Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why would srt intake reduce low rpm torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 01:24 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would srt intake reduce low rpm torque?

Someone with a srt intake/ecu on his gs430 told me that it reduced his low rpm torque, but makes the car feel more powerful between 3500 and 4000rpm. Anyone else notice this and I'm wondering why the intake would reduce the torque at low rpms... I'm considering buying one but was hoping for performance gains - not reductions!
Old 01-31-05, 01:31 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by daleer
Someone with a srt intake/ecu on his gs430 told me that it reduced his low rpm torque, but makes the car feel more powerful between 3500 and 4000rpm. Anyone else notice this and I'm wondering why the intake would reduce the torque at low rpms... I'm considering buying one but was hoping for performance gains - not reductions!
simply put , ingestion of hot air.. hot engine air does not bode well for making horsepower or trq ..

i tried this for over a week once , although some might disagree but did nothing for me but make noise but to each is own
Old 01-31-05, 01:53 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

There are a few possible reasons and or combination of reasons that would cause this.

Hot air should definitely be minimized/eliminated but I am not at all certian this is causing the low RPM torque reports. The SRT does have a heat shield and if you make sure to get cold air to the filter area the shield should limit underhood heat and therefore be at least as good as stock.

Another consideration is the tuning. The MAF (mass air flow) meter is designed for the smaller stock tube of about 3 inches whereas the SRT gets better peak airflow using a 3.5" pipe. If the calibration is not as good at low air flow that could be the reason or contribution.

Resonant tuning is another. The large black box attached to the stock tube (mounted on the passenger side valve cover of the engine) creates a volume that harmonically and with the pulses from the engine contribute to the effectiveness of the feed. If the harmonics are working against you this could reduce flow at low RPM.

Another possibility would be that the seat-of-the-pants feels proportionately slower when compared to the higher power... psycological component.

All of these things may be causing this "effect".

That said any loss should be minimal and a gain of over 10hp is not bad... some say much more.