Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dragon T C & TRD LSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-04, 07:37 AM
Josey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dragon T C & TRD LSD

Hi, Guys : I have a mint 2000 GS-400 and I am thinking in getting the TC and the TRD LSD. The problem will be the install. I can probably handle the install of the TC (no brainer) but the TRD LSD is a different story. I understand that the Supra 3.76 is easier to put in but I don`t want to lose top speed ; somehow , the thought makes me uncomfortable. So, the way to go for me is the TRD. Now, how can I solve this install problem ? I need a shop with top credentials and reputation, people who do know how to do it right . This is what is being holding me. I am in NJ but I have being thinking that maybe I can ship the whole differential with the parts to the shop, they will put it together and ship it back to me. I really need some input here, Guys.... please, I will be grateful for any ideas. Thanks Josey
Old 11-27-04, 11:33 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a note. On a NA car the 3.76 is definitely faster from 0 to 135mph and anything in between. If you care that much about exceeding 135mph, go for the TRD. I think there is a speed limiter defeat available, but the brand escapes me for the moment. Installing that would be the best of both worlds I'd say.

As far as local shops to perform that kind of work, try posting the question in your regional section.
Old 11-27-04, 11:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't know about shps in NJ, you just have to ask around. and yes, the trd is a lot harder to install

imho, if you race faster than 130mph that's way too dangerous anyway. the 3.76 is so much faster from 0-130mph. the trd is better for traction when you turn, but other than that, it doesn't give you much
Old 11-27-04, 12:06 PM
Josey
Driver

Guys : I do not race at those speeds. If the thought of knowing that I am limited to under that speed that bothers me. Josey
Old 11-27-04, 01:31 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Josey
Guys : I do not race at those speeds. If the thought of knowing that I am limited to under that speed that bothers me. Josey
It bothered me, also, so I went with the ATS [Active Traction Service] Carbon LSD which is a clutch type LSD similar to the TRD. After nearly two years of driving in stop and go traffic and NEVER exceeding 135MPH, I have decided to change to the Supra 3.76 unit.

And... After two years of losing at the 1/4 mile strip to RMMGS4, who also has the 3.76 LSD, I decided I could not wait any longer. Could this be the year?!!
Old 11-27-04, 01:47 PM
Josey
Driver

Just a thought : how do I get a Supra 3.76 unit, in case I change my mind ? Does Carson Toyota sells it ? if not, who ? this is just a scenario, but I like to consider it.
Old 11-27-04, 01:56 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought : how do I get a Supra 3.76 unit, in case I change my mind ? Does Carson Toyota sells it ? if not, who ? this is just a scenario, but I like to consider it.

I got mine from RMM
Old 11-27-04, 05:20 PM
Josey
Driver

wow, this thing is considerably more expensive that the TRD . I check it out in RMM and they have listed for $1650.00 ... Is that the regular around price , give or take a few dollars ? Also, is it easier to install so I do it myself and save the installation ? I need some explaining there, as to how much easier than the TRD. If I can do it myself, then the difference won`t be that much, and I can avoid having somebody else touching my car.... This is just a thought , nothing concrete thou.
Old 11-27-04, 06:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Install of Supra 3.76 Torsen diff is a breeze compared to the TRD LSD.
Old 11-27-04, 09:04 PM
loonyrobert3
Lead Lap

so its kind of blurry for me can someone clear this up?... so the 3.76 is the supra lsd which gets u from 0-130 quicker and the trd doesnt but more traction on turns?????

thanks
robert
Old 11-27-04, 10:52 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I'll try to clear up a few of these questions if I can...
Josey-
~As others have mentioned, the only downsides to the lower gearing is a loss of some top end (few people ever go faster than 135 mph anyway-I sure don't) AND higher rpm while cruising on the highway-about 300 rpm higher depending on speed.
~As far as price, try Todd @ TM Engineering. He can do better on price (at least he did when I bought mine), but shipping will be expensive. These things are heavy-around 90 lbs or more. You're right-the unit costs more than the TRD, but much easier (less expensive) to install. No need to open up the diff and tear it apart and rebuild it. If you do the TRD, it is CRITICAL to have someone do it that really knows gears or you will have expen$ive problems down the road. With the Torsen 3.76 you are replacing the entire "pumpkin"- more or less a bolt on mod (assuming you have a lift etc.)

loony-
~Yes, the 3.76 Torsen diff (AKA Supra TT diff) will get you to any speed faster due to the lower than stock gearing. The TRD works differently but both LSDs will give you better traction than an open diff will.
Old 11-27-04, 11:01 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by loonyrobert3
so its kind of blurry for me can someone clear this up?... so the 3.76 is the supra lsd which gets u from 0-130 quicker and the trd doesnt but more traction on turns?????

thanks
robert
Yes the 3.76 is the Supra TT, that RMM sells. The labor cost of installing the TRD is a lot more than the Supra, so even if it sells for less you would be close to break even in overall cost, compared to the RMM price. You should be able to get better pricing from other sources besides RMM, but I don't know any resources myself. Steve blew away that price long ago, but last I heard he couldn't get that deal anymore.

There are used Supra TT LSDs available on the SupraForums. Gotta watch out though cause they made a 3.76 geared Supra rear end that wasn't Limited slip. Do a search on threads that described how to tell the difference.

As far as the TRD having better traction in the turns, that's splitting hairs already. Unless you already have the best suspension, lightest wheels, best tires, etc. don't put too much emphasis on it. Both differentials are vastly superior to the stock rear end and will kick butt in straight lines as well as turns.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-27-04 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-28-04, 07:35 AM
loonyrobert3
Lead Lap

this clears alot up!!!

thanks for everything!
Old 11-29-04, 01:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by redgs4
It bothered me, also, so I went with the ATS [Active Traction Service] Carbon LSD which is a clutch type LSD similar to the TRD. After nearly two years of driving in stop and go traffic and NEVER exceeding 135MPH, I have decided to change to the Supra 3.76 unit.

And... After two years of losing at the 1/4 mile strip to RMMGS4, who also has the 3.76 LSD, I decided I could not wait any longer. Could this be the year?!!
hahhaa, well, i can't wait until you install the 3.76 and race rmmgs4 again, that would be fun

and yup, after reaching 125mph once in my car, i decided that it's fast enough for me that i am not sure if i wanna try that again
Old 11-29-04, 01:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

just like future said, email todd@tmengineering about it he has some good price

Quick Reply: Dragon T C & TRD LSD