Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone ever pass smog in CA with SRT intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 10:03 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone ever pass smog in CA with SRT intake?

Like the title says, anyone pass emissions with the SRT intake? Not the visual, I can get away with that, just want to see how clean it is or if it is close to stock. Thanks.
Old 01-16-05, 10:27 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svt5150
Like the title says, anyone pass emissions with the SRT intake? Not the visual, I can get away with that, just want to see how clean it is or if it is close to stock. Thanks.
I just passed smog with the K&N and then switched to the SRT. Still have the K&N CARB sticker next to the heat shield in the car. I'm curious as well.

For those with lowered cars & kits -- be extra careful as they test your car on rollers. The chains they used to hold my car in place would have damaged the kit if I had not caught them in the act and had them add some padding. Setup probably varies by shop but keep an eye out.
Old 01-16-05, 11:46 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info on the lowered cars with kits. I would hate to have heard about your TOMs kit getting messed up. Yea, thought about the K&N carb sticker on a SRT intake (just removing the SRT sticker) but want to know if it will pass.
Old 01-17-05, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah that's why with my cars i still take them to "known" places for smog. can't take any chances these days

about the intake, i think the carb sticker from the k&n will do, but the problem with srt i think is the ecu. i dont know how much it messes with the timing
Old 01-18-05, 08:48 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody seems to know the answer. Hmmmm. Paging all SRT user in Cali!! Has your vehicle 98 GS 400 with this setup passed Cali emissions?? Yea or Nay??

Thanks-

Doug

Surely it would be a bummer to bone out for this upgrade, have your registration arrive, go for the test, fail, be out the $60 for the test (not to mention the cost of the intake). Then ultimately have to take it off, replace it with the stock air box to pass-
Old 01-18-05, 09:22 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Doug, I would have to imagine that if you still have your cats (working condition), that you should pass smog fine. It's usually when people remove cats or get headers put on when problems with emissions occur. During the smog, I believe you only rev the engine to like 3K rpms which is very little in terms for the SRT ECU. The ECU really doesn't start working until after 3500 rpms when the car is starting to lean out then it adjust the fuel. You may have to call SRT and get advice. Where in CA are you located?

Ken
Old 01-18-05, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Doug, I would have to imagine that if you still have your cats (working condition), that you should pass smog fine. It's usually when people remove cats or get headers put on when problems with emissions occur. During the smog, I believe you only rev the engine to like 3K rpms which is very little in terms for the SRT ECU. The ECU really doesn't start working until after 3500 rpms when the car is starting to lean out then it adjust the fuel. You may have to call SRT and get advice. Where in CA are you located?

Ken
actually by law, smog test they have to look at the engine bay. if there are headers and intake, you need to have carb stickers for them. if no, then you automatically fail the smog test already, even if the number is ok. that's the law

alternatively, you can get that smog test fail, and then get your car to the state referee, if everything pass, then you get a sticker and you are immune from future problems
Old 01-19-05, 06:55 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Henry, I know... In his intial post, he said he's not worried about the visual part, he can get away with that. I'm just talking emissions...
Old 01-19-05, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Henry, I know... In his intial post, he said he's not worried about the visual part, he can get away with that. I'm just talking emissions...
oh sorry sorry. in that case, yeah, i think there is a good chance it will pass
Old 01-19-05, 11:24 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Why don't you just take off the SRT and put on the stock intake when you get it smogged? And you only have to do this every couple years, so it's really no sweat off your back if you really want this intake.
Old 01-19-05, 11:50 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Thx Ken and Rom.

I am in South Oc Ken. I have RMM exhaust, but, was curious, that if one were to upgrade the intake (SRT w/ Ecu) then have to pass a smog test that you may fail.

Is the install of the SRT set up a DIY deal? If so, then the switch out probably is not a big deal. What are these certification stickers you all speak of?? I am unfamiliar with these. How do you aquire one? If you have the sticker, and the SRT intake on the car, then given you have OEM cats and RMM exhaust, do you still pass? Given the car is tuned and running properly?

This subject is puzzling to me and I don't mean to be difficult, just hoping to better understand the ramifications of this modification and it's overall value-

Thanks-

Doug
Old 01-20-05, 12:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LB Lex
Why don't you just take off the SRT and put on the stock intake when you get it smogged? And you only have to do this every couple years, so it's really no sweat off your back if you really want this intake.
ummm if anything, the piggy back ecu that's soldered on the car, that might be the more serious problem coz' you can't just take it off like that i suppose?
Old 01-20-05, 12:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GS4DOUGIE
Thx Ken and Rom.

I am in South Oc Ken. I have RMM exhaust, but, was curious, that if one were to upgrade the intake (SRT w/ Ecu) then have to pass a smog test that you may fail.

Is the install of the SRT set up a DIY deal? If so, then the switch out probably is not a big deal. What are these certification stickers you all speak of?? I am unfamiliar with these. How do you aquire one? If you have the sticker, and the SRT intake on the car, then given you have OEM cats and RMM exhaust, do you still pass? Given the car is tuned and running properly?

This subject is puzzling to me and I don't mean to be difficult, just hoping to better understand the ramifications of this modification and it's overall value-

Thanks-

Doug
ok since you ask, here are a bit more info from my understanding.

as long as you have the factory cats, no one cares what kind of exhaust you got in the back. that's not going to affect emission at all, so that's not going to affect smog.

cats they will, so they need to be there. header and intake, they will affect the emission for sure and will cause issue on smog. some manufacturers (for intake / header) they send their products to the state for all the testing and stuff, and try to get their stuff "ceritified" to be used on cars, and that's called the carb sticker.

if you get something (for example the k&n intake), you will get the sticker and you stick it under the hood, indicating that the part is "legal" to be street use. when you do smog, the place will see the intake and look for the sticker. if there is one, fine. if none, you fail smog right there.

now say if you fail smog or get pulled coz' the cop thinks your exhaust is too loud, you will be sent to a referee. thsee are all state appointed person and they are very very strict. they will look at everything on your car, of course including the intake and header. they will also measure how loud your exhaust is, etc...

now if you pass the referee (for whatever reason) as well, then you will (this is the part that i am not 100% sure) get sticker for the afermarket parts on your car too, and you are safe for future to come. but i know it's pretty hard to get the sticker for the intake/header from referee

hopefully this helps
Old 01-20-05, 12:53 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
ummm if anything, the piggy back ecu that's soldered on the car, that might be the more serious problem coz' you can't just take it off like that i suppose?
I see, I thought it was one of those things that you just attach onto a port on the computer.
Old 01-20-05, 06:57 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
Actually you can take off the SRT ecu, most wires are tapped and only 1 is cut on thier harness. You can easily remove the ecu and put in a jumper wire on the harness and your good to go.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever pass smog in CA with SRT intake?