Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT Intake and ECU Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 05:02 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRT Intake and ECU Questions.

I have a GS300 and want a little more HP/torque. I looked at intakes from AEM (IS), Injen, ProLex and SRT and it looks like its the ECU that seperates the SRT from the others. All are around $300.00 except the SRT - $600.

Can someone explain to me exactly what the ECU does? I read somewhere that it changes the air:fuel ratio ( )and that the other intakes will make the 'Check Engine' light stay on.

Any info helps - thanks!
Old 01-17-05, 08:24 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious too, so is this box adjustable for air/fuel ratio?
Old 01-17-05, 10:36 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Well, when you increase the airflow, you would want to increase the fuel also to match. That was one of the reasons I went with the SRT system (and at the time Team Lexus was using the same intake system in their race car). The ECU is not user-adjustable (think it is self-adjusting since it is a piggy back ECU) from what I know, but the included race ECU matches the intake perfectly and piggy backs the car ECU without causing any check engine lights, and the tuning is already done for you. I think there was a thread somewhere that showed the differences between the SRT system and other Intakes. I believe the SRT intake made the most power, and gives the most airflow to the engine. Just to let you know, intakes increase your HP/TQ in the mid/upper range.

Lee
Old 01-17-05, 10:50 AM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Darius,

Lexcing is correct. However you could go the other route with any of the other intakes, add a apexi SAFC, dyno it, and probably yield better results than the SRT. But then again that will be more expensive than the SRT which I believe is on sale from SRT for $475 now. I have the SRT and its louder than the other intakes from what I've been reading on here but it doesn't bother me to much.

Ron
Old 01-17-05, 11:29 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

BC - good point.
Old 01-17-05, 11:40 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There was a dicussion on IS300.net that the Toyota ECU relearns its A:F ratio and that the ecu becomes useless unless you keep resetting the battery. Thats why SRT stopped using the ecu with there turbo kits and started using the haltechs. Does anybody with the SRT have this problem or has proof that this doesnt occur?
Old 01-17-05, 01:35 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good question Gamma

i really like to know my self

hmmmm
Old 01-17-05, 06:39 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexCiting
... Just to let you know, intakes increase your HP/TQ in the mid/upper range.

Lee
All aftermarket intakes work best at high mid/high rpm. I dont know of any that gives any increase at lower rpm range.

Don't forget that the SRT intake w/ ecu is a bit noisy. I like it...now I just need an exhaust.
Old 01-17-05, 07:06 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GammaLex
There was a dicussion on IS300.net that the Toyota ECU relearns its A:F ratio and that the ecu becomes useless unless you keep resetting the battery. Thats why SRT stopped using the ecu with there turbo kits and started using the haltechs. Does anybody with the SRT have this problem or has proof that this doesnt occur?

Yes, I remember reading that. Basically, anything that is "piggybacked" onto the Stock ECU will need to be reset every 3000 miles or so to keep the car running at top performance. Even guys running Emanage / SAFC II have to reset. SRT dropped the Emanage for their Turbos and is using the Haltech stand alone ECU for better tuning and performance. Because our Lexus ECU is unable to be cracked, anything that is piggybacked is a temporary solution. A Stand Alone ECU is the only way to go but it costs $$$ and finding to tuner to install and tune one for our car will be a very hard find...
Old 01-17-05, 07:53 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so srt with the piggyback ecu requires you to disconnect the battery every 3000 miles to reset the ecu isnt this a bad thing ????
Old 01-17-05, 08:00 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i never take off my battery cables.. is this really neccasery i mean SRT never said anythign to me about that
Old 01-17-05, 08:54 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If need be, you can just pull the ECU-B fuse instead of disconnecting the battery ground, if this is a difficult thing to do.
Old 01-18-05, 08:14 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

If your looking for more hp/tq than this is the wrong mod for you. You won't gain any noticable power gains, but you will be able to hear alot of noise that might make you feel like you've gained alot ot power.

Don't waste money on rice mods!
Old 01-18-05, 08:41 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1niceride
If your looking for more hp/tq than this is the wrong mod for you. You won't gain any noticable power gains, but you will be able to hear alot of noise that might make you feel like you've gained alot ot power.

Don't waste money on rice mods!
Enlighten me. What can I do to add a little more kick?
Old 01-18-05, 08:47 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

LOL now darius dont start anything

LOL... srt intake if tuned correctly CAN add some HP thing is most peopel dont tune them they jsut install.. and we all know the best gains are form other sources anyways

Quick Reply: SRT Intake and ECU Questions.