Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

3.76 lsd

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 06:22 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 3.76 lsd

After reading several posts about TC and LSD mods, I would love to do nothing more than install both on my 01 gs430. However, I'm not sure I want to drive around with the check engine light on all the time.
As such, I'm thinking of just doing the 3.76 lsd mod. I read in prior posts that some members have had problems hitting the rev limiter under wot. Since my car lacks the e-shift, I just leave it in drive and floor it. Is it possible that I can still hit the rev limiter after doing this mod? Thanks in advance for all help on this.
Old 11-26-04, 06:26 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not sure on the LSD question but

i THINK i read that Level 10 makes a TQ and you dont get the check engine light

let me check for ya ill edit when im sure

http://www.levelten.com/

http://www.levelten.com/store/import...arts_lexus.htm

i think a member (Fisher503)contacted them

and they had said they could do it with no check engine light

i'd get in touch wiith them ....

Last edited by T.L.W.; 11-26-04 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-26-04, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i also heard that someone had experience with the level 10 tc and he/she had very bad experience with them? i think he said just stick with pi, even though it has teh cel.

and for the lsd, if you are only running NA (no supercharger or turbo), i really don't think you will hit and stuck at the rev limiter. i have both the lsd and the tc and i have no problem shifting right the way at redline
Old 11-26-04, 11:20 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

rominl:
I have a dumb question...What do you mean by "teh cel"?
Also, when you are under wot, are you using e-shift or just letting the trans shift itself?

Thanks
Old 11-26-04, 12:14 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CEL - Check engine light

The condition of hitting the rev limiter is while NOT in e-shift mode. If you are in e-shift you will definitely hit the rev limiter if you run WOT up to redline and do not shift up in time.

Most people who hit the rev limiter with the TC don't experience it all the time. There have been a lot of discussions as to why or why it doesn't happen to everyone or all the time. Nevertheless, NO one can guarantee that it won't happen to you. What I can say is that unless you are under a full throttle racing situation, you will never run into the problem. You have to have it floored all the way to redline and it usually happens from a standstill from first to second gear. From what I have read, I don't think it occurs in any other gear.

In my own car I also have the modified valve body so the tranny shifts cleaner / quicker. I have the TC and LSD and do not experience this problem. The valve body mod may be helping in relieving this problem. Not 100% sure though.

My thoughts are the rev limiter bump would be of minimal inconvenience for most people.
Old 11-26-04, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by rheiy
rominl:
I have a dumb question...What do you mean by "teh cel"?
Also, when you are under wot, are you using e-shift or just letting the trans shift itself?

Thanks
nop, not in e shift. with the tc and lsd i usually just punch it
Old 11-27-04, 12:08 AM
RRocket
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

I will be building my TC from Edge Racing Converters. The have a peerless reputation. The use the stock GS TC body, but that's it. Everything put in it is heavy duty stuff. The turbine and impeller are furnace brazed. The wear surfaces are fitted for enclosed Torrington bearings and the drive hub and spline insert are made of 4130 chrome moly steel. The clearances are tightened for a more efficient coupling and the STR (torque multiplication is increased using the 3.0 stator with the element upgrades. The lock up feature is upgraded to the latest "high carbon" friction. The stall math is increased by changing the impeller and the stator. No cutting, no bending. This will not only retain the efficiency of the OE converter, it will increase it. Stall can be as high as 3100RPM. Cost is half of PI TC and others. Warranty is for 1 year. The also have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and that includes the cost of the shipping. You don't like it send it back. In over 8 years and thosuands of application, they have yet to have a return. So that's what my plans are for the spring..I will keep everyone posted to see how it turns out.
Old 11-28-04, 01:10 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I never had a rev limter issue with my ,"old" LSD 3.76 unit. Now that I have my stock unit back in place, I do not bounce even with FI. However I do notice a much slower off the line response.
Old 11-29-04, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Pearlpower
I never had a rev limter issue with my ,"old" LSD 3.76 unit. Now that I have my stock unit back in place, I do not bounce even with FI. However I do notice a much slower off the line response.
lee, so i am guessing, slower off the line, but that also means throughout the whole accel (say from 0-60)?
Old 11-29-04, 01:44 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
lee, so i am guessing, slower off the line, but that also means throughout the whole accel (say from 0-60)?

Henry, it's interesting. The car is much smoother through the gears. Before boost would kick in so fast and 2nd would hang and sometimes never shift at all. The more I tune this car, the more hp I am getting. I am not sure what impact there is on 0-60 or 1/4 mile. No doubt that the car is a tad slower from the launch now, but it shifts oh so well now into 2nd and 3rd. I will see what effect the 2.87 pulley will have shortly.
Lee
Old 11-29-04, 02:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Henry, it's interesting. The car is much smoother through the gears. Before boost would kick in so fast and 2nd would hang and sometimes never shift at all. The more I tune this car, the more hp I am getting. I am not sure what impact there is on 0-60 or 1/4 mile. No doubt that the car is a tad slower from the launch now, but it shifts oh so well now into 2nd and 3rd. I will see what effect the 2.87 pulley will have shortly.
Lee
definitely keep us posts how it goes. i would be very interested in knowing the effect of the stock vs supra rear end on the FI car, and see what other aspect is affected besides rev limiter, speed, and shifting
Old 11-29-04, 05:09 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks to all for your comments
I decided to go for it and I ordered a 3.76 lsd from RMM today. will take about a week for rmm to get it and another week to send to me. I guess I'll find out soon enough if there are any issues with hitting the rev limiter. I wish I would have made a decision sooner, cause I just changed my summer 18's (245/45 F and 275/35 B) to the oem 17's with 245/45 pilot sport all season's for the winter. Charlotte NC does not get much snow but since leaving California 5 yrs ago, we've had snow every winter since being here. In fact, in March of 04, we got 17 inches... even the all season's were usless on the car for 2 days.
Old 11-29-04, 08:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you notice with stock gear again that car feels faster, but not quicker. Pulls longer now, right?

When I went from a 3.08 to a 3.73 rear end in my old 5.0 stang, I definately had an increase in 1/4 mile performance due to launch. But once you were rolling it seemed to not pull as long. Just wondering if you noticed the same thing.
Old 11-29-04, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by chuckb
Do you notice with stock gear again that car feels faster, but not quicker. Pulls longer now, right?

When I went from a 3.08 to a 3.73 rear end in my old 5.0 stang, I definately had an increase in 1/4 mile performance due to launch. But once you were rolling it seemed to not pull as long. Just wondering if you noticed the same thing.
well, with stock gear yeah you pull longer, but the car doesn't go faster right? with the higher gear ratio it pulls faster, revs faster?
Old 11-29-04, 09:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by rheiy
Thanks to all for your comments
I decided to go for it and I ordered a 3.76 lsd from RMM today. will take about a week for rmm to get it and another week to send to me. I guess I'll find out soon enough if there are any issues with hitting the rev limiter. I wish I would have made a decision sooner, cause I just changed my summer 18's (245/45 F and 275/35 B) to the oem 17's with 245/45 pilot sport all season's for the winter. Charlotte NC does not get much snow but since leaving California 5 yrs ago, we've had snow every winter since being here. In fact, in March of 04, we got 17 inches... even the all season's were usless on the car for 2 days.
cool, put it on soon now how much did rmm charge you>

Quick Reply: 3.76 lsd