Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

well, my extended 100K warranty was worth it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 07:53 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking well, my extended 100K warranty was worth it...

Took my GS in to the dealer the other day for 90K service (even though I have 98500 miles now) for $1300. Got the soup-to-nuts treatment - plugs, timing belt, all fluids (trans, diff, brake, AF, oil,...) etc, AND got more than I bargained for. They replaced the WATER PUMP along with the timing belt (warranty). They also found play in the LOWER BALL JOINTS and replaced them as well, under warranty. In the process my WHOLE suspension has been tightened up, and the steering as well. Rock solid tight now, feels like a new car, unbelievable. All work was done impeccably. I think I'm good for at least another 100K !!!

Anybody else have problems with ball joints by 100K?
Old 02-26-05, 11:13 AM
noop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took my car in for the 90k service and my car needed the lower ball joints replaced also.
Old 02-26-05, 02:28 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Is there any way to tell if you'd need new lower ball joints?

My 90K's coming up soon....
Old 02-26-05, 03:00 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

i only had like 70???k and they said my lower ball joints were on there way out and my control arm..

i STILL didnt get it fixed and im at 82k....dont know if that was a good idea!
Old 02-26-05, 03:30 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Took my GS in to the dealer the other day for 90K service (even though I have 98500 miles now) for $1300. Got the soup-to-nuts treatment - plugs, timing belt, all fluids (trans, diff, brake, AF, oil,...) etc, AND got more than I bargained for. They replaced the WATER PUMP along with the timing belt (warranty). They also found play in the LOWER BALL JOINTS and replaced them as well, under warranty. In the process my WHOLE suspension has been tightened up, and the steering as well. Rock solid tight now, feels like a new car, unbelievable. All work was done impeccably. I think I'm good for at least another 100K !!!

Anybody else have problems with ball joints by 100K?
Glad to hear it was covered under warranty. Any idea how much that would have been if not covered?
Old 02-26-05, 05:00 PM
heffror
Driver School Candidate

Engin_ear, got a question for you? Did you have the steering wheel shakes before? Basically, what I am getting at is, by replacing the lower ball joints, have the vibrations (if you had any) gone away? My 98 has 91K miles on it - I got the CarMax warranty, so I am wondering if I should bring mine to them, hoping that they replace them, making some of the shakes go away. Had my car looked at the other day by my mechanic (non-Carmax), he couldn't find any reason for the shakes, other than the service bulletin, and what the rest of this board has noticed. Any info would certainly be appreciated. Thx in advance.
Old 02-26-05, 08:53 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

this may be a stuped question, but what does the 100k warranty have to do with getting the 90k service. I have the 100k warranty on mine, and Im nearing the 60k mile service...
Old 02-26-05, 08:58 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lettuce
this may be a stuped question, but what does the 100k warranty have to do with getting the 90k service. I have the 100k warranty on mine, and Im nearing the 60k mile service...
He had his 90k done but Lexus found other things that they replaced free due to the warranty.
Old 02-26-05, 08:59 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
He had his 90k done but Lexus found other things that they replaced free due to the warranty.
NICE!
Old 02-27-05, 04:10 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Okay, I want proof the warrany was worth it.

What is the total you spent on the warranty?

What was the total service value covered by the warranty?
Old 02-27-05, 07:36 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default Imho

The extended warranty on my Disco paid off in spades. Cost was $2,400 and they paid out over $4,000.

I also have one on my GS (until 100K) and I have no doubt that I will NOT "earn back" my $$$. At the same time, I never fret over repairs and/or trying to get the cheapest price for a repair.

For me, I almost always buy used and then layer the purchase price with a bumper to bumper 5 year/100K exclusionary warranty. This gives me a used car price with a new car warranty. I paid $1,300 for the warranty and simply view it as the cost for buying a used car and having peace of mind at the same time.

Eric
Old 02-28-05, 01:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that' very nice! this shows the importance of maintenance imho. it's definitely, and always, important. every time my car goes in for any "major" tune up, the car feels so much better coming out of the shop
Old 06-01-06, 09:47 AM
007lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by noop
i took my car in for the 90k service and my car needed the lower ball joints replaced also.

Does the lower ball joints normally go out at such low miles?

Is this common to all GS's?

007lexus
Old 06-01-06, 10:06 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, this is common. do a search and this topic has been discussed.

i believe people were complaining that they were going out around 60-70k and breaking around 100k. depends if you have your ride lowered with larger wheels, etc.. which will beat up your stock suspension even further.

it's a good rule of thumb to start checking for play around 75k and keep an eye on them. if they break on you while you're on the road, it will be expensive because your fender may tweak, sensor may break and the tow service will add up.
Old 06-01-06, 01:28 PM
roostinds
Driver School Candidate

how would I be able to tell if my ball joints are going out. Every once and a while when i turn and brake I hear a noise in the front. Could this be caused by the ball joints???

Quick Reply: well, my extended 100K warranty was worth it...