Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My learning curve with new torqueconverter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 06:56 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
For a straight line launch I would leave the VSC off, theh problem is when you launchy you will get a little bit of wheel spin but the VSC cuts power for way to long resulting in a slower overall launch.
When my VSC kicks in it feels like I was attached to a giant chain and I just got to the end of it It's very obtrusive, almost to the point where it's dangerous pulling out in traffic when it kicks in. And I'm stock.
Old 01-30-05, 07:10 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Vsc

Originally Posted by chuckb
When my VSC kicks in it feels like I was attached to a giant chain and I just got to the end of it It's very obtrusive, almost to the point where it's dangerous pulling out in traffic when it kicks in. And I'm stock.
I've had that happen a few times and it was almost like the car just died and then finally gets going again. I agree, I think it overdoes it sometimes.

Oh I just made the wife go out and drive the car. She was surprised at how easy the rear breaks loose. She says oh I won't be doing that on Wed. She was also shocked at how fast the RPM's go up, it is a whole different car now.

3dog
Old 01-30-05, 07:19 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=3dog]Daizen Sways, JIC MAGIC FLT2A coilovers (set really stiff), TRD Front Strutt Tower Bar, Toms Front and Rear Lower Braces, Toms Upper Rear Brace and Toms 6 Link kit. 17 inch wheels are holding me back but I can't do anything about that for the time being.

Thanks it took a couple of weeks before I felt like I understood what was going on. Obviously I still have a lot to learn.

I've got a spot underneath the I-5 freeway where it stays dry and I can stop and then just hammer it. Gives me enough dry road to get up to about 50 mph before I come out from under the bridge. Not much traffic at 0530 in the morning. I figured out that I could get some good launch practice there, just a couple of days ago.. It has the added bonus of sounding really *****en loud as it echos my Greddy Evo Exhaust! So I stop and roll down the two front windows and let her rip. Oh my god, that roar and hanging onto the steering wheel while being jammed back into the seat I almost need to clean myself up after that.

I might just do that this summer. I've got a boss who takes his BMW M3 out there. I don't know about launch with no spin with these 17 inch wheels. So far I sort of hold back a little until its just rolling then jamm that throttle down. Seems to work okay.

When you make it to the dragstrip lower your tire pressure about 5 psi in the rear, use the waterbox and do a burnout to heat the rear tires, this helps them stick to the tarmac, until then practice your launches on the street by holding your left foot on the brake and incrementally bringing up your rpm's on each launch until you reach maxium rpm's without wheel spin, if you simply roll through the lights it will kill your et, most of all, have fun!

Last edited by Indio; 01-30-05 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-30-05, 10:05 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome to the TC/LSD club!
As you now are aware-DON'T mess around on slick surfaces-ESPECIALLY with the VSC turned off! Much better to have the VSC cut power than wrap your car around a pole or a tree. Even worse causing an accident in which an innocent person is injured.
Larger rear tires will really help of course, but I can break loose my new 285 Goodyears even without torque braking! Lots better than stock size though.
I will be making a trip to the dragstrip in the next week or so. Hope to break into the 13s...
Old 01-31-05, 02:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man, this is another classic example of being super ultra careful on the drivng when you are dealing with the tc and lsd.

after driving the gs4 for quite a while now already with the tc and the lsd, while being really powerful, i actually understand why lexus didn't put them in the car -- coz' it's really powerful, and the rest of the car isn't really entirely ready for the that yet, especially for normal driving people.

so with these mods, it's very powerful, you can really do some very nice driving, but you really need to know what you are doing

luckily no harm was done man
Old 01-31-05, 04:13 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which Torque Converter

Originally Posted by SCV8
Sounds like a fun setup; I'm sure you'll get used to it.

I used to be able and just set my tranny switch in "economy" mode on my older SC4 to keep the tires from rotating in the wet here in Seattle, but after some mods I now have to be a little more aware.
Just curious, but I wonder if/how the transmission gearing is different between the SC/GS?
The SC4 came with a 3.92 rear gearset, some change to 4.27 Supra lsd, where the GS cars are just as fast, if not faster using much taller rear gears(?).

What torque convertor did you use in your GS?
Precision Industries Dragon 2800 stall
Old 02-02-05, 07:32 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

why would the check engine light come on for the gs430? and how much would be a fair price on a used supra LSD? which year and model supra would have 376 and LSD? and how can you tell from the numbers on the pumpkin that it does have LSD?
Old 02-02-05, 09:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
why would the check engine light come on for the gs430? and how much would be a fair price on a used supra LSD? which year and model supra would have 376 and LSD? and how can you tell from the numbers on the pumpkin that it does have LSD?
the 430 has a different ecu and apparently more sensors. the tc causes a change in the stall speed and trigger the code

used supra lsd? dunno, about 500 to 700 depending on conditions?
Old 02-03-05, 12:53 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

thanx for quik reply. if it wasnt for the CIL i would do it,but i guess i will be happy with just the rear end,, i had tc&rear end on my SC400, boy did that wake up the car, especially off the line..i wish i had access to a salvage yard like before.

Last edited by HKS_GS430; 02-03-05 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 08:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
thanx for quik reply. if it wasnt for the CIL i would do it,but i guess i will be happy with just the rear end,, i had tc&rear end on my SC400, boy did that wake up the car, especially off the line..i wish i had access to a salvage yard like before.
very true, you put it so well. the tc and the rear end completely wakes up teh car in every aspect, any time, just instant. now when i drive my sc430 i can finally feel what my gs4 was like before @_@
Old 02-03-05, 08:56 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
very true, you put it so well. the tc and the rear end completely wakes up teh car in every aspect, any time, just instant. now when i drive my sc430 i can finally feel what my gs4 was like before @_@
how bout a pic of that SC Henry
Old 02-03-05, 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by chuckb
how bout a pic of that SC Henry
dont' wanna get it OT, but here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...12/ppuser/7957

and more to come later too, very soon
Old 02-05-05, 01:58 PM
daleer
Pole Position

I've got a PI tc waiting in the garage to be installed on my gs430 Those of you with the dragon 2800 tc, do you mind telling me how much ATF fluid I'll need to take with me to the shop when I get it installed...also what type should I get?? Can't wait to get it installed.
Old 02-05-05, 05:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by daleer
I've got a PI tc waiting in the garage to be installed on my gs430 Those of you with the dragon 2800 tc, do you mind telling me how much ATF fluid I'll need to take with me to the shop when I get it installed...also what type should I get?? Can't wait to get it installed.
use only the toyota type IV tranny fluid, nothing else

i could be wrong (forgot), but i think it's 6 quart to fill it back up. i think my mechanic used less than one box of fluids
Old 02-05-05, 11:02 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Thanks romini, I was going to get a synthetic atf from an autoparts store, so it's good to know that only the toyota stuff can be used! Do you know of an online place I can order it from inexpensively so I don't have to worry about being raped by the crooks at my local stealership?

Originally Posted by rominl
use only the toyota type IV tranny fluid, nothing else

i could be wrong (forgot), but i think it's 6 quart to fill it back up. i think my mechanic used less than one box of fluids

Quick Reply: My learning curve with new torqueconverter