Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo for GS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 10:14 AM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo for GS4

Anyone see GS4 with turbo or know anyone that done it before? I'm thinking about building my own turbo set up for my GS4. So i want to know what you guys think of it and should i do it or no?
Old 12-23-04, 10:22 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

There's a thread on this already.

I think it may even be a sticky in the GS forums. Not sure of the name of the thread, but something like "FI registry" or something like that.
Old 12-23-04, 10:26 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gs L-tune
Anyone see GS4 with turbo or know anyone that done it before? I'm thinking about building my own turbo set up for my GS4. So i want to know what you guys think of it and should i do it or no?

there are custom TT's and s/c's for the 400.....I don't know of a single turbo tho....DaveGS4, has a boosted 400......he'd be one of the best to ask for advice
Old 12-23-04, 10:36 AM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

Yea I know. I about to save up money and get the 2JZ motor and do single turbo but god daym its cost a lot and too much work. I just try to build a ghetto turbo kit for now see how it turn out. My friend and I build a turbo set up for his Supra turn pretty daym good and he spend around 3k
Old 12-23-04, 10:41 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I know. I about to save up money and get the 2JZ motor and do single turbo but god daym its cost a lot and too much work. I just try to build a ghetto turbo kit for now see how it turn out. My friend and I build a turbo set up for his Supra turn pretty daym good and he spend around 3k

IMO, you don't wanna do somethin like boosting half-assed........especially not with an expensive GS400.......

do it right or don't do it at all....especially when poor built turbos can compromise the reliability of the car
Old 12-23-04, 10:52 AM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

you're rite but daym i don't want to be liek Dave spend up to 20k to make everything rite that is a lot of money man. I can just put my motor out and get the 2JZ about 4-5k and get the T72 or T88 turbo and do single. I'm sure that i can get over 600hp. That is my plan but i'm not sure is it easy or hard to do that. Plus I never done wiring for this motor before so for sure that i will have some problem. If you noe any1 done this already please let me know so i can get more info for it. Oh by the way right now my friend and I building a turbo kit for his SC400. I think turbo for SC is a lot easier than GS. Hopefully it going to be done in a month will post some pix later
Old 12-23-04, 11:41 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

you're rite but daym i don't want to be liek Dave spend up to 20k to make everything rite that is a lot of money man. I can just put my motor out and get the 2JZ about 4-5k and get the T72 or T88 turbo and do single. I'm sure that i can get over 600hp. That is my plan but i'm not sure is it easy or hard to do that. Plus I never done wiring for this motor before so for sure that i will have some problem. If you noe any1 done this already please let me know so i can get more info for it. Oh by the way right now my friend and I building a turbo kit for his SC400. I think turbo for SC is a lot easier than GS. Hopefully it going to be done in a month will post some pix later

yeah you got alot more engine bay space in the SC.....the GS400 if you ever looked under the hood is virgin tight....

but if you want GS3 turbo answers, jtanoyo1 is the man to ask......he has a fully built TT GS3 and is going single turbo.....

Last edited by NT2SHBBY; 12-23-04 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 12:55 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

XS Engineering did a single turbo on a GS430 and an SC430...pretty expensive - around $20k
Old 12-23-04, 02:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

only 20k? i thought it would be more

but anyway, yes, i have seen tt on the gs4 and single t on gs430. it can be done, you just need a good shop and money. it's not going to be cheap
Old 12-23-04, 06:12 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
yeah you got alot more engine bay space in the SC.....the GS400 if you ever looked under the hood is virgin tight....

but if you want GS3 turbo answers, jtanoyo1 is the man to ask......he has a fully built TT GS3 and is going single turbo.....
Actually, Jtanoyo does not have a built TT GS3. His car is an Aristo V300VE and it came stock with the twin turbo set up. Unfortunately, we never got those cars here in the states...
Old 12-23-04, 07:21 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

If you had an older generation GS, things would have been a lot easier for you as you could have used a non vvt-i motor, transmission and ECU then call it a day. I had even purchased an instruction manual which goes step by step about doing the swap. Problem is that you don't have a first generation GS and the swap in the second generation GS is an entirely different proposition.

I assume you would still want everything in your car to continue working (A/C, tach, speedometer, etc..). All those things are controlled by the ECU and there is one fundamental difference between the non vvt-i ECU and the vvt-i ECU. One is analog and the other is digital. Second generation GS deal with digital signal. This means that you can only swap in a 2JZ GTE vvt-i to keep all the luxury and comfort that you are currently enjoying in your ride. Along with the motor, you will also need the transmission and ECU. The cheapest I have seen this package around was $7500.

BTW, you can forget about going single turbo on that motor if you are not willing to spend a good chunk of change. Since a T88 would put you over the 700rwhp mark, this is what you would need: forged internals ($5000), 1000cc injectors ($1600), turbular turbo manifold ($2500), stand alone ECU such as FCON VPRO, Motec or Pectel, (at least $2000) as well as a complete fuel system upgrade ($1000 for fuel rail, dual pumps and lines) not to mention transmission upgrades($3500). If you are willing to use a smaller turbo to get your car to about 650rwhp then call it a day, you can scrap the forged internals and get a cast iron manifold instead of a turbular manifold ($900) as they allow you to produce more torque and are much cheaper than quality built turbular manifold. Also, you would be able to go with smaller 720cc injectors ($1000). It does not matter how you look at it, going single will cost you at least $10,000 once you include the turbo. Of course, that's assuming you are doing all the work yourself.

If DaveGS4 only spent $20,000 on his set up, that is money well spent since I assume he also had his transmission built. However, if you can design your turbo headers yourself and have access to a good welding shop, you can achieve pretty similar results at a fraction of the cost. Some guys say they have done it for less than $5000. Don't be so quick to dump your V8 as there is plenty of power hidden inside that motor. You should check out lextreme.com. They have some pretty good dicussions about turbocharging the Lexus V8. I think there is a database problem with their site right now though...
Old 12-23-04, 07:42 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

LOL, I am already allocating $15k for my single turbo for 2005. Looking at this investment, I might have to return the bodykit back to stock, as well as going with a less aggressive offset wheels and big fat tires. I am only shooting for 550-600rwhp mark.

I like the Boost Logic T67 kit and the built transmission. And that's already $6k.
Old 12-23-04, 07:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Lol, Dave spent far less than 20,000 on his setup. I bought the supercharger used from TTurbopimp and also bought his valve body upgraded tranny (not a full race tranny).

Click on the FI registry link in my signature and you'll get an idea what various setups will do for the GS4 and GS3.

My thoughts,... if I'd known what I do now I would have bought a 2001 GS300 and done a serious NA-T conversion or dropped a GTE in it. I think you have better HP potential on the 2Jz. BUT so few people that 'talk talk talk' about adding boost ever do it that most should have bought a GS4xx in the first place and enjoy some the V8 stock performance. If a good opportunity comes along (like my supercharger) jump on it.

There is a lot of potential in the v8 as well, just not as big a knowledgbase and investment pool as the GS3 gets by dragging along all those years of Supra parts.
Old 12-23-04, 09:58 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

God daym all these good info make my set up sound good but daym the money put into it is way more than that. I think i'm just gonna keep my gs4 stock and find 1st gen gs3 that mess up and do the swap slowly. I thought i can do its a lot cheaper but i'm wrong. But again thanks for all the good info.
Old 12-24-04, 07:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

There are two critical sides to an FI project. Mechanical and electrical. Mechanical includes turbo/supercharger, intercooler, exhaust, plumbing, fuel system and drivetrain mods. Electrical is the controls and integration with the air/fuel calibrations and ignition timing. A few companies have been able to tune (to some degree) VVTi 1UZ and 3UZFE Lexus ECUs. Proper planning, sufficient fuel injector and pump capacity with appropriate tuning is critical. Luckily, some have already laid the groundwork.

Usually , superchargers are easier than turbos because you are only dealing with the intake side (cold side) and a drive belt mechanism. Turbos do not have the drive belt mechanism but require routing the exhaust (hot side) through the turbine to power the compressor. On these cars this is a difficult proposition as reaching the exhaust manifolds is a tough job. The XS system does not move the manifolds and instead places the turbo down low after the manifolds.

One potentially exciting system has drawn a lot of critisism elsewhere but IMO has great promise... the STS turbosystem: www.ststurbo.com

This system has some things that I would definitely change and I do not agree with all the statements on the website but the ease of installation and minimal underhood mods make this potentially an excellent street system and actually easier than a typical supercharger installation. I am no nooby when it comes to turbocharging cars and if you can look beyond some of the problems such as air filter location and oiling... there is tremendous promise not to mention stealth. They have already done systems on the Tundra 2UZFE V8.

Quick Reply: Turbo for GS4