Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question to all with PI TC

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 08:29 PM
JCHO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to all with PI TC

Hello all,

Just last week, I installed PI TC on my GS4 and I guess I expected waaaay too much out of this mod??

Under regular stop and go driving, engine revs high to approx 3K rpm during the take off without much of "pull". Now my car feels like a v 6 engine with a turbo or something like it (no insult intened). Don't get me wrong, I love it when I get a chance to drive agressive with an immediate kick but I don't get to do that too often in Washington DC traffic or on the roads of Fairfax Co. Virginia (very unforgiving, no common sense state).

I was wondering if this is to be expected and I just need time to get used to it or did anyone do this mod and change it back for this reason?
Old 11-15-04, 08:47 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

You've got it about right.

The TC is allowing your engine to rev up into it's power band more quickly to give you that extra oomph. If you're really moving slow in stop'n'go then you shouldn't really notice too much of a difference and if you're hustling some you shouldn't notice too much of a difference but I can see where if you're constantly in-between you could become very aware of revving up to 3000 RPM and not as much movement as you would expect per db sound generated.
Old 11-15-04, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
You've got it about right.

The TC is allowing your engine to rev up into it's power band more quickly to give you that extra oomph. If you're really moving slow in stop'n'go then you shouldn't really notice too much of a difference and if you're hustling some you shouldn't notice too much of a difference but I can see where if you're constantly in-between you could become very aware of revving up to 3000 RPM and not as much movement as you would expect per db sound generated.
yup agree, that's pretty much how i feel about my car too. as soon as i punch it, the engine revs up high, engage, and rocket. i am cool with it though
Old 11-16-04, 08:32 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

As with many (if not all) performance mods, there is a trade-off. What you have described is pretty much what you should expect with the higher stall speed TC. Just a matter of getting used to it IMO, also the lower gearing of the Torsen LSD (3.76 gears) compliments the TC mod and helps the car to be in the proper rpm range more easily.
Old 11-16-04, 08:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Re: Question to all with PI TC

Originally posted by JCHO
Under regular stop and go driving, engine revs high to approx 3K rpm during the take off without much of "pull". Now my car feels like a v 6 engine with a turbo or something like it (no insult intened).
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. But then perhaps I don't do a lot of stop and go driving.

I absolutely love the TC (and Supra 3.76 gear lsd rear differential combo)!

It certainly does NOT feel like a V6 by any stretch of the imagination. Not to me anyway.
Old 11-16-04, 10:21 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Agree with Hameed-I should have clarified in my previous post that I also DO NOT think my car feels anything like a V-6 (turbo or not). I was only refering to the fact that the car will rev higher upon accelerating-which is what you are after.
I love the performance of the car with the TC mod (and others).
Old 11-16-04, 08:19 PM
JCHO
Rookie

Thanks for replies.

Like FutureGS4 said, I accept it is a trade off. I guess I just didn't expect it to be as noticeable with higher stall speed. I must admit I am enjoying and appreciating this mod more each day. Looks like LSD is next on the list.

If somehow we can get rid of stop and go traffic in DC.. (dreaming of course..)
Old 11-17-04, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thanks for replies.

Like FutureGS4 said, I accept it is a trade off. I guess I just didn't expect it to be as noticeable with higher stall speed. I must admit I am enjoying and appreciating this mod more each day. Looks like LSD is next on the list.

If somehow we can get rid of stop and go traffic in DC.. (dreaming of course..)
hahah, well, talk to bruce almighty?

but yeah, i am definitely enjoying it every moment man. it's no fun, coz' now i walk away from 540 easy
Old 11-18-04, 02:37 PM
JCHO
Rookie

Slowly but surely, I might be getting bit with the mod bug. I am fast approaching 60k miles, so TM plugs, SRT intake hopefully soon.

Also can someone tell me how much LSD's (+ general install cost) go for?
Old 11-18-04, 04:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Also can someone tell me how much LSD's (+ general install cost) go for?
Just ballparks:

TRD LSD = ~$800 + $500 install (expensive install due to TRD unit being only the insides of the pumpkin.

Supra LSD = ~$1500 new or $500-$1000 used + $300 install

The Supra LSD comes with higher ring gear for lower overall gearing and the TRD one uses the stock gears. Translation, the Supra LSD *really* make the car LAUNCH and accelerate harder in all situations, but at the expense of top speed (probably lowered from 150 to 140, just a ballpark again).

FYI, I have PI TC and Supra LSD as do a few others on here, and trust me, if you like the PI TC you'll LOVE the combo of it and the Supra LSD. The biggest difference for me besides the increased performance is that VSC kicks in SO RARELY now. I was really getting sick and tired of the VSC spoiling the fun so much. Sure you can turn it off, but I'm not comfortable leaving it off because it DOES serve a valuable safety purpose.

Anyway, hopefully this helps.
Old 11-18-04, 05:19 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up I concur!

Go for the Supra TT LSD (3.76 Torsen diff) you'll love it!
FYI- Pearlpower was selling his on the Marketplace last time I looked.
Old 11-18-04, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Just ballparks:

TRD LSD = ~$800 + $500 install (expensive install due to TRD unit being only the insides of the pumpkin.

Supra LSD = ~$1500 new or $500-$1000 used + $300 install

The Supra LSD comes with higher ring gear for lower overall gearing and the TRD one uses the stock gears. Translation, the Supra LSD *really* make the car LAUNCH and accelerate harder in all situations, but at the expense of top speed (probably lowered from 150 to 140, just a ballpark again).

FYI, I have PI TC and Supra LSD as do a few others on here, and trust me, if you like the PI TC you'll LOVE the combo of it and the Supra LSD. The biggest difference for me besides the increased performance is that VSC kicks in SO RARELY now. I was really getting sick and tired of the VSC spoiling the fun so much. Sure you can turn it off, but I'm not comfortable leaving it off because it DOES serve a valuable safety purpose.

Anyway, hopefully this helps.
with the supra tt lsd, the top speed is about 130 to 135 i believe. totally fine with me, i don't need that high of a speed
Old 11-19-04, 05:19 AM
JCHO
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I will probably look into getting this done hopefully in January (after X-Mas).

Meanwhile, wish me luck today guys! I have a friend who has been trash talking to me about how badly his 02' E55 will kick my GS's butt so we reserved an hour of track time for today 11 AM - 12 Noon EST to find out. Three other friends of mine will be joining us. They also have 01' S500, 02' E55 and 04' E55 (slight mod to engine with RENNTECH). We will see how things will turn out.
Old 11-19-04, 05:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

You're gonna get spanked. Sorry!
Old 11-19-04, 06:00 AM
JCHO
Rookie

Yup, I figured that but what the heck. Just like my golf game, I will try and try again.

I just found out due to liablity issue, we can't drag side by side. Single car time trap. My goal today is to stay close as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Question to all with PI TC