Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TC in GS430, will it set a check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 03:34 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC in GS430, will it set a check engine light?

I'm thinking about installing a Vigilante TC, I've heard it's set the check engine light in a 2002 GS430. Is this true?
Old 01-31-05, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

from what i read, the cel on the gs430 with the pi tc is due to the higher than "normal" stall speed. if that's the case then i think another high stall speed tc will have the same effect
Old 02-01-05, 06:01 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Do you know which code is set? I've got the service manuals on order....maybe I can choose a little lower stall speed (Vigilante will make whatever stall speed you want).
Old 02-02-05, 01:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
Do you know which code is set? I've got the service manuals on order....maybe I can choose a little lower stall speed (Vigilante will make whatever stall speed you want).
well PI can make any stall speed too, but they say 2800 is the optimal, and why settle for less when 2800 works fine?

i don't know what code, but i talked to my mechanic and he said the code is related to tranny failure?
Old 02-02-05, 07:27 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
well PI can make any stall speed too, but they say 2800 is the optimal, and why settle for less when 2800 works fine?
I don't want to drive around with a check engine light on, can't pass emissions here in Cook County with it on. Also, it will mask any real problems, if it's always on, how can I know a different code has been set?

i don't know what code, but i talked to my mechanic and he said the code is related to tranny failure?
I picked up my chassis/engine Lexus Factory Service manual at the dealer today, I also ordered the Electrical Manual, it has all the check engine codes. I looked at the trans section, looks like Lexus compares the input/output of the trans and calulates the slip. Also looks like there's a special sensor, they don't just compare the engine RPM to the VSS sensor and caclulate it (like GM does). If it is this way, it's easy to make a little 8-bit micro board to spoof the PCM and keep the check engine light off. That way I could run a 2,800 RPM TC.

Final point, I don't think I want a 2800 stall speed converter. What is the stock converter's stall speed? I'd like a extra 500-600 RPM over stock.
Old 02-02-05, 08:53 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Heard it is 2100 If you get this to work let me know I really want the TC but will not do it if I am gonna have a CEL
Old 02-02-05, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I don't want to drive around with a check engine light on, can't pass emissions here in Cook County with it on. Also, it will mask any real problems, if it's always on, how can I know a different code has been set?

I picked up my chassis/engine Lexus Factory Service manual at the dealer today, I also ordered the Electrical Manual, it has all the check engine codes. I looked at the trans section, looks like Lexus compares the input/output of the trans and calulates the slip. Also looks like there's a special sensor, they don't just compare the engine RPM to the VSS sensor and caclulate it (like GM does). If it is this way, it's easy to make a little 8-bit micro board to spoof the PCM and keep the check engine light off. That way I could run a 2,800 RPM TC.

Final point, I don't think I want a 2800 stall speed converter. What is the stock converter's stall speed? I'd like a extra 500-600 RPM over stock.
somehow i remember people saying the stock one is 1800rpm or so

if you just want an extra 500rpm, personally i think you might just want to stick with the stock one?
Old 02-02-05, 05:28 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
...if you just want an extra 500rpm, personally i think you might just want to stick with the stock one?
thanks for your input, I understand what you are saying. i'm just making the car the way i like it. 2800 rpm may be good for you, in my experience it's too high for what I want.

I've swapped a TC out twice, first one was 2800 stall speed, second one was 2400. I really liked the 2400 TC.
Old 02-02-05, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks for your input, I understand what you are saying. i'm just making the car the way i like it. 2800 rpm may be good for you, in my experience it's too high for what I want.

I've swapped a TC out twice, first one was 2800 stall speed, second one was 2400. I really liked the 2400 TC.
oh don't get me wrong, i was just suggesting, not telling you what to do as usual, anything that fits your taste what's what you should get
Old 02-03-05, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

On what car?
Old 02-04-05, 06:01 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
On what car?
My 96 Impala SS. Before you start talking about the difference in moters, My Impala makes 300HP/380ft*lbs and redlines at 6100 rpm (not exactly stock). I've run a 14.18 @ 96mph and cut a 5.68 sec 0-60 (car weighs 4400lbs). I was surprised to find the 4.30l Lexus V-8 has such a low redline.
Old 02-04-05, 11:35 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I am not sure about "Check Engine" light, but i have a customer with my TC and LSD at the same time. He stated the steering feels "Loose" Due to different LSD gear ratio. The engine will pick up higher than normal rpm signal and letting the car think its going faster than it actually is.
Old 02-04-05, 12:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

I'll chip in on the stall speed... if its at all possible to go with the 2800 stall and avoid the CEL by all means do it .

I had the 2800 stall Precision Industries TC and because of issues with my supercharger causing me to bounce off the rev limiter (more info here) I switched to a 2600 stall PI TC. Even the drop down 200 makes a big difference in driveabilty and performance.

Now my car shifts much better, but I really miss the every driving accelleration that the 2800 stall gave me. The GS just feels 'right' at the 2800 stall speed... with the 2600 it feels a lot more like stock. I wish I could have both the 2800 stall and not ping my rev limiter, but it's not to be.
Old 02-04-05, 01:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Lextreme
I am not sure about "Check Engine" light, but i have a customer with my TC and LSD at the same time. He stated the steering feels "Loose" Due to different LSD gear ratio. The engine will pick up higher than normal rpm signal and letting the car think its going faster than it actually is.
that's interesting. the little difference in speed for the same rpm level makes that much difference in the steering ecu?
Old 02-04-05, 07:17 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
that's a new one

Quick Reply: TC in GS430, will it set a check engine light?