Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Standalone ECU questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 05:48 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 speed tranny and Standalone ECU questions

Originally Posted by morris

I like the idea of a manual and a 6 speed would be sick, the ECU worries me though, ecu issues are one of the cans of worms that I dont want to have to deal with. Perhaps if someone already has it figured out. In any event I dont have any immediate plans, but I figure I may blow my transimisson within the next 12 months so I better start coming up with a game plan for what I am going to do if that happens. The guys at level 10 say I am way past the hp limits for the current tranny now. Either way I spent a lot of cash on the car during the holidays I need a little time to recover.

(Romni)
morris, i will give you the solution here. get a 6 speed, you will need a new custom bell housing or so to get it to fit. might need to have a new drive shaft too

for the ecu, just get a whole new stand alone computer that will manage the whole engine. it will be so much easier to tune than the stock ecu especially you have FI, and you can really unlesh the potential of the car

i know it could be done, put it that way
So evereyone knows what we were talking about I didnt want to loose the prior discussion
Old 01-13-05, 05:51 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Well a couple of things come to mind I was told that a standalone ECU on these cars will have a negative impact on throttle response. Meaning that you hit the pedal but there is a pretty serious lag before you actually start moving. To your knowledge is this true, I just got rid of the poor throttle response that is standard.

Second if you use a standalone do you pull out the OEM ecu, if so how do all the other functions of the car get managed?

Third the custom bellhousing, I guess you would have to have someone fabricate it?
Old 01-13-05, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the bell housing yes it's a custom fab piece. depending on which tranny you get, maybe i can help a bit. when you are ready i can have more info for you, we can talk about that in pm (no i am not making it, i just have something "ready" for you)

for the ecu, you just totally pull out the stock one and use the new one to manage everything. the good thing is you don't have the tranny anymore, so the new ecu just deal with your engine and that's a lot easier to work with. if you get a good enough ecu it's going to manage everything perfect.

for the throttle response, i don't see why it's going to be slower?
Old 01-13-05, 10:59 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
the bell housing yes it's a custom fab piece. depending on which tranny you get, maybe i can help a bit. when you are ready i can have more info for you, we can talk about that in pm (no i am not making it, i just have something "ready" for you)

for the ecu, you just totally pull out the stock one and use the new one to manage everything. the good thing is you don't have the tranny anymore, so the new ecu just deal with your engine and that's a lot easier to work with. if you get a good enough ecu it's going to manage everything perfect.

for the throttle response, i don't see why it's going to be slower?
The stock ecu controlls a lot more then engine and transmission allone. To my knowledge it also controlls things like door locks and other stuff.
Old 01-13-05, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Richie
The stock ecu controlls a lot more then engine and transmission allone. To my knowledge it also controlls things like door locks and other stuff.
i wonder if tehre are other ecu inside the cabin for that. i know there are couple other ecu for the seats and even cruise control. the stock ecu might have something to do with it, but i have a feeling that those should be able to overcome
Old 01-13-05, 01:51 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

i wonder if tehre are other ecu inside the cabin for that. i know there are couple other ecu for the seats and even cruise control. the stock ecu might have something to do with it, but i have a feeling that those should be able to overcome
True, with enough time and money everything can be overcome.
Old 01-13-05, 03:08 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Sorry I let this linger all day, I actually had to work today, customers can be so demanding

tHANKS Romni, I will take you up on your offer, if I wind up actually going that route.
I was thinking that the ECU also plays a role with the VSC and ABS and the ignition with that key chip thing.

I had a mechanic tell me that with the emanage when you hit the throttle the car would hesitate for a second before it moved out. I guess that could be a combination of the stock computer controlled tranny and the fact that your now using an emanage.
Old 01-13-05, 08:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Sorry I let this linger all day, I actually had to work today, customers can be so demanding

tHANKS Romni, I will take you up on your offer, if I wind up actually going that route.
I was thinking that the ECU also plays a role with the VSC and ABS and the ignition with that key chip thing.

I had a mechanic tell me that with the emanage when you hit the throttle the car would hesitate for a second before it moved out. I guess that could be a combination of the stock computer controlled tranny and the fact that your now using an emanage.
yeah if you use emanage that could be a problem coz' i think it's like you use a computer to control another computer. that's why i am with the idea of throwing out the stock ecu and use the whole stand alone instead

now to be honest, i havent' done enough reserach on what else the main computer controls other than the engine and tranny. that's something i havent' gotten the chance to analyze yet
Old 01-23-05, 03:44 PM
LessEndz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i'm not mistaken...
the easiest way to do it..(still not THAT easy)
the trick is to use the StandAlone as a piggyback to the STOCK ECU. But you retain the stock ECU to control all subsystems functions.
so all you gotta do is fool the ECU
Old 01-24-05, 03:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LessEndz
if i'm not mistaken...
the easiest way to do it..(still not THAT easy)
the trick is to use the StandAlone as a piggyback to the STOCK ECU. But you retain the stock ECU to control all subsystems functions.
so all you gotta do is fool the ECU
yup that will always work, but you build a lot of overhead.

in fact that's how the rmm is430 was created.... maybe that's why it's running bad too
Old 01-24-05, 04:40 AM
LessEndz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup that will always work, but you build a lot of overhead.

in fact that's how the rmm is430 was created.... maybe that's why it's running bad too
build alot of overhead?
whatcha talkin about?

Must be nice to be RMM.. the luxury of having so much resources to utterly waste...
the IS430 is a pig...
they can't hide the fact when i watch video clips of them TRYING to sample it.
Old 01-24-05, 08:19 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 6 speed conversion has been doen may times overseas. There are companies in Australia that sell a conversion kit, which is basically an adapter plate to line things up. There are alot of things that go into this, the tranny, the adapters, custom drive shaft, clutch pedals, lines, reservoir, etc, etc, etc, etc........but it can and has been done numerous times. Go to lextreme.com, you can really educate yourself on that site. Theres dudes over there doing this **** in their garages, maknig their own adapters and stuff.

The Greddy is still a piggy back unit, but even if you go with something like the AEM or Haltech, you will still be running it as a more in depth piggy back.....mainly for the VVTI operations.
Old 01-24-05, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LessEndz
build alot of overhead?
whatcha talkin about?

Must be nice to be RMM.. the luxury of having so much resources to utterly waste...
the IS430 is a pig...
they can't hide the fact when i watch video clips of them TRYING to sample it.
well i was just saying that using some ecu to control the main ecu, just not a very efficient way of doing it that's all. just how i feel

and yup, the rmm is430 is pretty badly built.... what a way to waste that much money by lexus when they asked rmm to do a job, where they had so much resource and yet this result... oh well...
Old 01-24-05, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
The 6 speed conversion has been doen may times overseas. There are companies in Australia that sell a conversion kit, which is basically an adapter plate to line things up. There are alot of things that go into this, the tranny, the adapters, custom drive shaft, clutch pedals, lines, reservoir, etc, etc, etc, etc........but it can and has been done numerous times. Go to lextreme.com, you can really educate yourself on that site. Theres dudes over there doing this **** in their garages, maknig their own adapters and stuff.

The Greddy is still a piggy back unit, but even if you go with something like the AEM or Haltech, you will still be running it as a more in depth piggy back.....mainly for the VVTI operations.
yeah jeff, the company in australia they are a very good resource on this. though their stuff are pretty pricey sometimes, but that might be the only "proven" company
Old 01-25-05, 01:57 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

What company in Australia are you guys talking about?

Quick Reply: Standalone ECU questions