Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS430 + 3.76 lsd + Snow & Sleet

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 08:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks, Chuck. Now it makes sense to me. So I'm not sure what the 3.76 number means, but it's larger than the stock diff., which is like 3.2 something. So, in effect, the gears are taller/larger, which means they can spin easier. What does the 3.76 refer to? Is that the tallest gear (i.e., 1st gear) or the smallest (overdrive)? And, if that number does refer to one particular gear, how can you tell the size of the other gears from that number?
if i am correct, that's the ratio of gears. so meaning that the axle will hve to turn 3.76 turns before the wheel makes one turn. so you can see how the rpm will raise higher for the same speed.
Old 02-03-05, 08:46 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if i am correct, that's the ratio of gears. so meaning that the axle will hve to turn 3.76 turns before the wheel makes one turn. so you can see how the rpm will raise higher for the same speed.
That makes sense, but only for one of the gears. The axle couldn't turn 3.76 times for one turn of the wheel in all gears, right?

Are all gears spaced equally? I don't think so. In other words, if you put a 3.76 diff next to a 3.92, how would the gears be spaced relative to each other?
Old 02-03-05, 08:54 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That makes sense, but only for one of the gears. The axle couldn't turn 3.76 times for one turn of the wheel in all gears, right?

Are all gears spaced equally? I don't think so. In other words, if you put a 3.76 diff next to a 3.92, how would the gears be spaced relative to each other?
e-are you trying to confuse me or yourself? j/k

the ratio on the rear end , I think, refers to how many rotations the drive shaft makes in comparison to the axle. the trans ratios are not affected.
Old 02-03-05, 09:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah it was a bad example, i was just trying to demonstrate the ratio
Old 02-03-05, 09:26 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
e-are you trying to confuse me or yourself? j/k

the ratio on the rear end , I think, refers to how many rotations the drive shaft makes in comparison to the axle. the trans ratios are not affected.
Now that makes sense -- the ratio of the drive shaft to the axle.

By the way, Chuck, I just realized that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I was confusing the gearing in the transmission with the ratio of the differential. Two completely different concepts. Now I understand exactly what a high ratio LSD will do for the performance. I assume at some point, the ratio can become too high. Do you think you might drop in the 3.76 once your warranty expires? It would be interesting to see the before and after numbers if you take your car to the track.

Last edited by e-man; 02-03-05 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 10:53 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up 3.76 Lsd.

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
I just shot Steve a message I'll keep you posted. I'm on the fence to about the Supra LSD or to install the TRD LSD I have.
O.K., Thanks Gill.
I'm sure alot of us would appreciate it.
One thing about the TRD LSD is that, unless you buy the ring and pinion with the 3.76 gears, you will only get the limited slip. The nice thing about the Supra TT Torsen LSD is it comes with everything. The whole "pumkin" is already assembled and ready to install. I think you end up spending the same amount of money either way so why not get the whole package. Just food for thought.
Will
Old 02-04-05, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Now that makes sense -- the ratio of the drive shaft to the axle.

By the way, Chuck, I just realized that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I was confusing the gearing in the transmission with the ratio of the differential. Two completely different concepts. Now I understand exactly what a high ratio LSD will do for the performance. I assume at some point, the ratio can become too high. Do you think you might drop in the 3.76 once your warranty expires? It would be interesting to see the before and after numbers if you take your car to the track.
well, put it this way man. i just bought a brand new sc430 2 months ago. and i am thinking about dropping in a new rear end and also tc in the car already. i don't really care about the warranty, if done right it's not going to affect anything.
Old 02-04-05, 12:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
O.K., Thanks Gill.
I'm sure alot of us would appreciate it.
One thing about the TRD LSD is that, unless you buy the ring and pinion with the 3.76 gears, you will only get the limited slip. The nice thing about the Supra TT Torsen LSD is it comes with everything. The whole "pumkin" is already assembled and ready to install. I think you end up spending the same amount of money either way so why not get the whole package. Just food for thought.
Will
yup, exactly. in fact, the MAIN reason for me to get the supra rear end was for the gear. lsd was a plus, but i could care less. in most driving conditions (read: drive hard), you can't really get the lsd into full use. but i take advantage of the 3.76 gear all day long
Old 02-04-05, 03:54 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
3.76 LSD goes 0-60 faster than stock by about a half a second, plus better traction as both rear wheels get power

TC goes 0-60 faster than stock by about a half a second

Together you don't get a full second faster 0-60.
It comes out to about .08 second faster than stock, which will put you in the low 5 second range.
In order to go faster than that you need a Turbo or Supercharger.

You can do either or both.

Ivan
3dog
Is it OK to get the TC and 3.76 lsd if you're planning on going FI on a gs430? I read someone on this board state that you shouldn't go 3.76 lsd if you're FI for some reason. I'd think that the combo of FI, TC, and 3.76 lsd would be the fast as hell - anyone know why you wouldn't want to do all three??

Second question - does the dragon TC make your car idle at a higher rpm??
Old 02-04-05, 08:56 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I contacted Steve G., He said the last time he tried to order the Supra LSD he was told they were discontinued That latest P/N does go to the Supra LSD.
. Steve says it list for $2400.00, But he can sell it for $1779.00 if it is available.

The reason I considered the TRD LSD ,I wanted it for the regular benefits of a LSD- wet & dirt roads, cornering and slick roads if I'm caught in .the snow. And most of all, if i get a chance to add FI to to the motor. I figured the 3.27 gearing would be a little better than the 3.76 w/ Fi.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 02-04-05 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-04-05, 09:32 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contacted Steve G., He said the last time he tried to order the Supra LSD he was told they were discontinued That latest P/N does go to the Supra LSD.
. Steve says it list for $2400.00, But he can sell it for $1779.00 if it is available.

The reason I considered the TRD LSD ,I wanted it for the regular benefits of a LSD- wet & dirt roads, cornering and slick roads if I'm caught in .the snow. And most of all, if i get a chance to add FI to to the motor. I figured the 3.27 gearing would be a little better than the 3.76 w/ Fi.
That's even more than RMM wants and there are other sellers like TM that are less than RMM. It pays to shop around
Old 02-04-05, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by daleer
Is it OK to get the TC and 3.76 lsd if you're planning on going FI on a gs430? I read someone on this board state that you shouldn't go 3.76 lsd if you're FI for some reason. I'd think that the combo of FI, TC, and 3.76 lsd would be the fast as hell - anyone know why you wouldn't want to do all three??

Second question - does the dragon TC make your car idle at a higher rpm??
yes theoretically it's faster, but the problem is the gear ratio is so high, that the engine revs so fast and it hits the rev limiter when they shift. couple of peple here had that problem before.

and nop, the tc will not change the idle rpm
Old 02-04-05, 10:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

email todd at todd@tmengineering.net

he's a vendor here and he can get the supra tt lsd, i know someone who got it new from him
Old 02-04-05, 11:31 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

yes theoretically it's faster, but the problem is the gear ratio is so high, that the engine revs so fast and it hits the rev limiter when they shift. couple of peple here had that problem before.

and nop, the tc will not change the idle rpm
with higher gear ratios you also loose some top end pull. that's why some of the blower guys like the taller gears to pull longer and gain boost longer.
Old 02-04-05, 12:27 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

email todd at todd@tmengineering.net

he's a vendor here and he can get the supra tt lsd, i know someone who got it new from him
If I remember right, I think a member said thay got one (Supra LSD ) from TM engineering for $1500-1600 a few months ago. I don't remember who it was

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 02-05-05 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: GS430 + 3.76 lsd + Snow & Sleet