Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo for GS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 03:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
LOL, I am already allocating $15k for my single turbo for 2005. Looking at this investment, I might have to return the bodykit back to stock, as well as going with a less aggressive offset wheels and big fat tires. I am only shooting for 550-600rwhp mark.

I like the Boost Logic T67 kit and the built transmission. And that's already $6k.
hahahaha man, jon, you telling me you are going back to the "original" plan now?
Old 12-27-04, 08:17 AM
lex400pshR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
This system has some things that I would definitely change and I do not agree with all the statements on the website but the ease of installation and minimal underhood mods make this potentially an excellent street system and actually easier than a typical supercharger installation. I am no nooby when it comes to turbocharging cars and if you can look beyond some of the problems such as air filter location and oiling... there is tremendous promise not to mention stealth. They have already done systems on the Tundra 2UZFE V8.
I have already tried to do this setup. i've spoken to STS turbo.com and I actually have a T04-62:1Hifi turbo (brand New) all the necessary parts and electronics, i was dead set to making this work, but when I actually went to the shop to do it we found out that it will not work on the Gs4.

Not enough room, Where U see the Camero's with the turbo right under the trunk, That is not 4 me.

Where the 2 downpipes come down, There is not enough room, Maybe for a super small as turbo but not a T04.

Plus because of compression ratio 10:5:1, U can only run 4-5psi MAX boost on pump gas.
If U look at their Chart on compression U will see this....

If U got any info on this..... Let me know, because it is the cheapest route I see...
Old 12-27-04, 09:31 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(a T4/62 is F%$# huge) How about a Stock TD05-14B from 1 gen eclipse, can boost upto 18psi efficiently - no hot air, cheaply available with an internal wastegate, can use the BLITZ boost controller which controls boost gear based, Rpm based, and tune the fuel with afc.. How does the STS oil supply kit work, Can it be purchased seperately? - they just didnt want to sell me the oil kit seperately.
What I like about the turboVSsupercharger is the control of boost in our case run less in 1st gear so we dont hit the rev limiter and tuning is definetly better - Somebody try this out that has more knowledge than me.
thanx
Old 12-28-04, 07:47 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lex400pshR
I have already tried to do this setup. i've spoken to STS turbo.com and I actually have a T04-62:1Hifi turbo (brand New) all the necessary parts and electronics, i was dead set to making this work, but when I actually went to the shop to do it we found out that it will not work on the Gs4.

Not enough room, Where U see the Camero's with the turbo right under the trunk, That is not 4 me.

Where the 2 downpipes come down, There is not enough room, Maybe for a super small as turbo but not a T04.

Plus because of compression ratio 10:5:1, U can only run 4-5psi MAX boost on pump gas.
If U look at their Chart on compression U will see this....

If U got any info on this..... Let me know, because it is the cheapest route I see...
Well, there is a difference in working and practicality... it may or may not be practical but it will definitely work. Now, maximum boost is probably in the neighborhood of 8psi with good intercooling.

Yes, I know that STS says no intercooler is needed because of the pipe length... while there is some heat drop with the longer pipe an additional intercooler would still take out some heat and that will give higher max boost tolerance.

A big difference between centrifugal superchargers (vortex, paxton, powerdyne) and turbocharging is that turbocharging can reach peak boost at the engines torque peak. This is the most sensitive RPM range for detonation because torque peak is also cylinder pressure peak and that is when detonation is most likely. So, you may need to run a fuzzy logic boost controller that pulls out a little boost at torque peak and then puts it back at higher rpm in order to run similar peak boost as a centrifugal supercharger... even so the turbo will make more power under the curve and therefore be faster.

Now, when it comes to packaging you may need to run two smaller turbos for maximum ground clearance. There is no other advantage to two small turbos vs one larger turbo.

Of course you could install the turbo where XS Engineering does... right after the manifold... and remove the factory catalysts. You can re-install a catalyst after the turbo but without certifying that configuration you will not have emissions legality (this applies to any turbosystem with or without the factory catalysts and other emissions components).

Last edited by JBrady; 12-28-04 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-28-04, 08:10 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Here is a picture of the first XS Engineering low mount single turbo SC430 using a Garrett twin ball bearing GT3540 turbo.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=turbo

Last edited by JBrady; 12-28-04 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-28-04, 08:59 AM
lex400pshR
Driver

How much? this is not the 20K kit someone was talking about right?

Last edited by lex400pshR; 12-28-04 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 11:23 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Anyone know of anybody that has tried the Lextreme supercharger bracket? - its for a LS400 but should fit the GS, relocating the fuse box is required.
Old 12-30-04, 04:32 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lex400pshR
How much? this is not the 20K kit someone was talking about right?
My guess is in the $5k-$6k range. Try contacting XS-Engineering if you are interested.
http://www.xs-engineering.com/

LexT, I do not think Lextreme's bracket would fit a GS but the supercharger from Planet Soarer may work... possibly requiring a hood bulge.
Old 12-30-04, 11:35 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

XS Engineering is NOT cheap. Especially if you have them do the install. But their work well qualifies what you pay.
Old 01-01-05, 10:33 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Just curious Jbrady, why would'nt the lexetreme bracket not fit? Happy New Year everyone.
Old 01-01-05, 11:11 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

I'm not gonna do turbo for my GS4 anymore. I just picked up a 87 Turbo supra for pretty daym cheap. So I'm gonna mess around with it for awhile and find a cheap 2jz motor to do the swap. That way i can keep my GS in the garage during the winter and mess around with my turbo supra. How is that sound?
1987 Turbo Supra for $1000
1993 N/A Supra wheel for free from my friend.
Next HKS BOV, Front mount Intercooler, Turbo timer, Custom cat back,Suspension, and new paint job. I guess all the money i'm saving up for my GS wheels gonna be on this new supra.