Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS430 + 3.76 lsd + Snow & Sleet

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 05:35 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post GS430 + 3.76 lsd + Snow & Sleet

We got snow and sleet today. I decided to take my GS out to see if my newly installed 3.76 lsd made any difference from the last time I had the car in snow with out it. Using snow mode, I did notice better traction especially going up grade. There were fewer tendencies for the rear tires to start spinning. My current winter setup is pilot sport all season and we all know the tires are not too swift in snow. I think that with a good set of set of snow & ice tires, handling would be even better. However here’s a word of caution:
I found an empty parking lot and decided to see what happens with power mode on and vsc off. From a standstill, I gave it about 2/3rd’s throttle and a slight turn of the wheel: the rear end “kicked” out 90 degrees instantly!. I tried it again keeping the wheel straight and the rear kicked out about 30 degrees instantly. Conclusion: The lsd definitely helps to provide better traction when used with snow mode and vsc but it will also get you in trouble a whole lot faster when power mode is on and vsc is off.
Old 01-31-05, 01:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the lsd there man. glad to hear that the lsd helps so much in the snow, though i guess i will just say that driving in the snow, be careful

congrats on the mod again
Old 01-31-05, 08:54 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if the Snow Mode still functioned when you changed the LSD and the TC. These mods always sounded great, but here in Colorado I need to have the Snow Mode for everyday winter driving.

Does anyone know if the Snow Mode still works with these mods...?? I remember reading about the check engine light poping up when you replace the TC, but no news on the functionality of the Snow Mode.
Old 01-31-05, 04:34 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
I was wondering if the Snow Mode still functioned when you changed the LSD and the TC. These mods always sounded great, but here in Colorado I need to have the Snow Mode for everyday winter driving.

Does anyone know if the Snow Mode still works with these mods...?? I remember reading about the check engine light poping up when you replace the TC, but no news on the functionality of the Snow Mode.
I don't have the TC but I can say Snow mode works with lsd. As for cel, I understand that 430's will most likely will have that problem. I do remember one cl member saying he did not have the cel go on after install of TC.
Old 01-31-05, 04:38 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
hey sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the lsd there man. glad to hear that the lsd helps so much in the snow, though i guess i will just say that driving in the snow, be careful

congrats on the mod again
Thanks
Now that I know what the car is capable of doing, I would never even consider turning off vsc on snow while driving in traffic. But...empty parking lots, well that's jut pure fun.
Old 01-31-05, 05:07 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rheiy- you don't get any cel with the 3.76 lsd on your 430? I thought even just the 3.76 diff causes cel on 430?
Old 01-31-05, 06:13 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
rheiy- you don't get any cel with the 3.76 lsd on your 430? I thought even just the 3.76 diff causes cel on 430?
chuckb - I do not have cel light with lsd. From what I heard it's just the TC that can cause it..
Old 01-31-05, 06:22 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile 3.76 Lsd

Chuck you need to get this. You'll love it. I think it is a must have.

The 3.76 just smokes the stock diff. And it definitely helps in snow.

You won't have any problem with the engine light.

3dog

ps if you get one and don't like it sell it to me and I'll put it on wifes car
Old 01-31-05, 06:28 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3dog
Chuck you need to get this. You'll love it. I think it is a must have.

The 3.76 just smokes the stock diff. And it definitely helps in snow.

You won't have any problem with the engine light.

3dog

ps if you get one and don't like it sell it to me and I'll put it on wifes car
chuck: Best money I ever spent. Only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
Old 01-31-05, 06:42 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Ivan and Rheiy- My warranty runs out in a few months so we'll see what happens.I plan to start mods after that. At least some bilsteins/eibach to start.
You know what stinks, I just had my entire stock diff replaced by dealer under warranty about 2000 miles ago. That thing is barely broke in. Too bad they couldn't have given me a 3.76 LSD then.

Where are your RPMs at 80mph with 3.76 diff?

oh yah Ivan-I think I'm good on the snow. We rarely even see 30s here I've never even used my heater or heated seats!
Old 01-31-05, 06:57 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Ivan and Rheiy- My warranty runs out in a few months so we'll see what happens.I plan to start mods after that. At least some bilsteins/eibach to start.
You know what stinks, I just had my entire stock diff replaced by dealer under warranty about 2000 miles ago. That thing is barely broke in. Too bad they couldn't have given me a 3.76 LSD then.

oh yah Ivan-I think I'm good on the snow. We rarely even see 30s here I've never even used my heater or heated seats!
3000 @ 80mph
btw, what happen to the stock unit. According to my lexus tech, those things usually last the life of the car
Old 01-31-05, 09:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup like rheiy said, the cel is only coz' of the tc. the lsd won't cause any problem on the cel
Old 01-31-05, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it's about 3000 when it's going at 80. the rpm is pretty much about 300rpm higher than the stock one across the speed
Old 02-01-05, 05:10 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
3000 @ 80mph
btw, what happen to the stock unit. According to my lexus tech, those things usually last the life of the car
my rear end was making a humming sound at about 60mph when I let off the gas. Car only had 23k miles! they replaced rear diff and driver's side halfshaft
Old 02-02-05, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

my rear end was making a humming sound at about 60mph when I let off the gas. Car only had 23k miles! they replaced rear diff and driver's side halfshaft
at least the problem is solved

Quick Reply: GS430 + 3.76 lsd + Snow & Sleet