Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does the Torqueconverter make any noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05 | 06:22 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Question Does the Torqueconverter make any noise?

I got the TC and the tranny cooler installed yesterday.

Of course it goes like a "hungary tiger after a succulent rabbit" Very fast very fun even though I still have my Blizzaks on from the snow storm that never happened. They are coming off Sat.

Big question for all you guys with Torqueconverters.
I can hear the motor inside the car when sitting at idle. And I can feel a vibration that wasn't there before. I even heard the tailpipe rattle a little when I started out from a light tonight. Is it normal for the car to sound different or vibrate?

I called the shop and they have no clue.

I"m going to take it in Sat morning and see if anything is amiss. Perhaps something tounching something or not put back right I really don't have any clues.

Do you guys with TC's hear the motor or something that you did not hear before the install?

Puzzled in Seattle

3dog
Old 01-13-05 | 07:06 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

doesn't sound right to me Ivan. Maybe exhaust is rubbing? I thought I read before about a heat shield or something related to flywheel maybe too. I'm sure people with TCs will chime in.
Good luck.
Old 01-13-05 | 08:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

umm..... i have no idea man, i have no sound or so at all, very quiet just like the stock. only sound i have is the exhaust. and the vibration doesn't sound good to me
Old 01-13-05 | 08:52 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

No vibration, no different sounds, no change at all (other than performance of course!)
Did you buy your TC new? If you bought it used, maybe something damaged on it? If it is at all out of balance, you would get vibration... Good luck with it!
Old 01-13-05 | 09:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
No vibration, no different sounds, no change at all (other than performance of course!)
Did you buy your TC new? If you bought it used, maybe something damaged on it? If it is at all out of balance, you would get vibration... Good luck with it!
if the tc is in good condition, then i would tend to think that the tc isn't in place perfect and something is loose, causing stress the and engine vibrates
Old 01-13-05 | 09:21 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

agreed if it wasnt making these noises before

then its the mechanic job to check everything

they usually guarantee their work

dont let them bully you around

you know your car
Old 01-13-05 | 09:57 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 3dog
I got the TC and the tranny cooler installed yesterday.

Do you guys with TC's hear the motor or something that you did not hear before the install?
Yeah, me screaming YEEEEHAWWWW as the tires break loose and I'm pressed back into the seat.

But other than that, nothing that was not there before. Good luck getting that diagnosed.
Old 01-14-05 | 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It's probably just an exhaust piece or guard or something they didn't install back right. If the TC install or part was bad I think you'd have bigger problems.
Old 01-14-05 | 09:30 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Noise

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's probably just an exhaust piece or guard or something they didn't install back right. If the TC install or part was bad I think you'd have bigger problems.
Hey Paul thank you.
I've really been stressing over this.

Since I bought it used, my imagination has has gone all the way to having to take it off and reinstalling the stock TC. And of course paying all the same labor charges again. Plus the wife hasn't been real happy about the whole thing and has reluctantly gone along with it. So if it turned out I paid the labor for two installs plus the cost of the TC I'm sure I would not be seeing another one.

I got it from a guy who works for a Lexus dealership and he sent it to manufacturer to be inspected. It got a clean bill of health from Precision Ind. and I've got the papers showing that.

I told the shop owner on the phone that it felt to me like some part was in contact with another part and that could be transmitting the added noise and vibration. It really isn't something that is terrible sounding but I know what the car sounded like before and it has changed.

I'm taking it in tomorrow morning and we will put it up on the lift and try to figure out what is going on.

I've been taking it easy on launch because I want to protect the tread on my Blizzak snowtires. I have chirped them a couple times. I thought the 3.76 LSD was fast. But this car really is a lot faster now. I'm going to put my Mich Pilot Sport A/S back on tomorrow, and then I'll give it a little more gas on takeoff. I'm a bit surprised at how you can drive normal with the TC or go like crazy.
I have a feeling that once the bugs get worked out I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

Well I sure hope it is a simple fix.
And thanks again for the response.

Ivan
3dog
Old 01-14-05 | 11:46 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

It's likely a loose heat shield or something left loose on the re-install. The TC itself makes no additional noise at all.

Take it back to the shop that installed it and have them put it up and look. It could be something really simple.
Old 01-14-05 | 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3dog
Hey Paul thank you.
I've really been stressing over this.
You're welcome Ivan. I can certainly relate to stress around mods, the ups and downs we all have with 'em. Hopefully you can this problem solved quickly and then I'm sure you'll have a blast. In replacing the TC they have to bring down quite a few parts to get in there, so it's quite possible something was left loose or not buttoned up quite right. I'd get it checked ASAP though.
Old 01-14-05 | 07:37 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Ivan,
I had a clutch put in my truck lately. When I picked it up, it seemed fine at first. But after a little driving, I noticed a metallic rubbing sound when I would decelerate or hit brakes. I thought wtf. I took it back and they put in on the lift in gear with the rear wheels up and let it run. Turns out some kind of shield near the front of driveshaft was rubbing drive shaft when it would move up a little during braking etc. They bent it back and it's been fine since.

Hopefully it's just something like that and they'll find it and fix it.

BTW- do you hear it only when car is moving or all the time?

Good luck again Ivan.

Chuck
Old 01-15-05 | 07:28 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by chuckb
Hey Ivan,

do you hear it only when car is moving or all the time?

Chuck

It is the weirdest thing, everytime I drive the car it sounds different. For instance yesterday morning I went to back into a parking spot and had about a 90 degree turn and the noise got louder. It seemed to be effected by how hard I had the wheel turned.Then I tried to duplicate that in the afternoon and I couldn't. Also yesterday I was hearing the passenger side exhaust tip rattle. The engine idle in the cabin does not seem as loud now.

I am really beliving something is just not connected or is lose or touching something that it should'nt.

From what I hear it could be a heatshield not put back right, an exhaust hanger not put back right, and it also could be some bracket that ties the two sides of the tunnel where the driveshaft is located.

Well I have to be there in 30 minutes so I hope it gets solved.

Thanks to all of you for your help with this. I'll print this thread and take it with me.

Ivan
3dog
Old 01-15-05 | 01:43 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Noises After Torqueconverter Install Gone!

Hey good news,
The exhaust was resting on the Tom's Lower Rear Brace! Got that fixed.

So now the noise and vibration are all gone! I am very happy.

Also I got my Blizzaks taken off and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S put on. Now that makes a big difference. Lots more traction, and I don't have to worry about burning up the special rubber on the Blizzaks.

I tried launching with the VSC turned off and that seems even faster. This Torqueconverter mod really is fast and combined with the 3.76 LSD, this car is really transformed.

I barely hit the rev-limiter, so then I tried E-Shifting and that seems to work well.

One thing that I really like with the LSD is flooring it around a tight corner and feeling both rear wheels digging in. I'm not sure I can still do that with the TC as it is really easy to break the tires loose if I give it to much gas. Maybe I can learn how after a while.

This will take some practice to really get the hang of it, and of course we just started to get a mix of snow and rain coming down. The forecast for the next 5 days is more rain every day. But I'm sure there will be some moments when I can play with this new mod.

Thanks guys for all the tips on what could have been wrong. I have to admit I was really stressing, but it all worked out okay.

I'll post a review of how I like it pretty soon.

Ivan
3dog
Old 01-15-05 | 02:16 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I too would like to add the TC but I just don't want to risk the cel light. I've only seen one post where a GS430 did not have the problem. Have fun when the weather gets good

Quick Reply: Does the Torqueconverter make any noise?