Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question for Optima battery owners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 11:19 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Optima battery owners...

The Optima website shows no application for a GS400...I've searched here on the forum for a model number with no success.
What model # or group size yellow top Optima did you use and were there any "fitment" problems? Thanks
Old 01-21-05, 03:07 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll need the D34 or D34/78 (if you want the side terminals). Size-wise, they are both the same. They are smaller than the OEM ones so you'll need to raise it. The OEM cables won't fit just right either, particularly the positive since there is a plastic piece that forces a 90 degrees bend to the connector. All the fitment can be overcome though.
Old 01-21-05, 07:53 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neo
You'll need the D34 or D34/78 (if you want the side terminals). Size-wise, they are both the same. They are smaller than the OEM ones so you'll need to raise it. The OEM cables won't fit just right either, particularly the positive since there is a plastic piece that forces a 90 degrees bend to the connector. All the fitment can be overcome though.

Correct, your Optima dealer should have the adaptor which snaps on the bottom of the battery, if you are not the diy type go to Sears or someplace that will install it for you.
Old 01-22-05, 11:51 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Indio
Correct, your Optima dealer should have the adaptor which snaps on the bottom of the battery, if you are not the diy type go to Sears or someplace that will install it for you.
Thanks for the info guys!
So there is a plastic adapter or something to make this battery fit properly? I'll have to look into this further to see what my options are. My battery is the original and is 4 1/2 years old now so I want to change/upgrade before it fails on me.
Old 01-22-05, 01:24 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

I've gone through 3-4 units of yellow optima because of my system...

I never saw no plastic holder or whatever... Just took my old one out and put the new heavier unit in... Bada bing..
Old 01-26-05, 08:01 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Very Interesting I have nothing but problems with those batterys every color to from red, yellow and the blue they all seem not to last as long as they should.
Old 01-26-05, 08:28 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

There are number of facors regarding a battery
Electrical:
Voltage 12v [formed by 6 series connected cells which produce 2v each]
Amperage ... usually listed as CCA (cold cranking amps) [larger number is preferred] {depends upon how many plates per cell are connected in parallel to increase current capacity}

Physical:
height , width and depth
Type of terminals and size of termials
location of terminals
Sealed or not

Back to Optima ... electrically they have no problem

Physicall size is a problem
Optimas are shorter in height and need a pedestal to raise it up. Lately they are sold with the plastic pedestal but even then it is roughly 1/4" short once placed on top. Hold down does not hold the battery without adding washers. But can be done,
Fortunatley the width and depth are same or slightly shorter so it can fit in the space.

The last problem is a bit difficult to over come. Make sure you get the battery with the post terminals. [it can have both the side and the top post in which case you will not be connecting anything to the side terminals]. The problem is that the posts are located further in from the corner of the oem battery. The solution is to replace the cables or force fit the cables and changing the 90degree angle. This causes tension on the post. [ It has worked for me for 2 yrs now without braking off the post]

Net: One can jury rig the optimas for GS but they are not drop in and that is why not listed as such by the manufacturer.

Salim
Old 01-26-05, 08:33 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks!

Appreciate the detailed response. Since I really have no need of a deep cycle battery (i.e. yellow top) I think I'll just look for a Sears Diehard Gold or something similiar that fits just right. I've had good luck with those over the years...
Old 01-28-05, 02:44 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought a yellow top from Pep boys

and when i nstalled i found it wasnt as tall? as the lexus battery

so i traces the bottom

found a piece of wood to use a spacer painted it black

and good to go

i know when i searched i read someone else had to do this

it works car starts and im happy
Old 02-04-05, 06:16 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
...I have nothing but problems with those batterys every color to from red, yellow and the blue they all seem not to last as long as they should.
I bought a red one for my Impala years ago. Lasted three winter...$130 for a three year battery? Now I buy the $60 Autozone and replace it every three years as part of preventive maintance.