Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

general exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 02:06 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general exhaust question

I've read that when adding an intake, you need to also need to add an exhaust to reap the full benefits - more air in and more out. Since the borla is not catback - does this mean that you won't get the better breathing/performance enhancement that you might get with a full catback system? I like everything I've read about the borla in terms of sound and the look (I don't want something real loud) so I'd like to get a borla exhaust. But I also want better breathing for performance in case I get an intake - so do I need to get a real catback exhaust instead. I hope I can go with the borla for the looks and sound, but if I need to go with a catback for performance - what full catback systems would be similar in sound to the borla (subtle unobtrusive cruising, but angry when at wot)???

Thanks for any info and clarification.
Old 02-03-05, 02:57 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well I have the carson tuned exhaust (quiet exhaust) and I am not planning on a intake...the reason why is because you really cant feel a SIGNIFICANT gain in performance and it only makes the car noisier imo....the reason why I have exhaust is basically for the looks and for the sound...I hope that helps....

cody
Old 02-03-05, 03:43 PM
trimless
Rookie

Default Performance

From what I've read these cars don't really respond well to intake / exhaust upgrades compared to say Mustang or Impala SS. I had the SRT intake and Borla exhaust. No real performance gain, but it sounds nice. I sold the intake because it wore me down with the sound The claims of 30 HP gains with some of these intakes are inflated in my opinion. The Borla is an excellent exhaust, but don't expect anything other than a nice sound. Add a super chager or turbo if you want to increase the straight line g-force!
Old 02-03-05, 04:47 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daleer
I've read that when adding an intake, you need to also need to add an exhaust to reap the full benefits - more air in and more out. Since the borla is not catback - does this mean that you won't get the better breathing/performance enhancement that you might get with a full catback system? I like everything I've read about the borla in terms of sound and the look (I don't want something real loud) so I'd like to get a borla exhaust. But I also want better breathing for performance in case I get an intake - so do I need to get a real catback exhaust instead. I hope I can go with the borla for the looks and sound, but if I need to go with a catback for performance - what full catback systems would be similar in sound to the borla (subtle unobtrusive cruising, but angry when at wot)???

Thanks for any info and clarification.
Before you get an intake, you should search the forum. There are lots of discussions on that topic. There's the noise factor and of course the questionable gains in hp. Not all intakes deliver what they promise in terms of hp. In addition, some intakes will provide more power in the mid and upper range but actually reduce your low end power. Example: RMM Intake. Had it on my GS300 and boy did low end suffer at the expense of providing improved power in the upper end rpm's. Overall I did not feel the cost of that intake was worth the dollars spent. Passed on that mod when I got my 430 but I did get the rmm exhaust. I love the sound. Not too loud when crusing and sounds nice under wot.
Old 02-04-05, 03:35 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Thanks guys - OK - so maybe I'll forget an intake - but if I decide to go with a turbo or supercharger...same question. Will having an aftermarket exhaust help get more of the full potential out of the FI?? I guess I'll probably go with an exhaust for the sound anyway, but my main question is still about the difference between a catback and non-catback (like borla) . Is a catback going to give my engine better breathing over a borla if I decide to go with and intake, or FI or whatever...?
Old 02-05-05, 02:01 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Anyone...??
Old 03-02-05, 11:43 AM
Mrbig
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust

Anyone have a sound clip of the Rmm or the L-sportsline exhausts ???