Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GTE question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04 | 09:14 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Another alternative would be to use a piggyback fueling ECU like a Dastek Unichip or a Greddy E-Manage, so the stock ECU would still be controlling the vvti as normal.

Even Motec is just beginning to start selling their vvti modules because it has been a serious PITA to control it using aftermarket ECUs.

A lot of supras in the UK Supra forums are also having problems with going single because the available aftermarket ECUs can't cope with the vvti. Can you believe that even if you wanna change cams on the vvti 2jz motor, you need the HKS valcon electronic unit to separately control the cams? A lot of people don't find this upgrade worth it because the cams + the valcon unit is another $2000!

On old supra, upgrading cams 264/272 (or thereabout) is a simple $900 affair. Apparently on the newer vvti 2JZ-GTE motor, nothing is quite as simple. HOWEVER, having said that, the vvti motor also doesn't experience boost spikes (very bad!) as easily as the older motor. And that's good news!
Old 12-23-04 | 07:22 AM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
Another alternative would be to use a piggyback fueling ECU like a Dastek Unichip or a Greddy E-Manage, so the stock ECU would still be controlling the vvti as normal.

Even Motec is just beginning to start selling their vvti modules because it has been a serious PITA to control it using aftermarket ECUs.

A lot of supras in the UK Supra forums are also having problems with going single because the available aftermarket ECUs can't cope with the vvti. Can you believe that even if you wanna change cams on the vvti 2jz motor, you need the HKS valcon electronic unit to separately control the cams? A lot of people don't find this upgrade worth it because the cams + the valcon unit is another $2000!

On old supra, upgrading cams 264/272 (or thereabout) is a simple $900 affair. Apparently on the newer vvti 2JZ-GTE motor, nothing is quite as simple. HOWEVER, having said that, the vvti motor also doesn't experience boost spikes (very bad!) as easily as the older motor. And that's good news!
I have not tried it for myself but I was told that the e-manage was a no-no because of the vvt-i that keeps readjusting itself to the changes made by the E-manage. From looking at Japanese supra magazines, I see that just about everyone is using the HKS FCON VPRO to make serious power and control the vvt-i. I am planning on doing the same once I can get my hands on the software. I am not too crazy about the piggyback idea. Granted the valcon+cam for the vvt-i is more expensive than just intake and exhaust cams for the regular 2JZ GTE but the technology involved is not the same plus it gives you the ability to control the profile of your cam.. I plan on getting one as soon as i go single. By the way, one of the guys on supraforum has developped a stroker kit for the 2JZ motor. It bumps it to 3.44L (.4L over HKS' kit) and plans to sell it at about half the price of HKS' kit. That's almost instant boost even on one of the big GT series turbo or imagine not needing nitrous to spool a T99H..Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Old 12-23-04 | 11:29 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BadAssGS3T
I have not tried it for myself but I was told that the e-manage was a no-no because of the vvt-i that keeps readjusting itself to the changes made by the E-manage. From looking at Japanese supra magazines, I see that just about everyone is using the HKS FCON VPRO to make serious power and control the vvt-i. I am planning on doing the same once I can get my hands on the software. I am not too crazy about the piggyback idea. Granted the valcon+cam for the vvt-i is more expensive than just intake and exhaust cams for the regular 2JZ GTE but the technology involved is not the same plus it gives you the ability to control the profile of your cam.. I plan on getting one as soon as i go single. By the way, one of the guys on supraforum has developped a stroker kit for the 2JZ motor. It bumps it to 3.44L (.4L over HKS' kit) and plans to sell it at about half the price of HKS' kit. That's almost instant boost even on one of the big GT series turbo or imagine not needing nitrous to spool a T99H..Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Hehe, finally someones stroking that sucker out some more than HKS.

If I finally run into the cash needed, I'm going to pick up a GTE and 6-spd for my GS. I drove my friends modified SS Camero with 6-spd the other night, that thing is a blast!

Stroking is not as big of a deal as some woud think, all you are doing is increasing the displacement, which chevy and ford guys have been doing for eons.
Old 12-23-04 | 07:11 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BadAssGS3T
Ok I've also read about the E-Manage problems. Then how come Greddy itself offers the E-Manage system specifically for the Aristo that's sporting its T78 kit in Japan if it knows that it's not going to work? I mean, knowing the Japanese, they won't try to sell you stuff that won't work. They are really meticulous about stuff like that.

I understand about the F-Con V Pro stuff, but the problem is that we don't have any authorized HKS dealer here that will be able to compute it. I could get someone from Singapore or Australia to fly down to Jakarta and install and tune it, but these guys are not local, and that means they won't know our road conditions, weather conditions, fuel conditions, etc. They can only do a "guesstimate" tuning, and that's not optimal. I have friends who run twin turbo kits on 350Z and whatnots and they pay thousands to get overseas tuners to fly down here to install and tune it and the fueling always ends up excessively rich because these tuners are afraid that with our gas and street conditions, our cars might detonate. They don't want to be held liable for that, so they just run it real rich. Heck, at least it won't blow up.

My car, for example, is currently on Microtech fueling ECU that was tuned by an Australian when he happened to be in Jakarta. He set it so rich that when I replaced my plugs the other day it was completely black at the tips. I also get really crappy gas mileage. I am only getting around 4.5km/L or around 8-9 miles/gallon! In any case, I am definitely removing this ECU in the near future and going with what's been used locally and successfully. I might try the Dastek Unichip. My wife's Honda Fit, with the Unichip, gained over 20lbs/ft for torque and that's on a 1.3L engine car!!!!