Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Price on Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 04:23 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Morris,

I see what you saying. Good setup and the kit u have is not RMM. I remeber seeing RMM having the same belt. Secondly, you also have a two stage crank pulley also.
Lextreme, I'm not sure if that was a typo but for the benefit of those following the thread, it is definitely a Rodmillen setup. Including having two top pulleys, if that is what you meant by 2 stage. I did recently change the pulleys out to a custom cogged setup, but the information I have been sharing thus far was done with the standard 6 rib RMM / vortech pulleys. I know a lot of people are interested in all the trial and error and testing so I want to be very clear for eveyones benefit.
Old 01-26-05, 05:28 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

For those DIY guys. i would wait a little until more things are coming out for the V8. The problem with supercharging 1uz is that the crank pulley is only 5.5" and because of its small size, its hard to produce high boost. We are making a two stage pulley right now for the 1uz and will increase about 30-40% in size. Therefore you dont have to run too small charger pulley. 2.62" is the smallest Vortech make for the V2 and it will slip at high rpm.

If larger crank pulley then we can run larger charger pulley and less chance for slippage. I think this crank is the solution to the supercharging problem with 1uz.....

If you guys are looking for 8 psi. Stay with stock injectors and use something basic like FMU. If you need more than 8 psi, then u should consider runing extra injectors. Therefore, you will have smooth stock idle and only extra fuel during boost.

PS. If you guys thinking about supercharger unit. I would go with ATI Procharger P1SC or D1SC. ATI is superior than Vortech because internal gearing ratio. Secondly, tts also a self contained unit with no oil tapping. My advice would be this.

<8 psi
*ATI D1SC without intercooling
* FMU
8-12 psi
* ATI D1SC with Water to Air Intercooler
* FMU with Extra injectors (2 550 cc/min)

12-18 psi
* ATI D1SC or F1SC with Water to Air Intercooler
*Copper Gaskets (.093") reduce to 8.75:1
* FMU with Extra injectors (4 550 cc/min)
With D1SC or F1SC, plenty of room for higher boost and no belt slippage issue...

Here an article u might be interested in: Supercharger Type and Supercharger Comparison

LEXTREME , i have heard the same thing about the procharger setup being superior to vortech from a friend and across the street neigbor who has a bad *** 04 zo6 vette getting ready to supercharge and thats the blower they go with for better power delivery and almost no reliability issues and the fact it is self contained... could you give me a heads up on exactly which model number would be applicable for a guy like me thinking about doing my own kit
Old 01-26-05, 06:12 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you guys say piping from wholesalers, who exactly are the wholesalers
Old 01-26-05, 02:56 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexforlife
so johnny are you saying that for my modest needs of keeping boost to 5-7lbs all i would need is a rising rate adjust fuel pressure reg .. i always wondered why no one ever just used that approach... i wonder if you couple that with using the 310 injectors if you still accomplish a smooth idle , oem like driving until you go into boost above 3k rpm ...
Just to add my 2 cents and hopefully clear some of the speculations, I was running my RMM setup with the 3.12"pulley, 310cc injectors, stock fuel pump, and SAFC2. With this particular setup I was seeing ~345rwhp at 5.5 lbs of boost and ran a little rich.

I just recently dropped to the 2.87 pulley and with all other factors remaining the same we hit 378rwhp at 9lbs of boost but way lean at 14:1, SAFC2 couldn't increase the fuel . Fortunately for me and my wallet, my tuner through testing was able to solve my problems by adding a fuel pressure regulator and a Walboro fuel pump instead of having to resort to the more expensive route of buying larger fuel injectors. And now I must say the car is running stronger than ever and life is good for now So, as far as I know, I am the only one running this particular fuel system set-up with there RMM supercharger kit..the next inevitable test will be to see if it's adequate enough for the 2.62 pulley.

The italics above are there because the initial attempt was to see if the Walboro pump alone would solve the lean condition- NO.
Second attempt- fuel pressure regulator and stock pump- NO.
Third attempt- fuel pressure regulator and Walboro pump-

And to answer another question- no changes in driveabilitiy of the car, idles very smoothly right around 500rpms and hits boost over 3500rpms ...
Old 01-26-05, 03:00 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great info Doctor

any things to look for when buying a FI setup or things you would have done diffrent
Old 01-26-05, 03:10 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Forgot to mention about the fuel pump. Gotta have it. Doc, i have a hardly used 2.62" if you are interested. Lex4Life, I have a friend with a Z06 and his kit is a Procharger P1SC. Personally, i would go with D1SC. Get D1SC so u dont have to upgrade again. I have a F1 in my Cobra and its running 17.5 psi with 3.4" pulley.

david

Last edited by Lextreme; 01-26-05 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 04:59 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
great info Doctor

any things to look for when buying a FI setup or things you would have done diffrent
As much as i wish i was, I am by no means competent enough in auto mechanics to advise you what to look for when buying a FI setup What i've come to know has been from this board and what i've learned about my own car from my tuner through all my "experimenting". As for knowing what I know now would I have done things differently? Probably not, just depends if Jeff keeps lowering his price on the TT setup and no one else bites j/k...

On a serious note, what you have to realize is that i was fortunate enough to purchase my car from another CL member who already had the RMM kit installed along with many other great mods which left me with a great platform and little to improve upon...As much as I've been tempted to buy Jeff's old setup, the more I consider it i realize i don't see the practicality of it other than being able to claim that i have 4xxrwhp...i mean with what i have now, believe me, it's a HUGE step up from driving a stock 400/430 or even one with moderate modifications. But very rarely do i actually experience the car's full potential simply b/c 1) i'm not all that interested in taking the car to a track, 2) Atlanta traffic hardly allows for it, and 3) i'm not too enthusiastic about spending a night in jail, paying a $600 fine, and risking my insurance premiums each time if I were to get caught going over 100mph here in Georgia! So I try not to get myself caught up in the numbers game- but it's hard lemme tell ya! i've got one more pulley size to drop, we'll see how that goes, if I can increase performance without having to spend more on altering my fuel system- than great. If not, then it comes off. Overall i can honestly say that I'm happy with the RMM kit and if you have a chance to get your hands on one I think you'd be pleased as well...Another thing you need to consider is, the more elaborate your FI system is- more $$potential problems. So you have to take into consideration- how much are you willing to spend for when/if things go wrong and also do you have other means of transportation each time your car is down when you have to have something worked on?

So that's pretty much my take on things at this moment in time- hope it helps!

Last edited by Dr.G; 01-28-05 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 05:25 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dr.G
As much as i wish i was, I am by no means competent enough in auto mechanics to advise you what to look for when buying a FI setup What i've come to know has been from this board and what i've learned about my own car from my tuner through all my "experimenting". As for knowing what I know now would I have done things differently? Probably not, just depends if Jeff keeps lowering his price on the TT setup and no one else bites j/k...

On a serious note, what you have to realize is that i was fortunate enough to purchase my car from another CL member who already had the RMM kit installed along with many other great mods which left me with a great platform and little to improve upon...As much as I've been tempted to buy Jeff's old setup, the more I consider it i realize i don't see the practicality of it other than being able to claim that i have 4xxrwhp...i mean with what i have now, believe me, it's a HUGE step up from driving a stock 400/430 or even one with moderate modifications. But very rarely do i actually experience the car's full potential simply b/c 1) i'm not all that interested in taking the car to a track, 2) Atlanta traffic hardly allows for it, and 3) i'm not too enthusiastic about spending a night in jail, paying a $600 fine, and risking my insurance premiums each time if I were to get caught going over 100mph here in Georgia! So I try not to get myself caught up in the numbers game- but it's hard lemme tell ya! i've got one more pulley size to drop, we'll see how that goes, if I can increase performance without having to spend more on altering my fuel system- than great. If not, then it comes off. Overall i can honestly say that I'm happy with the RMM kit and if you have a chance to get your hands on one I think you'd be pleased as well...Another thing you need to consider is, the more elaborate you FI system is, the potential problems. So you have to take into consideration- how much are you willing to spend for when/if things go wrong and also do you have other means of transportation each time your car is down when you have to have something worked on?

So that's pretty much my take on things at this moment in time- hope it helps!
dr.g i must say that was well said for thats exactly how i feel and i to understand that these cars do in fact have mech limitations for they were designed a certain way

i too am only after a modest 120-140 boost pwr if that and would truly be happy with 100 to the wheels for everyday driving
Old 01-26-05, 05:27 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Forgot to mention about the fuel pump. Gotta have it. Doc, i have a hardly used 2.62" if you are interested. Lex4Life, I have a friend with a Z06 and his kit is a Procharger P1SC. Personally, i would go with D1SC. Get D1SC so u dont have to upgrade again. I have a F1 in my Cobra and its running 17.5 psi with 3.4" pulley.

david

could you give me a idea of where to get a fmic made and piping and the almighty mounting bracket or least the exact p1sc to use
Old 01-26-05, 06:17 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Doc.....I would be careful with the 2.62", you are already pushing 9lbs of boost, you are now going to be treading into un tested waters. If your not into the numbers game, I would suggest stopping where you are, otherwise you may be spending money to get a new motor due to grasping for a few more HP. From what I have learned with dealing with SRT on a damn near dail basis, anything over 8.5 to 9 lbs, you better have your motor built....otherwise you are rolling the dice.

Oh, and by the way.....let me tell you from experience.....the GS engine is extremely expensive, even used.......your lucky if you find one anywhere for under 3 grand...high miles and all. A short block from Lexus is something like 8 grand....its crazy!
Old 01-26-05, 06:45 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

There is group buy on forged pistons somewhere.
Old 01-26-05, 08:19 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

From what i've heard Don't GO WITH ATI procharger system,

Its sounds good in theory that it should be better because U don't need to tap oil lines and such, it is more Maintenance which U have to do to it...(change oil in charger) I heard people saying bad things regarding how long they last... and many had problems..!!!

I say stick with Vortech, if its good enough for OEM its good enough 4 U, Lets not get Fancy Here.......lol
Old 01-27-05, 04:20 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

lex400pshR,

I noticed you "heard" about ATI. I personally experienced with two ATI. I had an ATI P600B and drove it for 80,000 miles trouble free and upgraded to ATI F1SC becaue of build forged internal. With F1SC i have about 10k on it and no problem at all. Total mileage right now with two ATI is about 95k miles in my Cobra.

I also played about with Vortech V2. I have the first hand experience with both. I honestly can said ATI is far superior than Vortech and ATI make more HP and Less work. V2 Vs. P1SC.... two up for P1SC.

Again, this is from the first hand experience. I would pick D1SC for any DIY kit. However, ATI will cost little more.

Self contained units is the future of ATI superchargers. ATI no long making inline oil system from now on. I talked to ATI and they stated from now on it will be SELF CONTAINED. No oil inline in, no oil line out. Save lots of money and work.

Dr. G, your engine can handle the extra boost and if you supply enough fuel and tuning, it will be very safe with 12 psi. I would say, go for it. If no one venture out to new territory, then we will never cross the line. Thousand of years ago, we believe the world was flat and everyone were affair to travel and thinking they would fall right off the planet. Those brave souls venture out and discover the world is round and we can never fall off the face of the earth if we travel beyond our confort zone.

Oil Change: ATI internal oil is to be change every 6,00 miles and it only take about 30 minutes for change the oil. Here is an article on the oil change issue. http://ati.procharger.com/newsletter/story6.html

Here is my dirty engine bay, but it has an ATI F1SC:
Note: 17.5 psi with 3.40" pulley, dyno at 9 psi yield 400 rwhp.

Last edited by Lextreme; 01-27-05 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 05:05 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

lextreme

i really appreciate the good info you are giving for i am going to do my own kit , i have finally decidied i don not need to spend 4k + on someone elses problems, just today i found where rod millen gets the so called "custom made intercooler" from , i have someone here in south florida who can make the piping without a problem , and talking to others here they to confirm running a modest boost level between 5-7lbs will or never req bigger injectors but will req the fmu and a larger fuel pump , the safc is good safe insurance to ensure no leaning out too much so i ask , where to get a special mounting bracket and exactly what size pully and belts

any heads up for this will be appreciated
Old 01-27-05, 08:28 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

ed
when you go to do your custom setup.. hit me up first maybe we will get a discount if we buy 2 of everything and install together as like a package.. for real
rick

Quick Reply: Price on Supercharger