Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

faster 60-100 w/tc or without?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 08:51 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faster 60-100 w/tc or without?

Would a gs430 be quicker from 60-100 with a p.i. dragon torque converter or without? I know the tc makes it quicker 0-60 but I'm wondering about the effect at higher speed. Also - is the daily drivablity with the tc as good as without - I don't mind a check engine light, but I don't want the cars smoothness to be effected.

Lastly - where's a good place to get the tc and tranny cooler. TM Engineering is the only place I've found so far - I may get the tc there - the tranny cooler that they carry though isn't the one I remember seeing people in the club recommend. I can't remember what type of tranny cooler people were recommending and where to get it...
Thanks.
Old 01-23-05, 10:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,585 Posts

> Would a gs430 be quicker from 60-100 with a p.i. dragon torque converter or without?

I would say yes because downshifts happen more easily, but not a big difference.

> is the daily drivablity with the tc as good as without - I don't mind a check engine light, but I don't want the cars smoothness to be effected.

Car will be smoother because shifts are smoother.

> where's a good place to get the tc and tranny cooler.

I've heard nothing but good about TM Engineering as you mentioned, but I'm sure Carson Toyota at l-tunedparts.com can also get it.

> the tranny cooler that they carry though isn't the one I remember seeing people in the club recommend. I can't remember what type of tranny cooler people were recommending and where to get it...

Many have a B&M Racing cooler but a Hayden or other brands should be fine too - this device isn't rocket science (just a big heat sink with an inlet and outlet as far as I can tell).
Old 01-23-05, 04:48 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I concur with Bitkahuna on the questions you had. The TC driveability is excellent. Your engine revving higher from a stop is really the main difference. You can drive the car as easily as you want or you can really move out fast with the TC when you want!
The cooler I used (and would recommend) is the B&M model 70264 which is a good size and a stacked plated design which I prefer to the tube and fin type. Summit Racing has them for about $50 or so and it comes with all the hoses etc. too.
Todd at TM engineering is great to do business with!
Old 01-23-05, 11:07 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Cool - thanks for the answers guys.
Old 01-24-05, 03:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would concur that the tc will make the car faster at all speed too. there is no doubt that my car pulls from any speed to 120 a lot faster. the other night i just gunned all the way to abuot 120 toying a maxima, and the car just pulled hard all the way (even my wife was enjoying it)

for the tranny cooler, actually the B&M one that TM engineering recommends (that's the one futuregs400 and i have now) are very similiar to the B&M one most people here recommend. the one TM recommends are actually even better with a bit more area
Old 01-24-05, 01:24 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
for the tranny cooler, actually the B&M one that TM engineering recommends (that's the one futuregs400 and i have now) are very similiar to the B&M one most people here recommend. the one TM recommends are actually even better with a bit more area
Which model # is that? I'm about to purchase one for my TC install.
Old 01-24-05, 09:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

bm racing 70264
Old 01-24-05, 11:32 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
bm racing 70264
T h a n k s !
Old 01-25-05, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 400DGRZ
T h a n k s !
you are welcome that's what tm engineering has been using, and i have had that on my car for a long time, so far so good
Old 01-25-05, 09:35 AM
daleer
Pole Position

It's strange that tmengineering recommends the B&M cooler - yet on the webpage where they sell the torque converters, they're listing a universal tranny cooler to go with it...

http://www.tmengineering.net/perform...ake/lexus.html
Old 01-26-05, 10:16 AM
daleer
Pole Position

One other quesion on the tc. Is this an addition - or a replacement for a stock tc that comes on the gs?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-05, 10:28 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daleer
One other quesion on the tc. Is this an addition - or a replacement for a stock tc that comes on the gs?

Thanks.
It replaces the stock unit. And not to create a stir, but from what I know - the PI TC gives you better kick off the line [from a stop] and may help speed up down shifts, but it makes no difference in a 60-100 run. The 3.76 gearing that many folks have will make you faster at all speeds but limits your top speed to about 135mph.
Old 01-26-05, 11:07 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Thanks - so the pi tc ONLY makes you faster from a complete standstill?? If so then that hardly seems worth it
Old 01-26-05, 12:19 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

no, higher stall torque converter generally makes you go faster from all point. It also depends on the fluid you choose to be put in there.

however, as shifting goes, how a automatic tranny shift is not related to the tc, its all up to the valve body of the tranny to decided the pressure in the line, which affects how "smooth" the shift is, the smoother the tranny shift, the more power it loses between shifts.
Old 01-26-05, 02:47 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chigga
no, higher stall torque converter generally makes you go faster from all point. It also depends on the fluid you choose to be put in there.
If the engine is running above the stall speed the TC acts as nothing more than a fluid coupler between the engine and transmission. So it does nothing to make you faster at that point.
Did I mention that I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express?

Quick Reply: faster 60-100 w/tc or without?