Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RMM Supercharger Guys - need info please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 01:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Exclamation RMM Supercharger Guys - need info please!

Guys with the RMM SC, need your help!

I took my GS in to get new headlights and new hi amp alternator put on, and the techs found that my power steering was leaking and didn't want to put the new alternator in until we replace it so it doesn't drip down onto the new one. Sucks, but that's how it happens sometimes.

So.... They've basically got to take out the intercooler plumbing and remove the SC belt (since it's piggybacked on that same pulley to get to the power steering pump. When I bought my RMM SC from TTurbopimp he didn't have any install instructions for it and I just had SRT do the install for me. This is the first work I'll have where somebody else needs to poke around with the supercharger.

I need two things.

1) does anybody have install instructions or details on the RMM SC kit I can borrow (or copy or fax them to me or scan them, etc) showing specs on belt tension, other install notes etc? I'll pay for fedex/fax fees.

2) do you know the specs on the supercharger belt and even better know where can I get a new one on short order? The one I have is a bit frayed on the inside from the leak and should be replaced.

THANKS
Old 02-04-05, 02:30 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have too much to offer but I know they adjust the belt tension to the standard "give" whatever that is. Really it is about a 1/2 inch of deflection when you push on the belt. The belts are not special order items, whenever we needed a new one they would just get one at their local supplier or match up the length with there current inventory. You should just be able to take the belt to an autoparts store or mechanic and have him give you one of equal length. I know this isnt much but hopefully it helps some.
Old 02-04-05, 04:43 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2) do you know the specs on the supercharger belt and even better know where can I get a new one on short order? The one I have is a bit frayed on the inside from the leak and should be replaced.

Dave, what is the pulley size? I can figure it out for you. The 1uzfe are the same. From my documented research (pulley size and belt size) I have the referrence only with pulley size. Gate V-Micro is what u want. I have a complete list of Gates V-Micro belts specs. Quest Auto sell them too under Quest brand, but made by Gates. Only if i know your pulley size, then i can help you with it.

Sorry, i dont own a GS.
http://lextreme.com/misc/Gates.xls

Last edited by Lextreme; 02-04-05 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-04-05, 05:26 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's not simply a loose clamp causing the leak? Reason I ask is because the pump/reservoir was relocated in the initial install. Hoses were simply used to extend the distance to the new location. The clamps RMM sent are cheapo radiator type clamps. It's a possibility it leaked from there.

The belt is standard 6 groove belt. As Morris said, you simply have to go to any parts store and ask for a 060425 belt of your favorite brand of belts. It's basically a standard 6 groove, 425mm belt.

I'm getting you the instructions too. Hopefully, I can have them tommorow for you. I'll fax them up when I have them.

I don't understand something though.......why does a mechanic need instructions for something he's taking off himself? Can he not put it back the same way he took it off? It's not that difficult to take the whole charger, tensioner, and piping off. I've seen Sam do it to Morris' like 2 bizillion times at the shop. I wouldn't even be scared to do it myself.

I'll still try and get you the instructions, but the mechanic taking it off should be able to put it back the way he found it. In theory at least.

If you were closer, I'd send you to Sam who could do it blind folded by now.
Old 02-04-05, 05:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

I'll have them double check on the clamp, but don't think they'd miss something as easy as that in the diagnosis. I've heard a little grinding sound from the front of the car over the last month or so, and I'm betting it was the PS pump

Yeah, this is a first time for them to disassemble and I'd rather have someone that's been there done that, but nobody local to me for that. Primarily want the instructions for the tension info, belt info etc. and general backup because they know how picky I am about my car. They're pretty competent mechanics - I've got little concern on that front.

David - my pulley is a custom 3" one that TTurbopimp had made (3.00 even) .

I'm actually going to go ahead and do the timing belt now while all that stuff is off even though I'm only at 78K.

Jaime - Very much appreciate the instructions! We've got a new combo color laser, copier, scanner, fax machine we haven't used for faxing, but we'll set it up and I'll PM you my cell. Actually, I think my work voicemail will receive a fax and email it to me digitally so maybe we'll try that first if sending is easy for you at home.
Old 02-05-05, 08:59 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dave, the belt that is on there now is not the same size as the one that came with the kit initially. We went with a shorter one when we went to the smaller pulley, we were maxing out the tensioner trying to get the belt tight enough with the original belt on the smaller pulley. We just bought that from a local auto parts store, nothing special. Just take the old one off and take it to a parts store to match it up....its a few bucks and your all set.

As Jaime said, double check the clamps. I had an issue with power steering fluid leaking from the reservoir due to a clamp. Its a two minute fix if thats what it is, you also might want to double check that when the clamps were tightened up during install, that they did not cut into the hose and cause a leak. You might get lucky, it could be something really easy to fix.

Good Luck with it.
Old 02-07-05, 05:37 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,
If you have the power steering pump replace, might as well change the 0-rings on your VSV. Is he a lexus tech?
JPI
Old 02-07-05, 05:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by JPI
Dave,
If you have the power steering pump replace, might as well change the 0-rings on your VSV. Is he a lexus tech?
JPI
Yes. And I've never heard of the VSV with O-rings, lol. What's that!

We're going ahead and doing the timing belt since all that stuff is coming off and I'm at 78K
Old 02-08-05, 08:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

RMM guys - do you know what the tension on the supercharger belt should be?

The Lexus tech who is working on this has built a bunch of hot rods including SC'd ones and doesn't think that the removal / reinstall is an issue. He specifically thinks the SC belt may have been over-tightened which caused the issue in the first place and wants to make sure that doesn't happen again.

They're starting to work on it after lunch, so any help you can give would be much appreciated. I never got a return call from RMM, I'll try them again too.