Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 02:43 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every Gs is build a bit different, Some are stronger than others....

I was shocked to see my brand new car dyno at 225, but thats the Truth! The auto tranny eats all the power.... I looked at SRT and their numbers were similar so that is that.
Old 01-02-05, 04:53 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
225RWHP is 270HP (20% loss), I thought the 2000 GS400 was stock 300HP

255RWHP is 306HP (20% loss).
Your numbers are not correct.
270 hp x 20% loss= 216 hp NOT 225
306 hp x 20% loss= 244.8 hp NOT 255

Our cars are rated at 300 hp and assuming APPROXIMATELY 20% loss= 240 hp at the wheels.
I have read and seen numerous dyno runs on this forum that seem to support this as a BALLPARK figure for a stock GS4. Some are a bit lower and some a bit higher due to the numerous variables involved.
Old 01-02-05, 05:03 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lex400pshR
My numbers are too low???
Look, Here is a dyno from SRT themselves....
I didn't claim your numbers are "too low" just that they are very low based on other's dyno runs that typically fall into the 240 hp range.
Also, notice that according to the SRT dyno sheet (which I have seen numerous times BTW) that they don't show a 30 hp gain either-more like 22 hp.
This is why I made the statement in my earlier post. Sorry, I am a bit sceptical about claims by aftermarket manufacturers about their products. Nothing personal against SRT though, they make fine products.
Also, the gains on a given dyno on a given car on a day with weather conditions that differ from your own will yield different results.
If you got the numbers you claim, that's great! I hope I do when I install mine too (but I doubt it).
I would be interested in seeing your dyno run printout if you have it. I'm curious to see the power curve before and after...
EDIT: Yes, I know SRT's base numbers are low too. Different dyno's produce different numbers and cannot be reliably compared to runs on another dyno.

Last edited by FutureGS400; 01-02-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 05:24 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

Honestly man, I don't really care about the 20% loss with the tranny... Its just theory

I have seen my car on the dyno 2 times already.... That is the numbers that I got.
Its was at a respected dyno shop and my car was brand new with 5000KM on it when I dyno'd

I wish they where higher, but thats the truth..

SRT dyno is correct... If anyone knows about the Lexus cars its them...

my results were similar so I Support their claim 100%.

Like I said I will dyno my car soon and I will post pix. I will be interested to see your dyno results as well or if anyone else wants to share their dyno...... by all means.
Old 01-02-05, 05:27 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

One more question......
I know U become faster with the 3.76LSD, but those it make U put out more HP or TQ on the dyno? I've heard the TC does not on the dyno but U can feel it on the street.

thanx,
Old 01-02-05, 07:15 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Your numbers are not correct....
Opps, I'll take the Rather defense, I'm wrong but my point is valid
Old 01-02-05, 08:13 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

One more question......
I know U become faster with the 3.76LSD, but those it make U put out more HP or TQ on the dyno? I've heard the TC does not on the dyno but U can feel it on the street.

thanx,
Good question, I don't know the answer to that one. I've not had my car dynoed with the LSD and TC on it (or any other way for that matter )
I do know from what I've read that the way the car's transmission shifts and the way the TC locks up may affect the peak readings.
I can vouch for the improvement that the two mods make in actual performance even if they don't actually increase the HP output of the engine!
BTW, I didn't mean to imply that I don't believe your numbers. If it came across that way, I apologize. I have an SRT intake myself sitting in the garage waiting to be installed, so I certainly hope to get good numbers (whatever they are) like you did!
Old 01-02-05, 08:15 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
Opps, I'll take the Rather defense, I'm wrong but my point is valid
Hey no prob! Believe me, I've made WAY more than my share of math errors...
Old 01-02-05, 09:18 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

Its all good man,

I know U will gain like 30WHP,

But U felt like U gained major power when U put the TC and 3.76LSD?
Like 0.7-0.8 seconds 1/4 mile?
Old 01-02-05, 10:03 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Its all good man,

I know U will gain like 30WHP,

But U felt like U gained major power when U put the TC and 3.76LSD?
Like 0.7-0.8 seconds 1/4 mile?
Yeah, we're talking significant improvements in acceleration and responsiveness! I did the LSD first and it was awesome all by itself. Then I did the TC (with cooler) about a few months later and it was another big step in performance. The two work VERY well together.
Not sure yet about 1/4 mile times, my best run so far 0-60 was around 5.4 using my Passport G-Timer. I know I can do better-maybe 5.2 or 5.1 Hoping to get around 14.0 or even 13.9 at around 100mph in the 1/4.
Problem now is traction-I can easily smoke both tires from a standstill so I need to practice my launch technique. I'm reluctant to abuse the car in the process however...
If it ever stops raining here, I plan on a drive out to the dragstrip for some official runs!
Guess this is kind of O.T. now...
Old 01-03-05, 05:42 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
...I do know from what I've read that the way the car's transmission shifts and the way the TC locks up may affect the peak readings....
On a dyno, the TC never locks (unless the operator isn't running the a WOT).

Looser TC will have slightly higher powertrain loss, as will a higher gear.

On a drag strip, there won't be any difference in MPH at the end of the strip, the time will be faster.
Old 01-03-05, 05:58 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Honestly man, I don't really care about the 20% loss with the tranny... Its just theory
Power train loss isn't "theory" it's a fact. The fact the the first dyno run is soooo far down on power is hard to ignore.

I wish they where higher, but thats the truth..

SRT dyno is correct... If anyone knows about the Lexus cars its them...

my results were similar so I Support their claim 100%.....
IMHO, 30RWHP from an intake is very doubtful. Something is wrong with the numbers, esp since the first run is down at least 15HP from normal. Perhaps the airfilter was really dirty?

The right way to do this test is interleaved dyno runs switching between between intakes after each run. 6 runs total with 3 runs using each intake (stock and SRT). Then average the numbers and make the results available. When SRT does the test in a manner similar to how an auto manufacturers do it, they will have some credibility....

I'd be shocked if the SRT adds 5 RWHP, that's typical on other cars like GMs LT1/LS1 etc. I can't imagine Lexus is going to leave 30 RWHP on the table.
Old 01-03-05, 10:46 AM
lex400pshR
Driver

I have done 6 dyno runs in total on two different Occasions.....

There was a 10 mins cool down between runs..

SRT intake comes with a piggy back chip, its the total combination that gives u that 25-30WHP gain... More fuel + more air= More HP

So U can drive like this...hehe

My best time @ the track so far has been 14.9 at 94mph.... So its gonna take a lot to break into 13's..

I'm saying 20% loss is just a figure(theory) like when road and track says stock gs400 will do 14.5 in 1/4 mile which is impossible... since mine with best launch, Brake Rev, Chip + intake + full exhaust busted a 14.9 at best.... so U tell me...

And oh one more thing BTW U can't take the SRT intake + chip in and out like that, it takes a lot of time and once its in, I wouldn't tamper with it,

U can make a stock dyno run, then when U install the kit, do another one, which I did

Anything else would Be Uncivilized lol
Old 01-03-05, 06:44 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I have done 6 dyno runs in total on two different Occasions.....

There was a 10 mins cool down between runs..

SRT intake comes with a piggy back chip, its the total combination that gives u that 25-30WHP gain... More fuel + more air= More HP

So U can drive like this...hehe

My best time @ the track so far has been 14.9 at 94mph.... So its gonna take a lot to break into 13's..

I'm saying 20% loss is just a figure(theory) like when road and track says stock gs400 will do 14.5 in 1/4 mile which is impossible... since mine with best launch, Brake Rev, Chip + intake + full exhaust busted a 14.9 at best.... so U tell me...

And oh one more thing BTW U can't take the SRT intake + chip in and out like that, it takes a lot of time and once its in, I wouldn't tamper with it,

U can make a stock dyno run, then when U install the kit, do another one, which I did

Anything else would Be Uncivilized lol
Hmmm... your trap speed seems about right, but your 14.9 E.T. seems a bit slow. Just curious, what wheel and tire set up are you using?
I think Road & Track is pretty reliable when they quote actual times (as opposed to "estimating").
14.5 E.T. sounds like a possibility to me under ideal conditions with an expert behind the wheel.
The 20% drivetrain loss figure is fairly accurate based on historical data from other dyno runs...usually about 230 hp on the low side and 240 or so on the upper end of the scale.
I will try to schedule a dyno run before and after my SRT intake install (and possibly Carson Tuned cat back exhaust) to get some more numbers for the "data base".
Old 01-03-05, 06:52 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

Trust me, I'm a good Driver!
Gs gave all it had, I had a very good reaction time and the launch was perfect, thats what I got with all my mods, So how can a stock gs without these mods do better?

Theory states that its impossible, hehehehe

BTW when I was at the track I was on the stock 17's chrome with mich/Pilot sport 245's all around, Now i'm on 19's with 275's

Last edited by lex400pshR; 01-03-05 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake