Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Carson Tune Exhaust w/ B-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 07:43 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Carson Tune Exhaust w/ B-Pipe

I have the Carson Tune exhaust from the cat back on a 99' GS3. I like the sound, but I was thinking of getting the B-Pipe from Carson Tune as well. I'm concerned with the car being too loud. Does anyone have this combination? If so, how does it sound?

I'm also thinking about getting the SRT Intake, how should it perform with the Carson Tune (w/B-Pipe) combination? I also read/heard that the SRT Intake was very loud. Does anyone have a partially open sound proof/heat sheild or where I can get one from? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-03-04, 08:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

talk to lxogood, he has the carson tuned together with the b pipe
Old 12-04-04, 08:36 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both Carson tuned pipes and you gain a few HP through the mid-range with the B pipe. The sound it provides is only a little bit deeper than if you didn't have it on. However, with the two pipes bolted up, it sure does look sweet...

Here's a pic of the B pipe..
Attached Thumbnails Carson Tune Exhaust w/ B-Pipe-pics-1860.jpg  
Old 12-04-04, 10:44 AM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you think the SRT Intake will improve performance a great deal with current setup (no B-Pipe)? Do you know any place i can get the sound box/heat sheild? Or do you think that I'll get more HP from the B-Pipe setup?

Also, I know there is LSD / Supra 3.76 for the GS4, but is it availible for the GS3 as well? Oh, and I'm planning on getting the Dragon TC too. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-04-04, 12:44 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lexizm
Also, I know there is LSD / Supra 3.76 for the GS4, but is it availible for the GS3 as well? Oh, and I'm planning on getting the Dragon TC too. Thanks for the info.
I believe the GS3 already comes with some low (numerically) higher rear-end gears. Also, the torque converter is pretty loose on the GS3. Lexus made them like this to give the 2jzge a little more acceleration. The GS4, on the other hand, comes with a tighter torque converter and a higher (numerically lower) gears in the rear-end because the V8 makes a lot of power down low already. That's why people with a GS4 switch the TC and LSD. Pretty much, it's not going to help much on the GS3.
Old 12-04-04, 12:59 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Here's some info in another thread regarding gearing and the stall speed:

Here is the gearing for a stock GS300
. . .
Differential Ratio 3.916
So pretty much, you won't gain much from a gear swap because your stock gear is 3.9 while the Supra LSD is 3.75. You might get better traction when exiting from a corner with the LSD though, but I'm not too knowledgeable about that.
For the record, the "stock" stall speed for a IS300/GS300 is 2700, with a + or - 150rpms... This info was given to me from the guys at Luxury Motorworks which they found in their Lexus mechanic book.

After talking with P.I. today, they suggest doing a 3000 stall upgrade for all GS/IS 300 cars...
Changing your TC will adjust your stall speed a little higher, but you might not gain much performance for the money.

Hope this helps. All this info came from this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=138815

Last edited by LB Lex; 12-04-04 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-05-04, 12:23 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

lxo...any update/word on the gs3 headers from carson?
Old 12-05-04, 12:05 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 04GS300
lxo...any update/word on the gs3 headers from carson?
Zero...Nada... Sorry guys
Old 12-06-04, 01:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by LB Lex
I believe the GS3 already comes with some low (numerically) higher rear-end gears. Also, the torque converter is pretty loose on the GS3. Lexus made them like this to give the 2jzge a little more acceleration. The GS4, on the other hand, comes with a tighter torque converter and a higher (numerically lower) gears in the rear-end because the V8 makes a lot of power down low already. That's why people with a GS4 switch the TC and LSD. Pretty much, it's not going to help much on the GS3.
that's correct. the lsd basically won't work on the gs3, or i should say won't help. the gs3 already has a higher gear ratio, putting the supra unit it's only going to be slower. lsd gives you the traction, but off the line you lose big time already

for the tc, there is one for the gs3, however the gain isn't as noticeable as that for the gs4 coz' it already has quite high stall speed for more power. on the gs4 the tc gives a lot of power gain.

that's why you see more people with gs4 doing the tc and lsd mod
Old 12-06-04, 01:17 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
that's correct. the lsd basically won't work on the gs3, or i should say won't help. the gs3 already has a higher gear ratio, putting the supra unit it's only going to be slower. lsd gives you the traction, but off the line you lose big time already
Yup, NA motor should have shorter gearing & FI motor should have longer gearing
So i guess if you boost the GS300, you might want to get the supra LSD for the longer gearing correct? And keep it stock if you're all motor.
Old 12-06-04, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by mikal
Yup, NA motor should have shorter gearing & FI motor should have longer gearing
So i guess if you boost the GS300, you might want to get the supra LSD for the longer gearing correct? And keep it stock if you're all motor.
it could be true, but it also depends on how much boost you running and stuff too, it's all about tuning. some say 3.9 is tall for FI, but some says it's perfect. it all depends on tuning i guess
Old 12-06-04, 11:03 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

for the tc, there is one for the gs3, however the gain isn't as noticeable as that for the gs4 coz' it already has quite high stall speed for more power. on the gs4 the tc gives a lot of power gain.

that's why you see more people with gs4 doing the tc and lsd mod
I am sorry, Rom. No offense but did you just basically repeat everything LB Lex just said?
Old 12-06-04, 11:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
I am sorry, Rom. No offense but did you just basically repeat everything LB Lex just said?
and, so? at least i think i provided a bit more information as well. what's your point
Old 12-07-04, 05:47 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

and, so? at least i think i provided a bit more information as well. what's your point
So, nothing, bro. Just pulling your leg and trying to up my post count.