Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

FI Guys - where to get one step colder plugs for FI GS4

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 09:08 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Yes, its iridium. Gill, I can't recall if you were doing a supercharger or turbo on your GS; if you are not, you would not want to use these plugs.
Not necessarily true Dave.
One heat range is not too cold.Most newer cars that run knock sensors can benefit from running colder plugs.
I personally used to run 2 steps colder in my 4.6 DOHC engines with good results.
We ran a dyno test with new stock heat range plugs and the switched to a 2 step colder plug and found 8 HP.
Where the power comes from is your knock sensors are retarding timing without you knowing it.
The highest octane gas I can get in vegas is 91 and in the heat of the summer I GUARENTEE it'll be running in to the knock sensors.
When I first got my Lexus I looked for a colder plug and came up short. I will ordering a set of these for sure.And you FI guys might want to see if you can find one thats 2 steps colder.
Old 06-07-05, 10:38 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default opinion on plugs for turboed v8's

Just a idea to have, any idea if it is same as fi
Old 06-08-05, 03:46 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LMSguy
One heat range is not too cold.Most newer cars that run knock sensors can benefit from running colder plugs.
I personally used to run 2 steps colder in my 4.6 DOHC engines with good results.
We ran a dyno test with new stock heat range plugs and the switched to a 2 step colder plug and found 8 HP.
Where the power comes from is your knock sensors are retarding timing without you knowing it.
The highest octane gas I can get in vegas is 91 and in the heat of the summer I GUARENTEE it'll be running in to the knock sensors.
When I first got my Lexus I looked for a colder plug and came up short. I will ordering a set of these for sure.And you FI guys might want to see if you can find one thats 2 steps colder.

hey which sparkplug would run 2 steps colder ...when you find it let me know thanks h
Old 10-10-05, 07:30 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LMSguy

So its Ok if i keep these plugs in ? I have taken out my S/C and was planning and sending them to the new owner . I guess I will keep and send new ones to the owner
Old 10-12-05, 01:02 PM
plugmaster
Driver School Candidate

better to go too cold than too hot - too hot will destory your engine, too cold will just foul out.