Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does anyone have, Inkate, TQC, and 3:73?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 01:01 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Venom/LSD

Bob - Well, the latest on Venom ( as of 3 days ago from Greg, one of their techs ) is that the R&D is pretty much done but they want to do some more testing before releasing the kit. Remember that they don't sell directly to the public but gave me the name/number of a speed shop in North Carolina. I called them & they said they'd be willing to do some form of a group buy ( with price break ) if we got at least 4 members to spring for a kit. His best guess at pricing will be near $800-$1k - this will be finalized by Venom, of course. That may seem high, especially since the NX kit goes for almost $500 but, IMO, it's a much more sophisticated kit ( & safer for the engine as well; again, IMO ). As far as the LSD - it's alot more difficult to break the tires loose since it's installation but that just tells me that I'm getting the power to the ground. Also remember that I have the RMM LSD with the 3.76 gears so the steeper ratio aids my performance. If U want just better cornering, then the TRD LSD with the factory 3.23 gears probably would be better for ya as there's about a 1 mpg mileage penalty to pay due to the higher cruising rpms. Hope to improve on the track times when/if Mo ever finishes the tranny ECU - I expect quicker shifts which may drop the times by another .1 or so.
Old 07-19-01, 06:21 AM
Kerr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOS? Are you all going to run a "WET" (fuel & nos) or a dry kit? (just nos). also how are you going to feed it into the motor. Driect port? fogger? or just spray into the intake.
Old 07-19-01, 07:36 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Depends on Venom's Kit

Kerr - It all depends on the design of Venom's kit. I understand that it's a dry design like the NX kit. Personally, I'd feel safer with a wet kit because then I won't need to worry about an injector stopping up. But that's the beauty of the Venom software which is designed to prevent the nitrous injection should it's sensors detect ANYTHING out of safe operating parameters. Greg told me that it's going to be a single nozzle design that will be installed into the intake piping downstream of the filter - remember that it's designed for the stock plastic intake so those of us with the SRT intake will need to drill a hole for this nozzle. I'd rather a direct port setup - wouldn't that be an awesome sight to see stainless nitrous lines running to each intake runner!! I'd even remove the CF engine cover to display those!:eek: Just need to be patient & wait for them to finish things or go ahead & get the Nitrous Express kit - someone else was talking about that recently.
Old 07-20-01, 05:51 AM
MISURA

I noticed the same problem (good one mind you) when I got my TC - not enough traction to make full use of the higher torque being transmitted. I'm upgrading my rim/tire size.

The LSD, off a '98 SupraTT 6sp (a Torsen type), has cut back a lot of the annoying inner rear tire spinning I was always getting in tight corners. I believe the LSD is only 40% locking but I can still feel a pretty good difference in the corners. No track results for pre and post LSD. I'm going tonight to get some time slips.
Old 07-23-01, 12:51 PM
Kerr
Driver

Mean, Man i don't know, I personally don't know anyone running a nos set up on any Lexus. Im just concerned that with spraying directly into the front, like you said that the motor my be starving the back cylinders when the bottle is on. I know that a few people here in town have sprayed BMW about 3 time and they popped because there was not a even amount of nos per bank of cylinders. In normal terms. Im worried that you might get lots of nos in #1, 3, 5,7 and the others go hungry........ I dont know what the firing code is im just saying the first 4 cylinders might get it all...............

However I have also know people that have done nos the way you are talking for 100K miles with no problems on Gm cars...... Just change the plugs a lot.

Old 07-24-01, 05:08 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool That's My Experience, Too!!

Kerr - The bulk of my experience with NOS is also on GM cars ( specifically the 'Vette w/ tuned port induction ). The NOS Fogger kit seemed to do a good job of atomizing the nitrous/fuel mixture as I read my plugs once a month ( as U suggested ) & noticed even wear on all of them. That's why I'd LOVE to do a direct port setup but don't know that it would be worth the small hp increase that nitrous will yield as things stand now for the factory fuel system. Maybe once someone develops an injector/ECU package where we can make some serious HP gains that'll be the ticket!! Until then, I'll keep hounding Venom!!
Old 07-24-01, 06:43 AM
Kerr
Driver

lol, i know what you mean...... we are still looking for a gs400. I tell people that and they are like WHAT! those car are all over the place.... I was at the lexus dealer again saturday and he said "oh we have only had 3 gs430's this year.... and will not be getting any more.

Hey, on that fuel sustem......... I wonder if the 550 cc injectiors out of a turbo supra would work? also you could run one or two of those pumps. I know that when i go WOT. that the fuel pump switched for 6 to 12 volt. Right now im running 1.8 bar on cold nights. The car dynoed 400 and 410 at the wheels and is still way way way two rich. They tell me that the factory system is good 500-550 wheel hp!!

I have a firend that just ....as of yesterday took the supra pump and 6 550 injectors out of his car. Im sure he would hook you up cheap. all you would have to do is get two more.

On the nos again...... About 3 years ago we put one on a 93 cobra..... it was a fogger kit, spraying fuel and nos into the intake. there is a bar that looks like this + that slides into the throttle body. out of that + it sprayed both. I wonder if that system would work on you car. Bran ran a 150 shot most of the time...... never had any problems....
Old 07-24-01, 07:26 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Probably Not

Kerr - I'm sure the injectors would provide enough fuel but I'm afraid we'd need some software or another custom ECU to make things interface with the factory engine electronics. Gonna watch Y2K & his friends with that APEXi unit to see how well that project works out. I even borrowed a friend's Kenne Bell fuel enrichment device - forgot the product name but it works on the idea that the voltage controlling the injectors can drop off at either high rpms or in a car with alot of voltage demand ( like my stereo system ). This control voltage regulates the injector duty cycle ( or pulse rate ) so, in theory, when voltage to the injectors drops, so does their ability to fully open & fuel delivery suffers. It's supposedly a common occurance in all the newer cars with the vast array of electronics. It worked on his Mustang LX ( he has a KB supercharger & nitrous ) as he picked up about 10 rwhp on the dyno, mostly at the upper rpm range ( 3500 & up ). Figured since this was where the GS powerband really starts, what could it hurt? Didn't feel anything via seat-of-the-pants nor even on the dyno & the car idled somewhat erratically so I gave up on using it. Besides, I understand from Mo that the factory injectors are the limiting factors here - maybe 30#/hr so we'd need the larger orfice in those Supra injectors. I had the same X-shaped fogger plate on my 'Vette - installed it between the throttle body & the plenum. Seemed to work fine for the 3+ years I had the car. I guess patience is the key word here; still, I know NX has a kit so I might try it pretty soon IF Venom doesn't get on the ball!!
Old 07-25-01, 01:14 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

If you can I would go with a wet direct port system. I am running a wet 150 shot direct port on my SC300, and have not had any problems. The car made repeated 650+ RWHP passes on the dyno without any problems at all.

However, the smallest direct port you can do is 20hp per cylinder, so you would have a minimum of a 160 shot on a V8. What is the stock compression on the 8 cyl motor? Also, what is the stock fuel system like?

-Ethan
Old 07-25-01, 06:06 AM
Kerr
Driver

that is what we are talking about, I think that the gs400 computers are a pain in the a$$ when it come to changing anyhting on them.

Where did you get that direct port system. I would like to spay my supra in the upper gears.
Old 07-25-01, 02:04 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Sound Performance can get you a direct port for your Supra. As far as the computer for the GS, why not just go stand alone? Here pretty soon there will be a Speed Pro out that works with direct fire ignition, and Speed Pro is INCREDIBLE! It is self correcting, so even if something goes wrong it will correct enough to save your motor (within reason).

I am actually wanting to get rid of my SC300 and start playing with a GS... Anyone interested?

-Ethan
Old 08-03-01, 07:51 AM
Kerr
Driver

Ethan, your crazy,

Yea i would like to spay my supra in the upper gears but you know the warranty is NICE,

Speaking of GS400 you have any pictures of garys GS400 for SP? Also does it have anyhting done to it? We are playing phone tag and havent been able to talk.
Old 08-05-01, 03:14 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I don't have an pics of the SP GS... It is bone stock though. It is silver/black and I just saw it for the first time this weekend when I was up there.

I didn't really look into it all the hard, I just walked by it.. It looked pretty sharp. I should be back up there next weekend (hopefully, if my car is ready to come home), but if not the following weekend for sure. You want me to look at anything in specific on it for you?

-Ethan