Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cost for 3.76 lsd install

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 08:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by rheiy
From all the posts I've read, way tooooo aggressive.
it's a bit too aggressive for normal driving i suppose, but i think if you really really know how to drive, you can probably still get more out of it

though with the gs300 rear end, maybe the top end will now be around 125mph?
Old 12-16-04, 08:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I got my 3.76 lsd delivered today. After talking with the service manager (I e-mail him a picture of it)
he came back with $235 for install and he'll let me watch. May not be the lowest price but their the only Lexus dealer in town. Anyway, I'll have this done last week of Dec while I'm on vacation. I also spoke to Blair at RMM and asked about what oil he recommends and he said regular Toyota diff oil will work just fine. Any one have opinions on this? Thanks
that's awesome! can't wait to hear about your feedback

for the oil, i used redline 75w90, and most people here put in synthetic too i believe
Old 12-17-04, 01:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I got my 3.76 lsd delivered today. After talking with the service manager (I e-mail him a picture of it)
he came back with $235 for install and he'll let me watch. May not be the lowest price but their the only Lexus dealer in town. Anyway, I'll have this done last week of Dec while I'm on vacation. I also spoke to Blair at RMM and asked about what oil he recommends and he said regular Toyota diff oil will work just fine. Any one have opinions on this? Thanks
$235.00 is a good price for the install.

As far as oil goes, I used Toyota LSD differential oil. The same oil used in a TT Supra differential from the factory. The service tech recommneded this and that was good enough for me!
Old 12-17-04, 04:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I used Mobil-1 synthetic gear oil 75W90 I believe.
Old 12-17-04, 07:35 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for all the input. Sounds like mobile 1, Redline (no additive) or Toyota gear oil will all work fine.
One last ouestion, do I need 2 or 3 qts for the RMM 3.76. (Blair at RMM couldn't remember)
Old 12-20-04, 09:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man they don't have a lot of cars to "remember" on already right?

2 qt, i have changed the diff oil on my car couple of times, always a bit less than 2 qts
Old 12-21-04, 06:12 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by rominl
man they don't have a lot of cars to "remember" on already right?

2 qt, i have changed the diff oil on my car couple of times, always a bit less than 2 qts
Thanks for the info. By the way, I ended up getting Mobil 1 at $8.00 per qt. for the lsd. Redline's not available around here and the local Toyota dealer wanted $50.00 per litre. Is Toyota LSD oil that expensive or is the dealer trying to pull a fast one?

Last edited by rheiy; 12-21-04 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 07:09 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rheiy, you sure you looked hard enough and in all the right places? I doubt you will find Redline products at your local Lexus or Toyota dealership. You are from NC which is smack in the NASCAR belt. Tons of racing fanatics in the NC area. You need to go to a speed shop and ask them for it. That would be your best bet. I will be in NC this weekend maybe I can bring you some

Last edited by DrewGS4; 12-21-04 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 07:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rheiy
Thanks for the info. By the way, I ended up getting Mobil 1 at $8.00 per qt. for the lsd. Redline's not available around here and the local Toyota dealer wanted $50.00 per litre. Is Toyota LSD oil that expensive or is the dealer trying to pull a fast one?
for me i had to go to some racing relevant stores to get the redline oil too, normal shops they don't have it.
Old 12-22-04, 05:07 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
Yeah, the local Toyota dealer is definitely ripping you off. I paid about $8.00 per qt for the LSD oil at my local Lexus/Toyota dealer.
Old 12-22-04, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wait i just read the part about the oil at dealership. 50 bucks per litre?! you gotta be kidding me... what is it made of @_@ i kinda wonder if they looked at the wrong price.....
Old 12-22-04, 02:07 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

wait i just read the part about the oil at dealership. 50 bucks per litre?! you gotta be kidding me... what is it made of @_@ i kinda wonder if they looked at the wrong price.....
I'm wondering myself...when the parts guy said 50 per litre, I said "Fifty as in Five Zero" and he said "that's the price...50 dollars per litre". I said "Thanks but no Thanks - Goodbye" I'll just stick with my 8 dollar per qt mobil 1.
Old 12-22-04, 02:15 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
Rheiy, you sure you looked hard enough and in all the right places? I doubt you will find Redline products at your local Lexus or Toyota dealership. You are from NC which is smack in the NASCAR belt. Tons of racing fanatics in the NC area. You need to go to a speed shop and ask them for it. That would be your best bet. I will be in NC this weekend maybe I can bring you some
I check with the larger parts stores like Pep Boys, Advance, Autozone and Procare. I'm sure there's some one out there with redline but I didn't want to start going through the phone book calling every shop in town. I did get Mobil 1 from one of the Advance stores. I appreciate the offer of redline, but for now I'll try the Mobil 1. Thanks again!
Old 12-28-04, 12:40 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

that's awesome! can't wait to hear about your feedback

for the oil, i used redline 75w90, and most people here put in synthetic too i believe
Got my 3.76 lsd installed today. All I can say is wow! The first thing I noticed is that shifts from
1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd go all the way to (but not past) redline. Previously, my car shifted just shy of 6,000. Now it's just a hair before redline - perfect - no bounce against the rev limiter.
I also noticed that at 80mph the tac's at 3,000 - w/o the lsd, it was at 2800 at 80 mph. For what it's worth, at 2800 rpm, the spedo showed 75. Not a bad trade off for a little extra power. I watched the Lexus Tech install the unit and I'm glad I didn't try it myself. With the right tools including a lift to jack up that 100lb unit into place, the install went very smooth. Tech said it fit like a "glove". He was also impressed when it took it for a test drive. 1st words out of his mouth were "ITS FAST" - You Wanted Fast and You Got It". Anyway, thanks to all you CL members out there who helped me with all my questions.
Old 12-28-04, 12:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hey congratulations again on the rear end! glad you are loving it so now you feel that the car is a bit lighter and it revs quite a bit faster huh? it's such a nice feeling

oh and it's kinda cold and icy over there in NC, careful

Quick Reply: Cost for 3.76 lsd install