Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cost for 3.76 lsd install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 07:49 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile LSD install

Originally Posted by rheiy
Got my 3.76 lsd installed today. All I can say is wow! The first thing I noticed is that shifts from
1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd go all the way to (but not past) redline. Previously, my car shifted just shy of 6,000. Now it's just a hair before redline - perfect - no bounce against the rev limiter.
I also noticed that at 80mph the tac's at 3,000 - w/o the lsd, it was at 2800 at 80 mph. For what it's worth, at 2800 rpm, the spedo showed 75. Not a bad trade off for a little extra power. I watched the Lexus Tech install the unit and I'm glad I didn't try it myself. With the right tools including a lift to jack up that 100lb unit into place, the install went very smooth. Tech said it fit like a "glove". He was also impressed when it took it for a test drive. 1st words out of his mouth were "ITS FAST" - You Wanted Fast and You Got It". Anyway, thanks to all you CL members out there who helped me with all my questions.

Nice review
When I got mine a lot of people wanted to know the RPM's and you included that.

I love mine and think it feels lots faster than stock. My wife has GS400 also, but without the LSD. So between the two it is easy to tell that the one with the LSD is the faster of the two. Last weekend we were at a light side by side and I was half a car lenght in front by the time we crossed the intersection. Of course that is not scientific at all. And the roads were wet. Which brings up a problem.
When roads are wet be very careful. You can end up with the rear swinging around in front of you in a big hurry if you get on it to much.

Once you get used to it you'll never want to go back. Out on the freeway when you hammer it to go around someone it does that faster to.

My shop charged me $250 to install. Which I thought was a little much but then they reminded me of the Tom's 6 link the Tom's lower rear brace and the exhaust all had to be dealt with.
How long did it really take them?

Welcome to the 3.76 club!

3dog
Old 12-31-04, 10:36 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3dog
Nice review
When I got mine a lot of people wanted to know the RPM's and you included that.

I love mine and think it feels lots faster than stock. My wife has GS400 also, but without the LSD. So between the two it is easy to tell that the one with the LSD is the faster of the two. Last weekend we were at a light side by side and I was half a car lenght in front by the time we crossed the intersection. Of course that is not scientific at all. And the roads were wet. Which brings up a problem.
When roads are wet be very careful. You can end up with the rear swinging around in front of you in a big hurry if you get on it to much.

Once you get used to it you'll never want to go back. Out on the freeway when you hammer it to go around someone it does that faster to.

My shop charged me $250 to install. Which I thought was a little much but then they reminded me of the Tom's 6 link the Tom's lower rear brace and the exhaust all had to be dealt with.
How long did it really take them?

Welcome to the 3.76 club!

3dog
Thanks for the welcome
The install took the Lexus Tech 1hr and 15 min not including the test drive. I was able to watch the entire procedure. Like your shop, the tech removed the exhaust pipe (the one that runs from the cat to the mufflers). Overall, he was really good - definetly knew what he was doing. In fact, before installing the lsd unit, he had to install the two axle pieces into the unit and noticed that the dust cover lip on one axle was bent in (due to shipping). He said not to worry, he can round it out and everything will be fine. Overall, I'm extremely happy with this mod. A bit expensive but worth every penny of it.
Old 12-31-04, 07:42 PM
jblex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.76 lsd

I work for lexus , seen your car when it was in for the install, sweet ride, glad you like the 3.76 if I can ever help w/ anything let me know
Old 01-01-05, 06:43 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jblex
I work for lexus , seen your car when it was in for the install, sweet ride, glad you like the 3.76 if I can ever help w/ anything let me know
Thanks jblex...I'll keep you in mind. btw, which part of service are you involved with? I think I know but send me a pm
Old 01-04-05, 03:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jblex
cool, we have another tech on board now?
Old 01-04-05, 03:56 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
cool, we have another tech on board now?
I hope so too but I have not heard from jblex...let's see what happens
Old 01-06-05, 03:52 PM
GSpeed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought mine!

Just bought my LSD from TM Engineering! I'm pumped! Can't wait.

My biggest gripe about my GS400 is the delayed throttle response. If I stomp, on it, I'm happy, but giving the accelerator moderate pressure gives me a 1/2 second delay on the power I need. This is not fun when you need the power.

Question: Does getting the 3.76 LSD improve that stock sluggish throttle response?

thanks!
Old 01-06-05, 05:55 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSpeed

My biggest gripe about my GS400 is the delayed throttle response. If I stomp, on it, I'm happy, but giving the accelerator moderate pressure gives me a 1/2 second delay on the power I need. This is not fun when you need the power.

Question: Does getting the 3.76 LSD improve that stock sluggish throttle response?

thanks!
That's a good question. I've read posts where other GS 400 owners adjusted the cable to improve response. The 430 is drive by wire. I never had issues with delayed response off the line. The addition of lsd just get's things going ever quicker. For what its worth, I too had the same delay with my previous 2000 gs300 and that had a 3.92 gear. I would guess, your still going to have a delay until you take up some slack in the cable. Good luck, keep us posted on how it works out.

Here's a thread on the cable issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ottle+response

Last edited by rheiy; 01-06-05 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-06-05, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSpeed

thanks!
umm...... imho it will help a bit, but mostly the rear end is for much faster rev up speed. in terms of throttle response, i think the tc is what you want
Old 01-07-05, 01:24 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

congrats on the Lsd

any more info to share ???
Old 01-08-05, 08:28 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LSD is a great mod no doubt. I just love the how the car accelerates now.

But words of caution: Just do not drive you car in snow unless you are going in a straight line. Puts more traction down but when going around a turn watchout if the ground is slippery.

My car swung around 180 degrees twice this past week. I have summer tires which do not help and the TC powering both wheels in slick weather is extremely dangerous. I barely even gave it gas and you can lose the car. Thank god I was going at low speeds, no accidents and no damage to the car.
Old 01-08-05, 08:56 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrewGS4

But words of caution: Just do not drive you car in snow unless you are going in a straight line. Puts more traction down but when going around a turn watchout if the ground is slippery.

My car swung around 180 degrees twice this past week. I have summer tires which do not help and the TC powering both wheels in slick weather is extremely dangerous. I barely even gave it gas and you can lose the car. Thank god I was going at low speeds, no accidents and no damage to the car.

even with the VSC on it swung around 180 ???

im wondering how this is possible ?
Old 01-08-05, 10:06 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
even with the VSC on it swung around 180 ???

im wondering how this is possible ?
My wife did a 180 with my GS last year on some snow (before I had the lsd installed). When we do get snow, I've noticed that the gs does not do very well. Even with moderate gas the back end wants to kick out., the VSC lights up and the warning buzzer goes off. Our es300 is usually the car of choice for the dreaded snow.
Old 01-08-05, 01:04 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile SNOW and GS400

I've got the LSD and with the Blizzack WS-50's in our snow and ice last year it was incredible. The car went up hills that kids and adults were riding saucers down. We have very steep hills here (south of Seattle) and I never encountered a problem. Could not ask for a better snow car with that setup.

However with my Mich. Pilot Sport A/S they don't care for snow and ice. Forget it stay home.

Get good snow and ice tires and you'll love your car in the snow.

3dog
Old 01-10-05, 02:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DrewGS4

drew, careful man. having the same setup here, i know what kind of power you are talking about. here we have bad rain these days too, and out of a corner, if i don't pay attention and start gasing normally, i already kick the rear out a bit already. i can totally imagine what it's like there with you in the snow!

drive safe!

Quick Reply: Cost for 3.76 lsd install