Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rod Millen Sport Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-01, 06:35 AM
dgangi

Question

Has anybody purchased the Rod Millen RMM Sport Intake for a 98+ GS300? If so, what are your impressions? Does it do much to help performance as it claims? Does anybody out there make a better system at the same or lower price?

I have used K&N products in my other cars (99 Tahoe and 95 G20T) with mild success but K&N doesn't make anything for the GS300 The biggest difference was in my Tahoe -- the engine didn't seem so bottled down when I put my foot into it. In addition, I really hate paper filters and like the breathability/reusability of the oil-based washable filters, hence my choice for K&N in the past.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thx...Doug
Old 05-31-01, 08:43 AM
RacingAristo

Doug,

From what I've heard from the members, do not waste your money on RMM's intake. Because adding an intake will change the amount of air entering the engine and sometimes ECU doesn't recongize the change and the car may suffer with less performance.

I recommend (1) SRT intake/ecu. Costs $675 shipped but instead you get heat shield, intake, ecu, and 22 more horsepower and 24 ft/lb. The installation is relatively easy. (2) APEXi S-AFC with your choice of intake. This combo may be cheaper than SRT and you can always tune your car to the max performance when you add other components, such as exhausts. However, you will have to take your car to the professional to tune it. But S-AFC looks so cool.

I hope this help.
Old 05-31-01, 10:35 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked going the AFC route because it is flexible, so when I do new stuff to my car I can re tune it. Like when I put a blower on. If you have the right person tune it you will get equal results if not better as compared to the SRT HFI
Old 05-31-01, 11:32 PM
RacingAristo

Black_IS300,

I'm not sure if I asked you this before but could you tell me where you install and tune your S-AFC and how much. You could either private message me or email me via RacingAristo@clublexus.com

Thank you very much.
Old 06-01-01, 12:10 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 1st gen RMM intake with Blitz filter. What kind of performance gains am I lookin at if I get a S-AFC and tune it right?
Old 06-08-01, 01:36 AM
GSAristo
Driver

I too have the same setup as GlobeCLK and would be very interested in the S-AFC. Can someone please post what exactly the S-AFC includes (parts wise) and how it would be installed on my car? I'm worried that it may require splicing into some stock wiring. Please say it ain't so? LOL, right?

Also, what's the price on the S-AFC (ball park). And does anyone know of a shop that can do the install and tuning in Southern California.

Thanks,

Old 06-08-01, 02:04 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Allan,

check your PM.
Old 06-27-01, 11:38 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

i also have the RMM 1st gen intake, would i get more performance changing to srt hfi or the s-afc ??? and where can i get that installed in the orange county area??
Old 06-28-01, 12:47 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SilverGSguy
i also have the RMM 1st gen intake, would i get more performance changing to srt hfi or the s-afc ??? and where can i get that installed in the orange county area??

More performance.
Changing to SRT HFI will of course get you alot more HP, but keep in mind you're spending ALOT of money, and you're buying a second tube and filter.

All you need is the S-AFC and some fine tuning. Cost you roughly 300 for S-AFC.

I don't know how much installation and tuning would be. I figured within the 100~150 range.

You can get it installed/Tuned at either XS-Engineering or Area 51. Black_IS300 where's Area 51? How much did it cost to tune?
Old 06-28-01, 07:00 PM
RacingAristo

I'm highly interested in S-AFC but my only concern is that is there any interior drilling or modification required for the installation?
Old 06-28-01, 07:14 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

racingaristo,

im prob gonna get this installed sometime next week, ill let you know what happens after i get it.
Old 06-28-01, 08:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RacingAristo
I'm highly interested in S-AFC but my only concern is that is there any interior drilling or modification required for the installation?

Run the wire through the opening on the firewall into the interior.

Depending on where you mount it, there shouldn't be drilling required.
Old 06-28-01, 10:32 PM
RacingAristo

racingaristo,

im prob gonna get this installed sometime next week, ill let you know what happens after i get it.
Sure man! Where are you gonna install your unit? If you have a digicam, would you please take a pic of it? Thank a bunch!
Old 06-28-01, 10:36 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

im not sure where im gonna get it done, im prob gonna call around to see which store knows about it the most then get it done there. if i can find my digicam i will take a picture.
Old 06-29-01, 12:36 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

im not sure where im gonna get it done, im prob gonna call around to see which store knows about it the most then get it done there. if i can find my digicam i will take a picture.

Hm.
Call XS Engineering I guess.
Safest place to get it done, authorized APEXi distributor. Biggest APEXi distributor in So.Cal.

http://www.xs-engineering.com/

Quick Reply: Rod Millen Sport Intake