Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My 99 GS400 w/ 65k miles sounded like it was about to blow up today when starting up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 09:07 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car does this after sitting for a few weeks. I believe these cars have hydrolic lifters which will collapse after sitting for a while thus making those horrible noises. The bottom end knocking is from the thick cold oil taking a while to lubricate the bearings. Also in a EFI car, flooring the gas pedal while cranking generally shuts off the injectors. If the ECU sees full TPS votage under a certain rpm while cold cranking, it cuts off the injectors. This is the procedure to follow when the engine is flooded.
Old 11-21-06, 04:35 PM
Neophyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Whoa this happened to me this morning! My GS had been sitting for the past two weeks and I went to start it and big puff of smoke came out the back, not sure what color it was b/c it was dark out but it wasnt the "normal" smoke you see when its cold outside and it was puttering like it wanted to shut off or something. After I drove for a while it went away and was normal acting. I hope this isnt normal because my car will be sitting for a while since I have a new daily driver...
Old 11-27-06, 09:03 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I let my car sit for months at a time (Knock on wood) I never ran into this problem.. I do ONLY use Chevron gas 93 octane and Only use Mobil Synthetic motor oil.. I just cranked my car after two weeks and its started right up no problems or noises.. I also put in in Techron Fuel System Cleaner every 5K miles.. Just wanted to give my input if its helpful to anyone..
Old 11-27-06, 10:48 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I let my car sit for months at a time (Knock on wood) I never ran into this problem.. I do ONLY use Chevron gas 93 octane and Only use Mobil Synthetic motor oil.. I just cranked my car after two weeks and its started right up no problems or noises.. I also put in in Techron Fuel System Cleaner every 5K miles.. Just wanted to give my input if its helpful to anyone..
I only use Chevron 93 octane unless none is available, then I will use Amoco(/BP) or Shell. Mobil 1 synthetic oil is all I use along with OEM filters - heck I even stockpiled on the Japanese-made Nippon-Denso filters when they made the switch to the cheaper design. And yes, I use Techron Fuel System cleaner - but for me it's the tank before every oil change - and I change my oil every 6 to 8k miles... so a little less often, though I use BG Products fuel system cleaner and fuel induction cleaner (very powerful stuff..) every 30k or so.

I am talking like I still own the car - I don't, but just wanted to say our maintenance habits seem to be pretty similar, yet I've experienced this problem twice so far.