Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TRD LSD & TC, or RMM LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-01, 01:51 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acceleration

Steve - U MAY notice the engine reving a little higher before the car starts moving due to the slippage of the higher stall TC but it's minimal, if any. However, when U floor it, hang on!! With the VSC off, U should be able to fry the rear tires ( 17" or 18" ) but I don't know about the larger width tires ( 19" or 20" ) that some of the members have. Your 0-60 times should drop from .2 to .4 ( conservative numbers - mine dropped about .3 ) & I'll letcha know about the quarter mile as I'm supposed to hit the track next weekend. My only downside to the TC is that I lost about 1 mpg cruising on the highway but the fun factor MORE than makes up for that!!
Sasha - Don't EVER stop asking questions as it's one of the 2 best ways to learn, along with DIY - IMO. Of course, answers to your questions may make U think twice about DIY!!
Old 03-04-01, 07:31 AM
Grush
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Very helpful Gene. Appreciate your time. i've followed up with SRT for the TC. I am a little concerned re the low 2 year warranty and threatening the Lexus warranty. I wonder how SRT's upcoming Trans ECU will change the shift characteristics vs the TC??????

Thanks, Steve
Old 03-04-01, 06:06 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TC will RAISE the tranny operating temperatures. As a result, you will also have to change the fluid more frequently. A 1 hour drive of 4K-5K RPM range and your tranny will be extremely hot. This is the same reason why I was looking for a synthetic blend of tranny fluid........
Old 03-04-01, 06:31 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanx gene, well this summer i plan to do a lot of DIYing!
with some help from my friend at Prokart (hopefully)
Old 03-04-01, 06:54 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TC Help

Steve - Mariusz is correct that the extra slippage generates hear within the tranny & shortens the life of the fluid. However, U can offset that by installing a transmission fluid cooler when U do the TC install. Mo has a nice slimline model that removes a significant amount of BTU's but change the fluid at 15k anyway! I've had TC's for years in various rides & NEVER had a problem that could be attributed to the TC. Precision makes quality equipment & Mo will stand behind it. Whenever ( HINT!!! ) Mo releases the tranny ECU, it should permit quicker shifts & more control over your shifting. He also told me he can program it for any other mods U've made ( like a S/C, steeper gears, etc ). U will enjoy the HFI/ECU coupled with the TC. When the TC locks up, the HFI will kick in & take U ( quickly!! ) to redline!! If U want to be extra stealthy, spray the cooler with some VHT black paint & it'll blend right in with your radiator & no one will be able to see it unless they're looking REALLY closely - may keep a service writer from getting inquisitive!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-06-01 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-05-01, 03:04 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Great info from Mean Gene as always. Just to add a little more info. Torque converters, as the name implies, multiply the torque like gears do. It is a dynamic reaction though and the amount of multiplication starts high and goes down as the unit nears fluid coupling. Gears, 3.27 to one (stock) multiply the torque comming out of the tranny by 3.27 times. So adding a torque converter will cause the car to launch harder because it allows the engine to rev higher and it increases the torque to the wheels as the engine revs. Once underway there is a lockup clutch that stops the slipping. The mileage decrease should only be comming from the extra fuel used during starts and stops. It is too much fun not to give it a little, a little more, more