Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TRD LSD & TC, or RMM LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-01, 03:44 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have been informed by fellow members I need a Limited Slip, especially if I track my car often. I need your opinions and comments.

TRD does make a LSD which is available for $800-900, but it's not a complete assy. The dealer book rate for install is ~$700. Also, there's no low gearing for the TRD unit, so I would have to buy also a TC (torque converter) for $900 and another $400 for labor.

The RMM LSD is a complete unit, for $1600 or so. Labor is only $200 for install. The RMM unit also has the lower gearing, so i would not neeed a TC. I'm a little concerned with the quality of the RMM LSD. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I have been told a Supra diff should also work, but I'm not sure if it has the low gearing. It should be easy to install like the RMM. Comments?

Thanks
Old 02-28-01, 05:22 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

I think regardless of which LSD you get, the quality should be comparable.

If you decide to go with RMM, I can get you that LSD for $1399+shipping.

Old 02-28-01, 06:02 PM
Babalouie

AFAIK, the part number for the TRD diff is the same for the GS4 and the Supra, so it should be a bolt-in, bolt-out job.

And I think the gearing is the same, both Supra and GS4 have a 4.083:1 final drive?
Old 02-28-01, 11:33 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

QBranch, why do you want the LSD? I would STRONGLY recommend starting with the TC from Swift. Call them, thank me later.

http://www.swift-racing.com/

Old 03-01-01, 01:15 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Depends on What U Want

Calvin - My understanding is that the RMM LSD is a twin turbo Supra piece with 3.76 gearing. I don't autocross but I'd like the steeper gears to get me off the line & out of the hole quicker as opposed to the factory 3.26's. I've been very pleased with my RMM 3.76 LSD as I need the gearing to overcome the stereo weight in my trunk. However, as JB says, the TC made a bigger difference for me in off-idle performance than the LSD. In fact, I had the TC first & could fry the tires but when I added the RMM LSD, the equal power distribution made it harder to spin them but easier to get the power to the ground. TC + LSD - Not a bad combination!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-01-01 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-01-01, 10:16 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Mariusz
I think regardless of which LSD you get, the quality should be comparable.

If you decide to go with RMM, I can get you that LSD for $1399+shipping.

Mariusz, I'm in California. Would you charge me tax?
Old 03-01-01, 11:29 AM
hlee1169
Rookie

Mean Gean,

With the RMM LSD and shorter gearing, do you know what RPM you are running at 70 MPH? Do you like its performance? Thanks.
Old 03-01-01, 12:59 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

QBranch, NO tax.
Old 03-02-01, 01:57 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question RPM's

HL - I don't have access to the car right now but I think it turns around 2800 rpm's at 70 mph or close to it. I've been very happy with the addition as it dropped my 0-60 times by about .1. Unfortunately, it makes it darn near impossible to spin the tires but that's what the LSD is for - to get the power to the ground.
Old 03-02-01, 07:09 AM
Woody1

I have a RMM LSD I bought from Jamie Zartman (few of us old timers may remember him), but I haven't ever gotten around to have it installed. It's slightly used, but looks great and has original crate. Jamie told me usage was minimal. I don't really want to sell it, but I'll entertain offers.

E-mail me at brad@woodyselectronics.com
Old 03-03-01, 06:52 AM
Grush
Rookie

Default Dumb question form a Rookie

What exactly does the TC do? Allow the rpms to raise before the car roles? What are the off-the-line charateristics?

Sorry for the rookie-like inquiry...
Old 03-03-01, 08:19 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i belive itslike a clutch:

in stock form it grips/locks much more gradualy, so you don't get all of you power until a certain RPM

with the new TC it will lock up the tranny/engine much quicker therefore giving you all you power downlow.

not all your 225/300HP but the expected HP at that RPM.
Old 03-03-01, 06:07 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Not Quite Right

Sasha - Actually, it's the opposite of how U described it. The factory TC locks up at a lower rpm to maximize fuel economy & lower tranny operating temps. Not sure but have been told that it's of about a 1600-1800 rpm stall design. The Dragon TC stalls at 2800 for the naturally aspirated design & 2500 or so for those with the S/C ( due to their increased low-range rpms torque ). This higher stall allows the engine to slip up into it's powerband ( 3000 rpms ) quicker & give the good launches. Basically, a TC is a viscous coupling between the engine & tranny & serves the function of torque multiplication. It doesn't make power but allow U to use what U already have better.
Grush - the car will begin rolling as soon as U let off the brake. Some folks think that the car won't move until the TC locks up at it's designed stall speed - NOT TRUE!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-04-01 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-03-01, 08:05 PM
Grush
Rookie

Thanks Gene! So if I just accelerate normally from a stop, what difference would I experience over stock?

And with heavy accel from a stop?

Steve

Old 03-03-01, 08:08 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

i'll just shut up now...

Quick Reply: TRD LSD & TC, or RMM LSD?