Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharged GS400-Next step

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 11:19 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Supercharged GS400-Next step

OK, all is good with the supercharger. A tad more tweaking I believe and then some more dynos. But, one issue continues to crop up every 1000 miles. Belt tension. Belt slips at times and does not produce a squeal but you know it is slipping because of lost power at top end. Where as it would normally plant me in my seat, it would just accelerate like some slow M3.

Or this is an option for lower noise vs a cogged setup.
http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...ber=V2A038-285

So, any of you S/C folks thought about a cogged setup?

If so how far along are you?
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-08-05 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-08-05, 11:46 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

You need to run out and get the cogged set-up. For the money, it's REALLY worth it. Although I don't have on on a GS, I did have one on a Mustang. Made a big, big difference. Could also help prolong engine life. I had my car tuned for 18lbs of boost, but the belt would slip, which caused a much lower boost output which in turn caused the car to run a bit sloppy. Cogs are the way to go. No slip even a 20+ PSI. Good luck!!
Old 01-09-05, 02:21 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it Lee!!
Old 01-10-05, 02:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lee, you know you can't just stop here man
Old 01-10-05, 08:22 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Well the good news is that this is already a done deal. I'm proud to say that I played the guinea pig and had a setup done. I will attach a photo for everyone to check out. I wasnt going to respond untill tomorrow when I had a chance to really ring out the setup on the highway but I couldnt wait. The coggs are pretty cool I was told to expect some vibtation but I really didnt notice any, it is also not really any louder from what I can tell. What I did notice is that the boost comes on a lot sooner which is great. I think this is due in part to the fact that there is now zero slippage. With a ribbed belt even though you often dont hear the slippage or see a lot of black dust, there is often slippage which silently robs boost and throttle response.

The setup was a custom deal and ran me $950.00, it was done by a local shop here in Atlanta called Mahdavi motorsports. I was the first and there was a lot of desgin work and sizing that went into it so that may have raised my cost. The good thing is that all of this is now done and waiting to be repeated for anyone else that has the need. There were a total of 3 pulleys that had to be replaced / fabricated so that contributed to the cost. The good thing is that now I can change the blower pulley at will and not have to worry about belt slippage anymore. I beleive the blower pulley is a standard off the shelf item so you can go smaller without too much cost. Once I get to really check it out and put some mileage on it I will provide more feedback
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged GS400-Next step-dsc04951.jpg  
Old 01-10-05, 08:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,383 Posts

Morris, when's the dyno?
Old 01-10-05, 10:32 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

My intention is to get one done this week or next, I'll post up as soon as I get it done
Old 01-10-05, 01:16 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

It never ends thats why it is so much fun, I guess....

Well new changes are lined up.

If you look at the two top pulleys one is wider than the other, I spoke with Sam he doesnt like that and so we are going to have the pulley remade so that they are all the same width.

At the same time we are changing the pulley so that it will make the 10 pounds of boost at 5K or lower, instead of the current 6K rpm
Old 01-10-05, 04:03 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good Morris

cant wait for the writeup
Old 01-10-05, 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Way to go morris - you are a true pioneer! Looks very very promising.
Old 01-10-05, 06:03 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks excellent! Please do let us know how different it feels once you've had some seat time.

Nice work.
Old 01-14-05, 12:02 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

A freagin genius came up with that setup........

See Morris, Paul had it right. You're not a guinea pig at all, you're a pioneer.

Now hurry up and finish so I can get my car in there guinea....oops, I mean pioneer man.....LOL.
Old 01-14-05, 03:55 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

okay new updates, I broke a belt last week, we werent sure why so we ordered two new belts. They came in today, we put one on and all was good 10 pounds at 5K and about 3 pounds at 2K. Then the bad stuff came, the belt started to slip, mind you this is a cogged belt, they just dont slip, this one did and it was doing it at 4Krpm. It also broke the coggs got ripped write off the industrial strength cogged belt. So we are sitting around all depressed and trying to figure out what the heck could be happening. Cogged belts just dont slip, so the first thing we are thinking is maybe the blower is still hosed, that Vortech sent it back messed up. But that doesnt seem likely, while we are pondering this we are talking about backpressure on the pulley or resistance of some sort. But it doesnt make sense becuase the V2 blower is supposed to be good for 20pounds or more of boost, so it cant be that we are just spinning it too fast. Then Sam steps back fromt he car looks at the rearend and says hmm maybe the exhaust is hosed, it could be causing backpressuer through the cylinder which is preventing the blower from pumping the aire into the cylinder. Specifically it could be the catalytic converters, they do have over 200K miles on them and last summer I was getting some CEL codes that one was failing, the codes did go away but it happened on two separate occasions. On top of that I am running rich which also can clog cats, I do have Borla's so it is doubtful that it is the mufflers. so we are leaning toward exhaust system backpressure. Now when I am driving home I started thinking about you guys. Everyone includging myself was fine with the 3.12 pulley no one really was having problems with belt sippage untill we started hitting 7 pounds or more with the 2.87 or smaller. Then take into account that RMM keeps saying that the system is designed for 5 pounds and 5 pounds alone. It seems more and more likely that exhaust system backpressure is the culprit. I mean if it were something with the blower it wouldnt effect everyone. A common denominator of the overall belt slippage problem could be backpressure due to cats. I say could be because I dont think any of us have removed the cats, I think we all just changed out the mufflers. So it could be either the piping fromthe manifolds or the cats or the resonators. So Next week we pull the cats and put in test pipes, hopefully that solves the problem.

One other thing is that Sam uses the same v2 supercharger on a mustang he has and it does 20 pounds all the time without any slippage problem, so we know that the SC should be able to make 10 pounds of boost without a problem. But he does have a free flowing exhaust to go along with it.

let me know what you guys think of our theory?

Last edited by morris; 01-14-05 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-14-05, 04:55 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
okay new updates, I broke a belt last week, we werent sure why so we ordered two new belts. They came in today, we put one on and all was good 10 pounds at 5K and about 3 pounds at 2K. Then the bad stuff came, the belt started to slip, mind you this is a cogged belt, they just dont slip, this one did and it was doing it at 4Krpm. It also broke the coggs got ripped write off the industrial strength cogged belt. So we are sitting around all depressed and trying to figure out what the heck could be happening. Cogged belts just dont slip, so the first thing we are thinking is maybe the blower is still hosed, that Vortech sent it back messed up. But that doesnt seem likely, while we are pondering this we are talking about backpressure on the pulley or resistance of some sort. But it doesnt make sense becuase the V2 blower is supposed to be good for 20pounds or more of boost, so it cant be that we are just spinning it too fast. Then Sam steps back fromt he car looks at the rearend and says hmm maybe the exhaust is hosed, it could be causing backpressuer through the cylinder which is preventing the blower from pumping the aire into the cylinder. Specifically it could be the catalytic converters, they do have over 200K miles on them and last summer I was getting some CEL codes that one was failing, the codes did go away but it happened on two separate occasions. On top of that I am running rich which also can clog cats, I do have Borla's so it is doubtful that it is the mufflers. so we are leaning toward exhaust system backpressure. Now when I am driving home I started thinking about you guys. Everyone includging myself was fine with the 3.12 pulley no one really was having problems with belt sippage untill we started hitting 7 pounds or more with the 2.87 or smaller. Then take into account that RMM keeps saying that the system is designed for 5 pounds and 5 pounds alone. It seems more and more likely that exhaust system backpressure is the culprit. I mean if it were something with the blower it wouldnt effect everyone. A common denominator of the overall belt slippage problem could be backpressure due to cats. I say could be because I dont think any of us have removed the cats, I think we all just changed out the mufflers. So it could be either the piping fromthe manifolds or the cats or the resonators. So Next week we pull the cats and put in test pipes, hopefully that solves the problem.

One other thing is that Sam uses the same v2 supercharger on a mustang he has and it does 20 pounds all the time without any slippage problem, so we know that the SC should be able to make 10 pounds of boost without a problem. But he does have a free flowing exhaust to go along with it.

let me know what you guys think of our theory?
dang morris i feel your pain man , i tell ya i am watching listening and learning and am really headed for the twin turbo setup instead

best of luck bro , you will get this licked
Old 01-14-05, 04:59 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ed, how bout you head to the TT a little quicker!!

Quick Reply: Supercharged GS400-Next step