Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed L-Tuned Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-04 | 02:00 PM
rodel
Advanced

Default Installed L-Tuned Exhaust

I've held out on exhaust for almost a year now because I really don't like the vibration and noise of exhaust on a luxury car. (On my Supra MKIII is a different story, I really like the LOUD Apexi-N1 exhaust). I prefer a quiet cabin inthe GS and enjoy hearing music only; however, I was no longer able to bear having the big empty holes on my rear bumper. I refused to put on tips only because I didn't want the "poser" exhaust look. (Sorry guys, for those of you that have tips only, but that's my honest opinion.)

I was offered a deal on L-tuned mufflers that I couldn't refuse. I no longer have the big empty hole on my bumper, but now I have music+exhaust noise and vibration. It kinda irriates me. I'm having doubts about keeping the exhaust. I may just have to go with the poser look. Do you think dyno-matting my trunk will help?

Anyways....I wanted to share the pics with the fellas (and the ladies too)

Before - Stock

After - L-tuned Exhaust

Last edited by rodel; 10-16-04 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-16-04 | 03:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

How does having exhaust tips make u a poser?

Basically ur replacing stock exhaust tips for nicer tips that improve the look of ur car. The same way u replace any other stock part like wheels, bumpers, grill, etc to make the car look better.
Old 10-16-04 | 03:53 PM
rodel
Advanced

Originally posted by RNM GS3
How does having exhaust tips make u a poser?

Basically ur replacing stock exhaust tips for nicer tips that improve the look of ur car. The same way u replace any other stock part like wheels, bumpers, grill, etc to make the car look better.
Shiny tips are associated with performance exhaust, going back to the hot rod days. People replace their small factory tips with bigger and shinier ones to give the muffler a "performance look". Don't take it the wrong way. I have friends with bolt-on/welded tips on factory exhaust; that's their preference. Welding tips onto a stock muffler isn't mine. Anyways, this thread is not about the issue of "posing." If I offend anyone with the word "poser", my apology to you.

Last edited by rodel; 10-16-04 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-16-04 | 04:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe if u put on a huge 5inch chrome exhaust tips on a stock exhaust that is too much, but replacing the stock ones for ones that fillout the bumper is OK imo.

IMO ur bodykit is overboard for a GS300 bec it gives the car what u called the "performance or race look" yet ur car's performance doesn't back it up.......and thats being a poser imo.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-16-04 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-16-04 | 06:23 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally posted by RNM GS3
Maybe if u put on a huge 5inch chrome exhaust tips on a stock exhaust that is too much, but replacing the stock ones for ones that fillout the bumper is OK imo.

IMO ur bodykit is overboard for a GS300 bec it gives the car what u called the "performance or race look" yet ur car's performance doesn't back it up.......and thats being a poser imo.

That was kinda funny though.

I love my L-Tuned exhaust, think it sounds great on the GS and turns heads. If I don't want to hear it I turn the NAK up.
Old 10-16-04 | 06:47 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Default frontal pic request

Rodel, out of the topic, do you have Veilside K1 front bumber. If so, please take a few pics and post it here or PM me or email me at sung35@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Old 10-16-04 | 06:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

No matter how much dynamat you use the L-Tuned isn't gonna sound like stock. If you want a stock sounding exhaust, stay with the huge stock mufflers (the L-Tuned and other aftermarket mufflers are 1/3 the size of the stockers).

Sidenote: the L-Tuned exhaust sounds different on the I6 vs. the V8.
Old 10-16-04 | 07:37 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't the BORLA produce less noise, compared to the L_Tuned..... ?

J
Old 10-16-04 | 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by J_RoK
Isn't the BORLA produce less noise, compared to the L_Tuned..... ?
A little less, yes.
Old 10-17-04 | 03:59 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

here is my $.02 regarding this whole subject:

I bought L-tuned tips because I didn't want that WAHHHHHHH WAHHHHH ricey exhaust note that all of the fart cans around here exhibit- ESPECIALLY NOT IN A $50K LUXURY CAR!!!!

I bought the tips because I wanted people to recognize what they were messing with on the highway, and I achieved the sleeper status-my car is still quite, but looks as tough as it actually is...

I look at it this way-I may have no bark, but I got ALL BITE

Then again, if you are running a GS3, it's a different story
Old 10-17-04 | 04:00 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

oh and Rodel, totally OT but

YOU NEED 01 TAILS!!!
Old 10-17-04 | 06:36 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
here is my $.02 regarding this whole subject:

I bought L-tuned tips because I didn't want that WAHHHHHHH WAHHHHH ricey exhaust note that all of the fart cans around here exhibit- ESPECIALLY NOT IN A $50K LUXURY CAR!!!!

I bought the tips because I wanted people to recognize what they were messing with on the highway, and I achieved the sleeper status-my car is still quite, but looks as tough as it actually is...

I look at it this way-I may have no bark, but I got ALL BITE

Then again, if you are running a GS3, it's a different story
The L-Tuned exhaust does not sound like WAHHHHHHH WAHHHHH ricey exhaust note, it has a muscle car tone similar to a Mustang, Camaro, or Vette... in the GS4, I don't know what it sounds like in the GS3 but I thought it would be similar.
Old 10-17-04 | 10:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by CinFulxGS4
The L-Tuned exhaust does not sound like WAHHHHHHH WAHHHHH ricey exhaust note, it has a muscle car tone similar to a Mustang, Camaro, or Vette... in the GS4, I don't know what it sounds like in the GS3 but I thought it would be similar.
well but still it has more "noise" than the stock setup, so i can understand NT2SHBBY's point.

with that said though, i have the apexi, no where the quietest out there, but i don't mind, since it's not loud in my definition and people keep on looking at my cars when i pass by
Old 10-17-04 | 11:25 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Just saying that there is a big difference between the L-Tuned exhaust and some "fart cannon" ricer style exhaust. The L-Tuned doesn't sound "that" way.
Old 10-17-04 | 03:05 PM
rodel
Advanced

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
oh and Rodel, totally OT but

YOU NEED 01 TAILS!!!
You just talked me into it.

Quick Reply: Installed L-Tuned Exhaust