Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus Mechanic Question: DIY Torque Converter install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 10:05 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Mechanic Question: DIY Torque Converter install

I purchased a PI torque converter recently for my 99 GS400.

I'm thinking about buying a Service Manual and just doing the darn thing myself with the help of some friends.

My question is, Is this going to be much different than doing the same thing on say,...a Chevy or a Ford?
Sure, there's some electronics here, but, I was viewing that as probably being an unpluggable harness or connector. (or 2 or 3)

I've done a handful of TC replacements on older muscle-cars, done head swaps, carbs, intakes, and one main bearing replacement on a 327.

I think they call for 6.5 hrs of work for the TC installation.

Should I do this myself?? I've had 2 shops now quote me between $500-$590. I've only got one or two more places to check!
Old 09-02-04, 11:30 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The job is not something that is impossible or anything, but the real bear is that you really should use a lift. You will have to drop the entire tranny to do it. You will also have to drop the entire exhaust from the manifold. It can be done if you lift your car up high enought. That's the tricky part. Lifting it high enough to get the tranny down may put you in a dangerous situation. Be careful.

Remember to also always use Toyota ATF only. It's very expensive and you will need more than normal because the new TC will take up a bunch being dry. That reminds me, you have to "prime" the TC BEFORE installing it. You'll fry it if you don't.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-04, 03:23 PM
aristo400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be installing the PI TC this weekend in my garage. It shouldn't be too difficult. The hardest part is removing and installing the heavy tranny without a lift.

How do you prime the TC? My TC is used and has some oil in it, but I'd like to make sure it's primed.
Old 09-02-04, 04:09 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally posted by aristo400
How do you prime the TC? My TC is used and has some oil in it, but I'd like to make sure it's primed.
With yours being used it might not be such a big deal. But I suggest you lay the TC flat on the ground and look into the only open hole on the thing. Look at the level of fluid and see how high it comes up the tube. Then pour out as much of the old fluid, check the color and the smell of the fluid. New Toyota fluid is bright red and has a distinct smell. If the old fluid you're pouring out is brown or black and smells burnt, chances are the TC has been abused.

When you start to pour new fluid in you'll see it fill up, then quickly disappear. I put about a quart of fluid in on the used one for my Supra. You can stop adding fluid when it stops disappearing and stays around the level you saw the old fluid at before you emptied it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-02-04, 06:04 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

The priming procedure is just like Overclocker mentioned. It's simply filling the TC with brand new fluid BEFORE you install back into the tranny. Be sure that it's flat on a level surface when you do it and again remember to only use Toyota ATF.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-04, 06:15 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Anybody know if Redline makes a trans. fluid that will work in our trannies or if anyone has used something else besides Toyota fluid?
Don't want to take any chances when I do mine... thanks!
Old 09-02-04, 07:30 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

It's not recommended.
Old 09-03-04, 06:13 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

I got quoted a $530 price today by a different shop.

So far, that's 3 shops, 1 was a Lex dealer,....all asking over $500.
Old 09-03-04, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally posted by BA_GS400
I got quoted a $530 price today by a different shop.

So far, that's 3 shops, 1 was a Lex dealer,....all asking over $500.
You gotta pay to play. Unless you DIY of course.
Old 09-03-04, 10:47 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

and I thought the $700 for the TC was a bunch o' cash!!!!

Others are paying 300-400 for installation, I gotta get ripped!

It's really starting to look like a DIY job. I'd better warn my friends and put Pizza Hut on speed-dial.
Old 09-04-04, 07:06 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be a devil's advocate here and say.....This is a job folks. It's not as easy as it looks on paper. You have to drop the entire exhaust from the manifold, you have take out the drive shaft, you have to THEN drop the entire tranny, pop out the old TC, prime the new one, pop it back in, and reverse the entire procedure all over again. This is why most shops charge $500+ for this job. It's not rocket science, but it is uncomfortable and time consuming.

Even with the use of a buddy's shop and his lift, it took us a few hours to do this job. And he does this for a living!!!! AND we had every tool imaginable known to man. Trust me, it can be done at the house if you really want to, but it's not like changing out some plugs or something. It's a bit of a job.

Good luck and be sure to have the procedure outlined in your head BEFORE you start. You will be tinkering with a VERY expensive part of you car. If something goes wrong, you'll fry a $2k tranny in about 30 secs.
Old 09-04-04, 08:09 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
I'll be a devil's advocate here and say.....This is a job folks. It's not as easy as it looks on paper. You have to drop the entire exhaust from the manifold, you have take out the drive shaft, you have to THEN drop the entire tranny, pop out the old TC, prime the new one, pop it back in, and reverse the entire procedure all over again. This is why most shops charge $500+ for this job. It's not rocket science, but it is uncomfortable and time consuming.

Even with the use of a buddy's shop and his lift, it took us a few hours to do this job. And he does this for a living!!!! AND we had every tool imaginable known to man. Trust me, it can be done at the house if you really want to, but it's not like changing out some plugs or something. It's a bit of a job.

Good luck and be sure to have the procedure outlined in your head BEFORE you start. You will be tinkering with a VERY expensive part of you car. If something goes wrong, you'll fry a $2k tranny in about 30 secs.
Would you rather pay $500 or have the car stuck in your garage for 3 days or more. Something you need to look into before DIY. Need to have a torque wrench, extremely long extension to remove the top 17mm bolts, 4 good floor jack stands and transmission jack. All you these money and the time you put in. I would might as well let the pro do. This is just my opinion from a lexus tech point of view.
JPI
Old 09-05-04, 05:46 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Dont let anyone talk you out of doing this yourself.If you have done a few in the past you wont have any problems.

Like was said before all you will need is a LONG extension or two and a good 3/8 universal.

Once the car is UP on four jackstands you will just use your jack to lower the tranny, unless you and your helper have strong upper bodies!

What sone people fail to realize is that if someone is mechanically inclined then they can pretty much work on any type of car.All rear wheel drive cars are pretty similar.Yeah there might be a few differences but all in all they're not too different.

Good luck and if you run into any problems feel free to ask.I'm sure the guys who have done them before will be glad to give you a hand.
Old 09-05-04, 07:39 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LMSguy
Dont let anyone talk you out of doing this yourself.If you have done a few in the past you wont have any problems.

Like was said before all you will need is a LONG extension or two and a good 3/8 universal.

Once the car is UP on four jackstands you will just use your jack to lower the tranny, unless you and your helper have strong upper bodies!

What sone people fail to realize is that if someone is mechanically inclined then they can pretty much work on any type of car.All rear wheel drive cars are pretty similar.Yeah there might be a few differences but all in all they're not too different.

Good luck and if you run into any problems feel free to ask.I'm sure the guys who have done them before will be glad to give you a hand.
No disrespect meant, but that is not very sound advice IMO.

Just because cars have RWD in common DOES NOT make them the same. It's obvious that you haven't attempted to drop a tranny using 4 jackstands. If you had, you would see it's far from "easy" or a piece of cake. That IMO is going to be one of the toughest parts of the install. It's going to be difficult to raise the car high enough with standard jacks. Working on a Lexus is far different than working on Chevy. Just because you have 4 wheels and an engine doesn't make it the same nor simple to work on one. Sorry, I totally disagree with such a generalized statement.

I've done my own, so I'll say it again.....it's NOT rocket science. So technically, you don't have to be a super duper mechanic to do it, yes. The issue with doing it in the backyard is that you have to figure out how to lift it up high enough to not only drop the tranny but then slide it out. If you can do that to start, then you may be able to handle the situation.

If I didn't have the access to a shop like I do, I would have definetly paid to have it done (technically I did because I paid for some of the job) rather than risking tearing up my $2k tranny. Ultimately it's up to you since it's your car and your money.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-04, 11:11 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

No disrespect taken.
Yes my gneralization was pretty broad, but it got the point across.
I'm fairly new to this forum and I dont know if you have read any of my other posts where I introduced myself.
I used to own a shop called LincolnMotorsport where I specialized in Lincoln MarkVIIIs.
I have done way more trannies on my back than I care to think about right now, and yes it IS easier on a lift.But the only essentials of doing it in your garage or driveway is 4 large jackstands that can be bought at any auto zone or Sams club and a good floor jack.(That and no fear of hard work) LOL.

I applaud you for doing your own work.Words cannot describe the feeling of accomplishment you get when you tackle a job like this yourself.And I dont want anyone to dissuade people from working on their own cars.

Again, If you run into any problems feel free to ask, I'd be more then willing to help.

Quick Reply: Lexus Mechanic Question: DIY Torque Converter install