Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Price on Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 04:42 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those DIY guys. i would wait a little until more things are coming out for the V8. The problem with supercharging 1uz is that the crank pulley is only 5.5" and because of its small size, its hard to produce high boost. We are making a two stage pulley right now for the 1uz and will increase about 30-40% in size. Therefore you dont have to run too small charger pulley. 2.62" is the smallest Vortech make for the V2 and it will slip at high rpm.

If larger crank pulley then we can run larger charger pulley and less chance for slippage. I think this crank is the solution to the supercharging problem with 1uz.....

If you guys are looking for 8 psi. Stay with stock injectors and use something basic like FMU. If you need more than 8 psi, then u should consider runing extra injectors. Therefore, you will have smooth stock idle and only extra fuel during boost.

PS. If you guys thinking about supercharger unit. I would go with ATI Procharger P1SC or D1SC. ATI is superior than Vortech because internal gearing ratio. Secondly, tts also a self contained unit with no oil tapping. My advice would be this.

<8 psi
*ATI D1SC without intercooling
* FMU
8-12 psi
* ATI D1SC with Water to Air Intercooler
* FMU with Extra injectors (2 550 cc/min)

12-18 psi
* ATI D1SC or F1SC with Water to Air Intercooler
*Copper Gaskets (.093") reduce to 8.75:1
* FMU with Extra injectors (4 550 cc/min)
With D1SC or F1SC, plenty of room for higher boost and no belt slippage issue...

Here an article u might be interested in: Supercharger Type and Supercharger Comparison

Last edited by Lextreme; 01-25-05 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 05:53 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lextreme, Are you making a bracket for us GS4/430 guys? I had inquired about the LS bracket in the past but I dont want to cut the fuse box wires. I'd be in on this, I'd wait.
Old 01-25-05, 06:08 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
For those DIY guys. i would wait a little until more things are coming out for the V8. The problem with supercharging 1uz is that the crank pulley is only 5.5" and because of its small size, its hard to produce high boost. We are making a two stage pulley right now for the 1uz and will increase about 30-40% in size. Therefore you dont have to run too small charger pulley. 2.62" is the smallest Vortech make for the V2 and it will slip at high rpm.

If larger crank pulley then we can run larger charger pulley and less chance for slippage. I think this crank is the solution to the supercharging problem with 1uz.....

If you guys are looking for 8 psi. Stay with stock injectors and use something basic like FMU. If you need more than 8 psi, then u should consider runing extra injectors. Therefore, you will have smooth stock idle and only extra fuel during boost.

PS. If you guys thinking about supercharger unit. I would go with ATI Procharger P1SC or D1SC. Its a self contained unit with no oil tapping.
so are you saying for a guy like me who is not after high horsepower and am comfortable with a modest boost of 5-7lbs i dont need bigger injecters , btw what is FMU , is that a front mount intercooler or adjustable fuel or what...
Old 01-25-05, 06:13 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
so are you saying for a guy like me who is not after high horsepower and am comfortable with a modest boost of 5-7lbs i dont need bigger injecters , btw what is FMU , is that a front mount intercooler or adjustable fuel or what...

fmu

http://www.lextreme.com/FMU.htm

you dont even need a intercooler or bigger injectors or fuel management

this will help cut down on price
Old 01-25-05, 06:15 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

FYI II ran 2.62 pulley on 310 injectors and stock fuel pump 11 pounds of boost and still had to lean the system out becuase it wanted to run rich.
Old 01-25-05, 06:15 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

plus i heard with bigger injectors the car wont idle as smoothly

would like to hear what guys with bigger injectors have to say ??? or
Old 01-25-05, 06:17 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

also what happens if the belt breaks

or falls off

does this effect the other systems ?

alt ....Powersteering etcetc
Old 01-25-05, 06:29 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I've been driving without a belt for two weeks now. Nothing happens, you may run a little rich but thats about it, everything else performs normally. IN fact the only way you know is because that sweet blower whine isnt there anymore.
Old 01-25-05, 06:40 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

how was the idle ??Morris
Old 01-25-05, 06:43 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Never had the slightest problem
Old 01-25-05, 06:46 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
fmu

http://www.lextreme.com/FMU.htm

you dont even need a intercooler or bigger injectors or fuel management

this will help cut down on price
so johnny are you saying that for my modest needs of keeping boost to 5-7lbs all i would need is a rising rate adjust fuel pressure reg .. i always wondered why no one ever just used that approach... i wonder if you couple that with using the 310 injectors if you still accomplish a smooth idle , oem like driving until you go into boost above 3k rpm ...
Old 01-25-05, 08:01 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

well if you go by what everyone does on here

you would go with bigger injectors, FMIC ,fuel management etc etc

the guy who im getting mine from hopefuly doesnt have any fuel management

using stock ecu ....no SAFC ...and running 11lbs of boost

from my understanding the stcok injectors can handle 8psi

and you dont need a FMIC for a system like what you want

not that it s bad to have either

johnny
Old 01-25-05, 08:02 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Morris,

Did u bypass the supercharger and run the oem belt? I am kindda confuse about running supercharger without a belt. I assume u bypass the supercharger pulley with stock belt.

Johnny was saying what happen if the belt break or slip off. If this happen, the car will drive until the battery is drain, no powersteering and no AC.... basically not good. However, if you bypass the SC, then you just going to run slightly rich.

Bypassing and slip off is two different events.

Supercharging is not turboing. Not much heat is produce with supercharging. Vortech made Mustang GT and Cobra supercharging systems for many years without intercooling. More than 8 psi, i would recommend it. However, less than 8 psi, stock injectors, no intercooling.

No intercooling, faster boost, cheaper, easier..... K.I.S.S... Keep It Simple Simple..
Old 01-25-05, 08:08 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Morris,

Did u bypass the supercharger and run the oem belt? I am kindda confuse about running supercharger without a belt. I assume u bypass the supercharger pulley with stock belt.

Johnny was saying what happen if the belt break or slip off. If this happen, the car will drive until the battery is drain, no powersteering and no AC.... basically not good. However, if you bypass the SC, then you just going to run slightly rich.

Bypassing and slip off is two different events.
Okay there are two belts one is the oem serpentine belt that hits the crank alterantor powersteering etc
The blower belt is separate and only connects to the blower, so if it breaks the only thihng that it is powering is the blower.

If the blower belt breaks since there is less air going into the engine, but the fuel map is still set for X amoutn of air it is still sending the amoutn of fuel that a boosted engine requires. But since the engine is not actually under boost you get a somewhat rich condition. But then you can just lean it out with the SAFC if it really bothers you. But I really didnt notice much of a differnce in driveabillity to tell you the truth.
Old 01-25-05, 08:39 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Morris,

I see what you saying. Good setup and the kit u have is not RMM. I remeber seeing RMM having the same belt. Secondly, you also have a two stage crank pulley also.

Quick Reply: Price on Supercharger