used to have, it too needed a L O N G extension to get at some of the tranny bolts. I think I had to put 3 of them together to reach things! I'll probably purchase a new really long one as well if I do this job myself.

I have one last trick up my sleeve. I just found out that one of my really good friends is now very good friends with the owner of a nice transmission shop around here. Gonna see what's up that alley before setting up my DIY in the garage.

btw,....I can't even imagine putting in a dry TC, it seems counter-intuitive to me....
Old 09-06-04, 01:17 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BA_GS400
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Luckily, I do have 4 good jack-stands and a good jack. Maybe this is an excuse to go get a newer jack! One of them sweet low profile ones. heheh

I'm not daunted by the task at all, I just want to make sure that there are no suprises for this particular car and it sounds like there won't be.

When I did a tranny R&R on a full sized Bronco that I used to have, it too needed a L O N G extension to get at some of the tranny bolts. I think I had to put 3 of them together to reach things! I'll probably purchase a new really long one as well if I do this job myself.

I have one last trick up my sleeve. I just found out that one of my really good friends is now very good friends with the owner of a nice transmission shop around here. Gonna see what's up that alley before setting up my DIY in the garage.

btw,....I can't even imagine putting in a dry TC, it seems counter-intuitive to me....
Maybe you could slip him the $50 and he will let you use the lift
JPI
Old 09-06-04, 03:54 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I have also done trannies in the garage with 4 stands and a jack. It's not THAT big of a deal, just a little uncomfortable. Take your time, and it's no problem. We recently did the tranny on a Dodge Viper in the garage. Was no bid geal. If we could get the tranny out from under a Viper, you'll have no issues getting the tranny out from under a GS. GO FOR IT!! Let us know how you make out....
Old 09-07-04, 10:58 AM
aristo400
Rookie

You guys are right. It's not an easy job. I have everything removed excpet the top two 17mm bell housing bolts. I did have some rusted exhuast bolts that were a pain but PB Blaster helped greatly. So far it took about 3-4 hours. Probably another 3-4 hours to reinstall.

I was going to tackle the top two bolts from above the upper intake manifold area but will try the long extensions.

P.S. Where are the electrical connectors for the second O2 sensors?

BTW, I've removed countless manual tranmissions from rx7 in my garage. It was never a problem so I think it's possible to DIY but, *do not tackle this job unless you are mechanically inclined.*

P.S. thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by aristo400; 09-07-04 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-13-04, 11:28 AM
aristo400
Rookie

Update:

It's installed and the low end power feels much better. The total labor time was over 12 hours! I wrked on athe car a few hours a night. I had problems with rusted and stuck exhuast bolts. The gas mileage is not effected on the highyway and no check engine light so far.
I notice a slight clunk when rapidly giving it 40% thottle from a roll at about 40mph.

It's doable in garage but not fun!

-Jeff

Last edited by aristo400; 09-13-04 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-13-04, 01:36 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by aristo400
Update:

It's installed and the low end power feels much better. The total labor time was over 12 hours! I wrked on athe car a few hours a night. I had problems with rusted and stuck exhuast bolts. The gas mileage is not effected on the highyway and no check engine light so far.
I notice a slight clunk when rapidly giving it 40% thottle from a roll at about 40mph.

It's doable in garage but not fun!

-Jeff
If someone where to simply ask you, "should I do the TC install myself at home?", what would your advice be now?

Congrats on the successful install. It is a very worthwile mod for our cars. Really livens up the hole shot performance. Do you have an LSD yet?
Old 09-14-04, 10:29 AM
aristo400
Rookie

I would say the torque converter install should be done only with people with experience in removing transmissions. I've removed more than a few transmissions in a household garage. Don't rush it, just take your time.

Thanks for the help guys. I've saved $500 by doing it myself and switching to Geico insurance!

No LSD yet.

-Jeff

Originally posted by jmecbr900
If someone where to simply ask you, "should I do the TC install myself at home?", what would your advice be now?

Congrats on the successful install. It is a very worthwile mod for our cars. Really livens up the hole shot performance. Do you have an LSD yet?
Old 09-14-04, 12:00 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Is Geico insurance supposed to be that great?
JPI
Old 09-16-04, 05:46 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I just did it. It takes time but it is straightforward. You will need a lift and a trans jack but otherwise basic tools is fine. We have Snap on everything anyway. The top bolts are a bit of a pain to get to but otherwise pretty self explenatory. Make sure to have some Toyota fluid ready. I used 2 quarts.
Old 09-16-04, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally posted by Guru
I just did it. It takes time but it is straightforward. You will need a lift and a trans jack but otherwise basic tools is fine. We have Snap on everything anyway. The top bolts are a bit of a pain to get to but otherwise pretty self explenatory. Make sure to have some Toyota fluid ready. I used 2 quarts.
So do you like it!?