Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo 430

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 09:14 PM
Lexus4659
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 430

Does anyone know why its so hard to put a turbo on a gs430..I know everything has to be custom fabricated...Because I'm thinking about putting a turbo on my car, I found a shop that would fabricate everything...And is this an easy application or a hard one???:ee

Is it because the ecu is hard to crack and modify??? I thought SRT has a setup for the gs430, does this mean that they cracked the ECU????

Last edited by Lexus4659; 12-17-04 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 09:17 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Turbo 430

Originally posted by Lexus4659
Does anyone know why its so hard to put a turbo on a gs430..I know everything has to be custom fabricated...Because I'm thinking about putting a turbo on my car, I found a shop that would fabricate everything...And is this an easy application or a hard one???
Hard x20. You will need new everything. On top of that, you would need to have the ECU cracked. That is the toughest part.
Old 12-17-04, 09:29 PM
Lexus4659
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it because the ecu is hard to crack and modify??? I thought SRT has a setup for the gs430, does this mean that they cracked the ECU????
Old 12-17-04, 09:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

You can put a turbo on it with minor fuel/air changes, but you won't be able to tune it without to get much HP out of it. The setup that SRT sells is a TWIN turbo setup for the GS4xx.... I don't recall them doing a GS430 but I don't doubt they could do it (only GS400s).

The ECU would present a more minor issue, but all the stuff they have to do to fit it into the engine bay, beef up the tranny, etc make it a big project. I'd plan to spend $20 - 30K to get it done.

There is one member who has a single turbo GS430 by XS I think, check the GS FI registry at the top of the page.
Old 12-17-04, 09:57 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
There is one member who has a single turbo GS430 by XS I think, check the GS FI registry at the top of the page.
GSracerRY.
Old 12-20-04, 09:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i guess i will shed some light on the setup from my understanding. the spacing inside the gs is a big issue. it's just way too tight. it's hard to run piping and stuff to setup a nice turbo system with adequate cooling, let alone a tt setup. i believe i read somewhere that the srt tt setup, it's actaully touching something and rattling, but i cant' be sure.

when dealing with fi, you want cooling and spacing, that's the biggest enemy. and of course, on top of that the upgrade to the engine (block) as well as the tranny, that's also some big money.

for the ecu, in fact, that's not the hard part. yes you can't (or way too hard) to tune the stock ecu, however, if you are really doing such a setup alreayd, all you need to do is to get some stand alone ecu and it will be a lot easier to play with. even better, get a 6 speed and custom fit it to the v8 block, and then the ecu is even easier to mess with as well.

so on paper everything is very doable, the spacing is one thing that's always hard to deal with. the other stuff, as long as you get a check book it's all good
Old 12-20-04, 09:22 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can accomplish anything if your willing to put the time and money into it. The ECU has nothing to do with it, as mentioned you can handle this with a stand alone EMS, or even a less expensive piggy back style ECU. You dont need to touch the internals unless you are going for high HP #'s and plan on boosting up lets say beyond 8lbs.. You dont necessarily need to touch the tranny either, once again, it depends on how far your looking to go with the HP #'s. SPace is tight, but its the same scenario with the GS4.......

So to answer your question, it can be done.......go for it!!

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 12-20-04 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
You can accomplish anything if your willing to put the time and money into it. The ECU has nothing to do with it, as mentioned you can handle this with a stand alone EMS, or even a less expensive piggy back style ECU. You dont need to touch the internals unless you are going for high HP #'s and plan on boosting up lets say beyond 8lbs.. You dont necessarily need to touch the tranny either, once again, it depends on how far your looking to go with the HP #'s. SPace is tight, but its the same scenario with the GS4.......

So to answer your question, it can be done.......go for it!!

and that's what someone is trying to attempt now
Old 12-21-04, 09:54 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Uh oh...sounds like someone is ready to come out strong!!
Old 12-21-04, 11:26 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Do I smell a SCed SC?

I would love to see a GS430 Supercharged or Turbo with a 6 speed MT.

Sounds like a 12 second car to me
Old 12-21-04, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hey hey hey, you guys are looking at the wrong guy @_@ turbo, i was talking about you!