Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supra LSD question....and yes i searched

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 10:45 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used an ATS Carbon clutch type LSD [stock gearing] for about two years and recently switched to a 3.76 Torsen. I did not get the massive performance improvement I had hoped but I definitely notice the gearing change in my day to day driving - I'm always a gear off from where I manually shifted before.

What I did notice is I get less wheelspin now. With the ATS I always drove with the traction control OFF because I found it intruded in my day to day driving. With the Torsen I have found that I can drive with the traction control ON and still have some fun without power being cut.

And for those wondering about my ATS - it's not for sale.
Old 03-08-05, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

interesting. i thought wih the 3.76 you can get wheel spin off the line more easily?
Old 03-08-05, 11:04 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting. i thought wih the 3.76 you can get wheel spin off the line more easily?
I could spin at will with the ATS. I can spin at will with the 3.76. Difference is mainly in applying power through the corners - the 3.76 seems less apt to break traction.
Old 03-09-05, 03:20 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redgs4
I could spin at will with the ATS. I can spin at will with the 3.76. Difference is mainly in applying power through the corners - the 3.76 seems less apt to break traction.
so which do you recommend
Old 03-09-05, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so you are saying that the 3.76 is distributing power better so less easy to spin at corners?
Old 03-09-05, 05:09 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
so which do you recommend
Supercharged I would go with the stock gearing. NA I will stick with the 3.76.
Old 03-09-05, 05:11 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

so you are saying that the 3.76 is distributing power better so less easy to spin at corners?
Yes. But with either you can spin when you stomp on the gas.
Old 03-09-05, 08:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Supercharged I would go with the stock gearing. NA I will stick with the 3.76.
that would be my choice too. given how fast my car rev up now with the 3.76, i can only imagine the fi
Old 03-14-05, 09:34 AM
cacrawfo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing final drive ratio with a gearing change will DEFINITELY affect the accuracy of the speedometer. The VSS measures output shaft speed, so any change downstream will affect speedo reading.... I.E. different tire OD, or final drive change...

Carl c
Old 03-14-05, 10:04 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cacrawfo
Changing final drive ratio with a gearing change will DEFINITELY affect the accuracy of the speedometer. The VSS measures output shaft speed, so any change downstream will affect speedo reading.... I.E. different tire OD, or final drive change...

Carl c
Speaking from personal experience, the gearing change on our cars does not affect the speedo readings. I have done gear swaps on other vehicles that DID affect the speedo and needed to change the speedo drive gear to compensate. Changing the tire O.D. will affect the speedo however...
Old 03-14-05, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by cacrawfo

Carl c
changing the final drive ratio, yes, for sure. my gs4 is constantly showing "slower" speed than what i am really doing.

but changing the differential unit from open to trd, i dont' see how that will affect it?
Old 03-14-05, 01:35 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

I'm using the TRD LSD and have been for a while. Every once in a while I bounce off the rev-limiter in the 1-2 shift. Not often. If I did anything different, I would get my TC out and drop the stall speed to the 2400. Other than that, no complaints. I like the fact that I still retained stock gearing. No complaints from me at all.
Old 03-14-05, 02:40 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

changing the final drive ratio, yes, for sure. my gs4 is constantly showing "slower" speed than what i am really doing.

but changing the differential unit from open to trd, i dont' see how that will affect it?
Henry, you're running 20s on your car, correct? That would be the reason your speedo is slightly "slow" compared to actual speed. This would be true to some degree with a "fat" 19 set up, although perhaps not as much. The taller O.D. of the tire will cause this effect.
The 3.76 gearing though would cause the speedo to show a "faster" speed if it had any effect at all. But that's not what happens. Anybody who has done the gear swap knows about how much the rpms increase at a given speed (approx. 300 rpm or so). Speedo accuracy is not changed.
The NAV system is not affected by the gear swap for the same reasons...
Old 03-14-05, 04:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Henry, you're running 20s on your car, correct? That would be the reason your speedo is slightly "slow" compared to actual speed. This would be true to some degree with a "fat" 19 set up, although perhaps not as much. The taller O.D. of the tire will cause this effect.
The 3.76 gearing though would cause the speedo to show a "faster" speed if it had any effect at all. But that's not what happens. Anybody who has done the gear swap knows about how much the rpms increase at a given speed (approx. 300 rpm or so). Speedo accuracy is not changed.
The NAV system is not affected by the gear swap for the same reasons...
oh man, sorry, brain farts.... i apologize, no clue what i was thinking. the 3.76 wouldn't change the speed at all. and yes, my 20s is the reason why my speedo is off @_@
Old 03-15-05, 09:45 AM
cacrawfo
Rookie

NAV system uses GPS and dead reconing. The dead reconing is from the ABS individual wheels sensors, so only a tire OD change will affect that... and even then it probably re-calibrates itself to jive with the GPS readings.....

Quick Reply: Supra LSD question....and yes i searched