Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

faster 60-100 w/tc or without?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by redgs4
If the engine is running above the stall speed the TC acts as nothing more than a fluid coupler between the engine and transmission. So it does nothing to make you faster at that point.
Did I mention that I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express?
yup, well put. after the stall speed it's the same. but usually the car is at lower rpm and when you floor it it kicks in
Old 01-26-05, 11:39 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if my car is faster now from 60-100 with the TC installed. Mine also has the 3.76 LSD so whether the TC alone would make it faster from 60-100 is an unknown. Personally, I doubt it. However,.It definitely feels more responsive to throttle inputs (i.e. downshifting etc.) The engine is into the "power band" quicker now-especially with the lower gears, so it feels faster even while already rolling.
One way to tell would be to do a little side by side testing with two cars-one stock and one with the TC. Most people seem to do the LSD in addition to the TC though...
Old 01-27-05, 09:41 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 2800 stall PI TC and an LSD which retains the stock gearing. The car is undoubtedly faster off the line. The car definitely downshifts with much greater authority and enthusiam. If you are racing from a dead stop or a low speed rolling start the TC upgrade rocks.

The last time we were at Sacramento Raceway, RMMGS4 and I had several head to head battles. Are cars are pretty close -- his car is a bit heavier but he has the 3.76 and the Valve Body upgrade. When he launched well I could never catch up. When I beat him off the line he reeled me in time and time again. I now have a 3.76 LSD sitting in my garage but RMMGS4 is looking at FI. I'm never gonna beat tha SOB at this rate.
Old 01-27-05, 12:45 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 2800 stall PI TC and an LSD which retains the stock gearing. The car is undoubtedly faster off the line. The car definitely downshifts with much greater authority and enthusiam. If you are racing from a dead stop or a low speed rolling start the TC upgrade rocks.

The last time we were at Sacramento Raceway, RMMGS4 and I had several head to head battles. Are cars are pretty close -- his car is a bit heavier but he has the 3.76 and the Valve Body upgrade. When he launched well I could never catch up. When I beat him off the line he reeled me in time and time again. I now have a 3.76 LSD sitting in my garage but RMMGS4 is looking at FI. I'm never gonna beat tha SOB at this rate.

HAHA

I'll race ya up at SAC some time between now and before an FI option is installed.

The track is open on Saturdays up until April.

So REAL WORLD TESTS HAVE SHOWN that comparing a 3.76 LSD w/TC to a stock geared LSD w/TC, the 3.76 is faster from 0-60, 60-100, 100-135.

Like redgs4 said, our mods are similar and we have also dynoed at the same place and time, where our HP /TQ #s are within 2% of each other.

Now comparing how a TC vs. non-TC modded car will perform would be interesting to find out.
Old 01-27-05, 01:19 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
HAHA

I'll race ya up at SAC some time between now and before an FI option is installed.

So REAL WORLD TESTS HAVE SHOWN that comparing a 3.76 LSD w/TC to a stock geared LSD w/TC, the 3.76 is faster from 0-60, 60-100, 100-135.

Like redgs4 said, our mods are similar and we have also dynoed at the same place and time, where our HP /TQ #s are within 2% of each other.

Now comparing how a TC vs. non-TC modded car will perform would be interesting to find out.
talks of all this FI sickens me
Old 01-27-05, 05:50 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

HAHA

Yeah, let's get ready to rumble !!!!

I'm waiting for the Tom's exhaust to arrive before I get the 3.76 installed. John said it would save me some $$$ removing everything once, only.

And you know... I've been keeping my eyes open for a good SC deal myself.
Old 01-27-05, 05:51 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
talks of all this FI sickens me
In a good way, I hope.
Old 01-27-05, 05:59 PM
RMMGS4

In a good way, I hope.

Yeah, it is.

I heard he's got FI fever.
Old 01-27-05, 08:35 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure would like to have a "track day" for CL members to get some times with different mods-both FI and NA cars!
There is a track about 60 miles north of L.A. in the desert (Palmdale) that might work for something like this. I am going to try to get out there soon and make some runs.
It would be great to get some of the GS guys (other models too) for some heads up, LEGAL, and safe racing.

Old 01-27-05, 09:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

HAHA

well you still got the vb upgrade there, you know affects the shifting quite a bit too
Old 01-27-05, 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah, let's get ready to rumble !!!!

I'm waiting for the Tom's exhaust to arrive before I get the 3.76 installed. John said it would save me some $$$ removing everything once, only.

And you know... I've been keeping my eyes open for a good SC deal myself.
do it man, do it, we should just "collect" all sc kits here in norcal
Old 01-27-05, 09:52 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by rominl
well you still got the vb upgrade there, you know affects the shifting quite a bit too

Yeah, that's def. a variable that we can't gauge how much it's helping, but it's obvious that the 3.76 gearing put's me into the powerband sooner, so we know that it must be a major contributing factor.

Now if I race redgs4 with his new LSD and still beat him, but by a lesser amount, then hmmmm we might attribute it partially to the vb. Don't forget my car is easily 200lbs heavier.

Better put my car on a diet, NOT ME !
Old 01-28-05, 01:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah, that's def. a variable that we can't gauge how much it's helping, but it's obvious that the 3.76 gearing put's me into the powerband sooner, so we know that it must be a major contributing factor.

Now if I race redgs4 with his new LSD and still beat him, but by a lesser amount, then hmmmm we might attribute it partially to the vb. Don't forget my car is easily 200lbs heavier.

Better put my car on a diet, NOT ME !
yup if red with the 3,76 and still lose then it must be something else, i would say the vb. actually talking to some people, they say that the vb on the gs is actaully pretty useful on the speed. the stock ecu shifting is very conservative, and then vb helps a lot
Old 01-28-05, 10:27 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yup if red with the 3,76 and still lose then it must be something else, i would say the vb. actually talking to some people, they say that the vb on the gs is actaully pretty useful on the speed. the stock ecu shifting is very conservative, and then vb helps a lot
There's two shifts in the quarter mile. On my car the 1-2 shift is firm and pretty quick but the 2-3 shift is slower and the car seems to hesitate. I'm hoping to get the valve body upgraded at some point.

I'd like to thank everyone for not mentioning "driver incompetence" as a possible reason that I keep losing to RMMGS4. It's gotta be the hardware.
Old 01-31-05, 02:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

There's two shifts in the quarter mile. On my car the 1-2 shift is firm and pretty quick but the 2-3 shift is slower and the car seems to hesitate. I'm hoping to get the valve body upgraded at some point.

I'd like to thank everyone for not mentioning "driver incompetence" as a possible reason that I keep losing to RMMGS4. It's gotta be the hardware.
you know, just to make the game fair, why not you and rmmgs4 swap drivers and take a race?

Quick Reply: faster 60-100 w/tc or without?