Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone made a true "CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 07:08 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone made a true "CAI?

i was looking at the intake today and was wondering if anyone's tried to make a true CAI pipe down in front of the wheel. It *might* work with the right filter, i'd need to take the bumper off again and look.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-15-05, 07:36 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

LMW has one. Its fairly cheap too. Around $225. They had a groupbuy on it. There also a forum sponser.
Old 02-16-05, 09:03 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 1st gen SRT CAI. I've been using it for 4 years and only cleaned it once. The K&N filter was still so clean when I cleaned it.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1
Old 02-16-05, 10:27 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only one I could think of was the LMW's one...but that entail you drilling a 3" - 4" hole on the engine body so the intake pipe can fit through and the cone filter actually is outside of the engine bay to get cool air.

Ask LXOGOOD (Ken) about it.

Pete
Old 02-19-05, 01:16 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I don't have a 2nd gen, but we do share the same engine and configuration.

Here is a pic of my cold air intake setup added on to my Injen intake.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148832
Old 02-19-05, 09:06 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope you dont drive in the rain with your filter sitting that low!!
Old 02-20-05, 12:03 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

Honestly man... Sometimes people need to think about this real hard....

Let me explain it........... How much can this CAI possibly give you over the stock SRT intake + ECU.. maybe 1-2 HP... not a big factor considering all the risks that are involved.

I wouldn't do this personally because there is a chance that water can get into your system.. and cutting a 3'' hole into your frame? thats a big no no unless U got a FI and need to get the IC piping through..

I say keep it simple... keep it SRT lol
Old 02-21-05, 08:36 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Why even bother with the minimal power gain?

Intakes are for ricers.
Old 02-21-05, 10:51 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

when paired with a header set, exhaust and tuning, the i/h/e set up can gain lots of power, not tremendous but still enough for daily driving fun. The GS however is lacking in the header selection and makes the setup difficult, but still an intake with exhaust and tuning provides very decent gains.

"intakes are for ricers" is a really ignorant comment., if you don't have anything constructive to add, why post?
Old 02-22-05, 08:09 AM
lex400pshR
Driver

I agree!

SRT intake on Gs400 makes it sounds like a mustang on WOT... I luv it.. makes my car feel alive..

Nothing ricey about it
Old 02-22-05, 08:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannonbear
"intakes are for ricers" is a really ignorant comment., if you don't have anything constructive to add, why post?
I'm assuming he's being facetious, since his profile shows a SRT intake / ECU.
Old 02-22-05, 08:57 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Cannon - I was just trying to save you some money. If you think you can gain any noticeable hp from an i/h/e, good luck. I have an intake and exhaust and my car isn't faster. I wish someone was around CL back when i was buying these things to tell me not to.

The point i was trying to make was. You spend what 1000 to 1500 dollars and your car is maybe and i repeat maybe, just .025 seconds faster than a stock GS. That's not even worth the effort imho.

When i said," intakes are for ricers". All these kids around here, goes out and buys an i/h/e and then think their cars are super fast; when in reality, there cars are still slow , but there wallets just got smaller. Is your attitude the same as these kids? If it is, i have a vvt-i emblem that will add 10hp to your car. That 1000 would have been better of spent on a torque converter. Now that is a real performance mod.

Constructive post? So if my post disagrees with what you are saying, it's not constructive? If you go back and look at my posts, i only post when i think i have something worthwhile to say. I beleive my post was constructive in that i was trying to get you not to bother with the intake and save your money.

When will people realize that Lexus did a heck of a job with the intake and leave things be. As long as i am around, i will always try to dissuade my fellow man from purchasing an intake if the purpose is to gain power.

Have a nice day!
Old 02-22-05, 09:11 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

maybe the wording of your post got to me but i do see what you're saying, the minimal gains do not cancel out the cost of the usual intake for either the 300 or 400/430. And yeah, some ricers do just get the APC intake, OBX header and universal muffler and call it a day.

However to me, someone who has no plans of ever turbo/SC my 400, the i/h/e combo is the best route for more power. I'd rather see a clear 10-15 hp jump throughout the band then at redline (which shouldn't be too hard on a 4 liter v8 engine).

My last car, an S2000, was the peakiest car ever. A pain to drive daily because of the lack of power downlow, however coupled with a spoon intake duct and filter, mugen header and single pipe exhaust and a bit of tuning, it made daily driving easier. I know some S2K tuners hitting 260+ whp with the AEM ecu as well, so the key is the tuning not just the piping.

I guess my point is yeah to some, an intake is pointless and doesn't really justify the costs if that's all you're going to do. However, if paired with headers (if we ever get any) and a better exhaust, there are gains to be had. Sure it'll cost a lot, nothing's free and toyota did a good job of getting the power out of the car leaving little for us to extract. But it's worth it to me if i can get it all tuned right. Of course a manual transmission swap would probably make it a little easier to make use of the stock 300 hp in the first place.

Didn't mean to offend you