Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Attempt at removing stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-04, 06:19 PM
beaterKU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempt at removing stock exhaust

So I can build a motor blind-folded, but I'll be damned if I could get the stock exhaust off this evening. I first tried to remove the rear sections and quickly found out that it wasn't happening. After a quick inspection, I came to the conclusion that I could just take the whole exhaust off. I then moved up to the center flange. I broke one of the bolts loose no problem. The other one was a different story. It looks as though the head of the bolt is welded along with the tack on the nut on the other side. I used a cold chissle to try and break the tack to no avail. This is very irritating. If any of you have any suggestions as to how to get this stubborn thing off, please let me know. I will greatly appriciate it.

I just want to install my Carson exhuast.... It is just sitting in a room in my house.

Thanks

Nick
Old 10-22-04, 06:50 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that bro. This may sound funny, but what i used what a torque wrench and a jack. I put the wrench on the head of the bolt in the position to loosin it, as low as possible, so that the jack would push it as high as it would go, and then jacked the jack up, pushing the torque wrench up. Broke them with no problem. Keep in mind, i used this method on taking off the stubborn nuts and bolts on my brake calipers to upgrade to a BBK, but i dont' see why this method won't work if you want to give it a try. hope this helps.

John
Old 10-22-04, 06:56 PM
beaterKU
Pole Position

Well I was hesitant to use any type of cheater bar method as my previous attemp rounded one of the bolts a bit. I immediatly stopped. It is not entirly rounded off, it has a little bit left. I think tommorrow I am going to use the "heat wrench" and see what happens.

Any by the way, this Carson exhuast looks fabulous. Money well spent in my opinion. I will post up pics and maybe a video or sound clip once it is installed.

Thanks

Nick
Old 10-22-04, 07:37 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Air impact tools always works.
Old 10-22-04, 08:00 PM
beaterKU
Pole Position

I used a 600ft-lb impact wrench. It looks as though there is just a build up of rust and whatnot around the head of the bolt. I am going to use an air-chisel to knock some of the crud off and see what happens. I guess 6 years of winter has taken its toll on it.

-Nick
Old 10-23-04, 02:20 PM
beaterKU
Pole Position

It's on and man does it sound sweet. I ended up using an air jig saw to cut the heads off and drilling them out. Worked like a champ.

Pictures, sound and video to come.

-Nick
Old 10-25-04, 01:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man the rust built up must be troublesome.... i hope you can get it off. wd40 and stuff don't do anything huh