Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Swift Racing turbos

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-04 | 09:34 AM
blown in nc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swift Racing turbos

Any feedback about their kits? Getting ready to pull the string on the 2.5 kit, but get it installed locally so any "bugs" can be handled without a trip to Maryland.
Old 11-27-04 | 09:58 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

You might wanna try and search for info on the SRT kits. I think there was a lot of info about them on here back in the day. I have no personal experience with them.

BTW if no one has told you yet, you need to visit SELOC.net when if comes back up. (sites down for some reason.) We have several members in your area that are starting to have meets and stuff.

Last edited by amy011079; 11-27-04 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-28-04 | 04:34 AM
blown in nc
Driver School Candidate

DavesGS4 on here is on another site in Charlotte. My other car is a vette so 2 car clubs doesn't sit too well with the wifey, but I'll make it to some events when it's fast

Dave above had his blower put on by SRT. I have a local shop to install and tune. Just looking for pros and cons.
Old 11-28-04 | 04:07 PM
Turboturd
Driver School Candidate

Did you also check out other competitors?

www.toyomoto.com
www.turboeast.com
www.powerhouseracing.com
Old 11-28-04 | 04:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,426 Posts

There are (at least) two other SRT IS's rolling around in Charlotte that you can check out in advance before making a decision. Not sure what stage they've got though, and I know one (Chad - Eye_S) was having a boost leak he needed to get fixed before he tuned it. Both setups were self-installed by the second guy with the kit. He might also be a good one to consider since he's done it twice already.

SRT has its pros and cons. I personally have always had very good experiences with them & their products, but not everybody does. I think the biggest issue I've read about is communication because the amount of work they have queued up sometimes overwhelms when there is an issue and knocks off schedules, plus parts supplier slowdowns at times. I'd personally recommend them but there are a lot of options out there for the IS to consider.
Old 11-28-04 | 04:20 PM
Turboturd
Driver School Candidate

The best advice is to trust the tuner you pic. Ideally have them do the install work too, then there is nobody to blame for things. Too many times I've heard horror stories of finger pointing when something goes back between the kit maker and installer/tuner.
Old 11-28-04 | 10:20 PM
OKCIS
Rookie

the best thing to do is call them on the phone and talk to them and tell them what you are wanting to do and then see if you like how you are treated and if you think it will be a good fit for you.

SRT makes some really good stuff but there is some good competition also
Old 11-29-04 | 07:04 PM
1QWKLEX
Lead Lap

Everyone has great points about the topic. I've got their stage4 setup on my IS with the gte block and 75mm throttle body. I bought the car with the kit already installed by SRT but Mo has been great with me. I recently took the car back to them to have an idle air control valve installed and replace a cracked turbo manifold and everything went pretty well considering their tight schedule. You're not that far from them as I am (texas) so I'd recommend letting them install the kit, if you decide to go with them, that way anything out of the ordinary that you might need, they've got it there or they'll fabricate it onsite and you'll get the full warranty without any questions. Oh and to give you an idea on their service, while I was over there getting everything tuned out, my timing belt tensioner pulley broke while on the dyno and they had everything fixed the very same day and got everything ready for me to drive back to Dallas, Texas. That's my experience with SRT. Sorry for the long story.

Tom
Old 11-29-04 | 07:41 PM
blown in nc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I have called and emailed to order today, but have not heard from them. The 2.5 kit is turnkey and is basically a bolt on system with all the goodies for the transmission and the full 3" exhaust. I have faith that my brother-in-law could install it, but not tune it. Underground Racing has offerred to do both as well. They're here in Charlotte too.

Everyone says thier kit is the best. Alot of people said the ATI blowers are not good on vettes. I have one of the early "problem-filled" ones but have had NOTHING but success with it. The SRT set up is the most affordable with the turbo kit, tranny stuff, and exhaust for right at 7100. That's right at what the procharger set up for my vette was about 3 years ago.

Last edited by blown in nc; 11-29-04 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-29-04 | 07:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by blown in nc
Thanks for the replies. I have called and emailed to order today, but have not heard from them. The 2.5 kit is turnkey and is basically a bolt on system with all the goodies for the transmission and the full 3" exhaust. I have faith that my brother-in-law could install it, but not tune it. Underground Racing has offerred to do both as well. They're here in Charlotte too.
Let me know if you change plans and decide to drive up. I'm toying with the idea of a different engine management system depending how another member does with being the 'guinea pig', may tag along to have a couple of hours work done on mine.
Old 11-29-04 | 07:56 PM
blown in nc
Driver School Candidate

I won't be going to MD, I want it done here in Charlotte. If my brother in law does the install, I'll have Underground or Tom in Belmont tune it. Tom has a >700rwhp focus with a big turbo so he'd be good too.
Old 11-29-04 | 08:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yeah, I went down to Tom's a couple of weeks ago to dyno. We've also had a Lexus dyno event there a couple of years ago.

Tom definitely knows what he's doing but his dep expertise is Ford Focus turbos. I think I'd probably take it down to P1 Auto before him for tuning. They do a lot wider variety of import tuning from what I've read. Or Underground (my car is too low to make it in there w/o scraping).

I'd also do some digging on Supraforums to see where they recommend going for tuning in the CLT area. There used to be a good Supra tuner in the area, but he apparently went nuts and left a lot of people in the lurch.

Old 11-29-04 | 08:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

A few threads doing a search there. I think you have to be a member to read these:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...charlotte+tune
Originally posted by XplictMr2
If you wanan take a trip to georgia there are a handful of great tuning shops around, From just the top of my head that have a dyno are

Batlground
Balanced performace

and my personal tuner is tiger from tiger racing, he also does part time work for Balanced performance and had a t78 equipped supra with AEM.
One listing the crazy guy (Brad Mayo)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...charlotte+tune
Another listing GMP, Velocity Concepts

If you don't have an ID, I'll bump one for you. If you do, tell me the engine management brand/model and turbo that the 2.5 kit comes with so I can be more specific in my post please

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-29-04 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-30-04 | 05:42 PM
blown in nc
Driver School Candidate

I think the 2.5 kits are coming with the Haltech F10X management system.

I called Mo and talked today about the whole setup and let him know my wife would be calling to order for the "secret" Christmas surprise. I negotiated a KILLER deal on the whole set up to my door and my wife will think she got the "deal" for me for Christmas! Damn I'm sneaky

I emailed KC at Underground, but any tuning info is greatly appreciated. I dropped your name and he quickly told me that he did you blower.