Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT Intake and ECU Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 09:27 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to start a war or anything, just trying to save someone from wasting their money. I was one of the early buyers of the SRT intake, i even payed 100 for the race ecu upgrade which is now standard on their intakes. My car isn't any faster, just louder.

I remember awhile back when the ATL crew went to the drag strips. The GS's with the srt intake were actually slower in the 1/4 mile.

Can you honestly tell me, that you can feel the 10 or 15 maybe 20 hp max from an intake?

If you want real power go with a supercharger or a turbocharger, hell, a torque converter would be a better buy than an intake.

http://prolexperformance.com/prolexp...oduct.asp?id=2

I would buy that kit, but i want more than GS 400 power. There are other tuners to look at as well, such as, Toyomoto, PHR, and SRT.
Old 01-19-05, 12:01 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PHML - Didn't know I stated anything about an increase in the lower range, but ok....
As I did state, you will get the most benefit of any intake system at highway speeds (mid/upper range). SRT's just includes a tuned ECU with their intake to compensation for the increased airflow.

As for questions on resetting your ECU with an intake. Even before getting an intake installed, I would always reset my stock car's ECU by pulling the battery for a couple of minutes every 3000 miles. The Lexus ECU learns your driving habits and adjusts your A/F ratio to give you better mileage which means less performance. After resetting my ECU, it seemed my car would chirp the tires a lot more. It was a pain to reset my radio stations, but worth it IMHO. The intake system, to me, made my car sound more aggressive at WOT, and I personally saw benefit with the system in encounters with other cars. If noise is a factor, then an intake isn't for you. But if you are looking for a start to performance, then you are on the right track with an intake.

Again, It depends on what you are looking for in performance, I have had almost every available performance opinion available for the GS400 (outside of Nitrous), on the same car. From mild (SRT Intake system, Borla Exhaust) to midrange (LSD,Dragon TC) to wild (Supercharger system then to a Twin Turbo). If you have any questions, PM me if you like.

Lee
Old 01-19-05, 12:53 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, you all gave me some really helpful info!

I'll start with an intake to compliment my exhaust for now. Noise IS a factor for me. I still want a luxury sedan, just with more power and sportiness. I'll be happy with GS400-430 power. So maybe the Pro-Lex performace Silent Flow Intake for the GS300. I like that it has its own box and uses the factory air dam.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 01-19-05 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-19-05, 01:33 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Darius2010
I like that it has its own box and uses the factory air dam.
No box. It is just piping and air filter. Everything else is OEM.

Old 01-19-05, 05:25 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
No box. It is just piping and air filter. Everything else is OEM.
Ooh. And that ALONE icreases performace?
Old 01-19-05, 07:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Darius2010
Ooh. And that ALONE icreases performace?
Supposedly larger pipe and more free flowing filter. I did feel a bit better response but only at the high end. Subtle though. You can also look into the new LMS one from LMW.

http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/superchargedintake.php
Old 01-20-05, 02:35 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks Neo!