Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque Master Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 03:52 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
I had a set of TM plugs put in at around 100k. now i'm at 172k. just had my second set installed and honestly, the first set still worked just fine. i cleaned out my throttle body and did a seafoam before getting them swapped though.

the car ran just fine before but after the throttle body cleaning, seafoam, and new TM plugs, car runs maybe a little better? i'm sure it's better, just not like gs300 => gs400 better.

maybe my fuel economy will improve - who knows. i'll post up later since i'm still on the same tank of fuel that i had when i had the plugs swapped.
+1. Nearing 100k on my TMs and never a hiccup. Very pleased and the car seemed more responsive when compared to OEM plugs. When is the next Carson group buy?
Old 04-22-08, 05:10 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+2 that's what I want to know...the next Carson Group buy for Torque Master spark plugs!!! I would like a new set!
Old 04-28-08, 05:08 PM
mayad79
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque masters rule

Got my set of eight installed, thanks to Carson Toyota.

Can not believe it! The smoothness of the power, the gas efficiency, the cleanest smelling exhaust ever.

This new technology will now be tested for the long haul...

I have 200,000 miles and got it at ten miles. just for fun I wanted to see how the vvt-i would react, without an ecu reset. The car didn't know what to do with the power since I have been driving sloooooow lately. It began to pick up on the gear shifting much faster than I expected. Also, went around the beltline in RDU, used very little gas. The tachometer says 2 grand at 70 mph.

I will reset the ecu tomorrow.

Everyone will hear about TM plugs from me. Thank GOD.
Old 04-29-08, 07:31 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would the VVT-i change it's settings compared to the spark plug longevity? If anything it was to your advantage to not reset your ecu, and keep your previous data, but let us know what happened when you reset it. You don't think with 200k, you could have just needed new plugs anyways? 2,000 rpm at 70 mph is normal. I do 3,000 rpm at 90, get 21mpg and i use OEM densos.. Keep wasting your money.
Old 04-29-08, 01:25 PM
mayad79
Rookie

Default Not a waste of money

Although I have 200,000 miles, I have changed the plugs 8 times, so your comment is not apreciated. If anything your wasting your money, simply because your stuck in the past, you probably still use deisel huh? Go ahead and just keep sending your money to the zeitgeist.

Everyone just ignore this guy, he wouldn't believe the dyno test. What proof do you need? Thats not a question so don't even type a reply. I am offended by your lack....
Old 04-29-08, 01:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm one of those who went from OEM Plugs to TM and then back to OEM. Now let me explain my situation.

I had the OEM Denso in my car and wanted to try out the TM plugs. I switched over and found that my top end pulled quicker. Most people would consider this a placebo effect. I thought so too until maybe 2000 miles later when my friend kept on bugging me to go back to OEM Denso because he did not trust the TM plugs. I sold the TMs with a $60 loss, and spent an extra $70 on brand new OEM densos. Now placebo effect would have told me new plugs performed the same, if not better than old plugs. I threw them in the car and took it for a run. The top end didn't pull as hard so I thought maybe it was just me. I handed over my car to another friend of mine (SC300 owner on this board) and he asked me why my car felt slower than it did a few days before (mind you, he never knew I changed plugs so he thinks I was still on the TM).

So I ended up spending at least $120 to go back to square one in which I regret selling the TMs in the first place.
Old 04-29-08, 01:37 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mayad79
Although I have 200,000 miles, I have changed the plugs 8 times, so your comment is not apreciated. If anything your wasting your money, simply because your stuck in the past, you probably still use deisel huh? Go ahead and just keep sending your money to the zeitgeist.

Everyone just ignore this guy, he wouldn't believe the dyno test. What proof do you need? Thats not a question so don't even type a reply. I am offended by your lack....
+1...agreed and to each his own. TM's ftw!!! I need a new set soon also.
Old 04-29-08, 05:20 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

8 times in 200k miles?!?! I work for toyota, i do not care if you ignore me or not. I work on toyota's all day long, i used to work for lexus, but have since found a better job. I try to put my input in as if it were my own opinion. However i learn about these cars all day long. To find out toyota spent years building and perfecting the UZ engine, i find it very hard to steer away from OEM parts, they are just DESIGNED for the engine! I'm sorry if i do not believe a post by another person simply because he says he said it was so. I will just leave it as it is, good luck with whatever plug you choose. I will stick with my OEM 120k mile plugs. AND how could spark plugs possibly change the VVT-i. I want to understand where this comes into play with the amount of camshaft variation?
Old 04-29-08, 07:43 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
8 times in 200k miles?!?! I work for toyota, i do not care if you ignore me or not. I work on toyota's all day long, i used to work for lexus, but have since found a better job. I try to put my input in as if it were my own opinion. However i learn about these cars all day long. To find out toyota spent years building and perfecting the UZ engine, i find it very hard to steer away from OEM parts, they are just DESIGNED for the engine! I'm sorry if i do not believe a post by another person simply because he says he said it was so. I will just leave it as it is, good luck with whatever plug you choose. I will stick with my OEM 120k mile plugs. AND how could spark plugs possibly change the VVT-i. I want to understand where this comes into play with the amount of camshaft variation?
here's proof they work!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=312097
Old 04-30-08, 06:44 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

3UZFTE - I too understand where you are coming from as far as "OEM parts, they are just DESIGNED for the engine!" However, do you NOT think that Torque Master or any other PROVEN vendor did THOUSANDS of hours of R&D on these particular engines in order to make their product work? Of course they did! So eventhough OEM parts are in fact designed specifically for the engine so are many aftermarket parts...the performance aspect is just an added bonus. However, certain items I would only stick with OEM; but that's just my opinion to which you, I and everyone else is entitled to.
Old 04-30-08, 06:51 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Agreed, i just don't think that the people at Torquemaster went out an tested on toyotas, hondas, bmws, mazdas, fords, and chevys as much as the manufactuers themselves. I'm sure they did testing, i just don't think they did as much as Toyota. But i do agree with your statement, opinions are like a*holes, everyone has one.. haha
Old 04-30-08, 07:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,392 Posts

AND how could spark plugs possibly change the VVT-i. I want to understand where this comes into play with the amount of camshaft variation?
There is no claim about any impact on VVT-I from TorqueMaster, just a member's random comment (I'm not sure where that came from either). Please don't take everything you read here quite so literally.

For the maximum performance out of my car, there is no way I'm leaving a set of plugs in it for 100K or more miles, even if they're designed for it and made out of platinum or unobtanium. Plugs are too cheap and too important a maintenance item to run them until they're significantly degraded. But hey, I change my oil every 3K as well with synthetic, use different fluids than Lexus recomments, replaced the exhaust and pretty much the entire suspension, improved the performance, handling, stopping, sound system and looks (subjective of course) from OEM... I pick and choose what's best for what my goals with my vehicle are. With some of the changes I've made my car is at higher risk for breaking before a bone stock one would, and that's OK with me .

If you don't like the TM plugs and don't believe the independent dyno I linked you to earlier or the input & comments of dozens of other members, then simply don't get 'em. Like you said its a personal choice - just like they are a good choice for other members. Most every OEM part can be improved somehow, there is a mix of cost, quality, durability, cost of materials, availability, etc that the manufacturer must balance. In many cases aftermarket can safely coax more out of a vehicle when the manufacturer has left some performance on the design table in one of these tradeoffs.

I had the TM plugs in my GS before I put on my supercharger and loved them, but need a cooler range plug now. I would use them again if I went back to NA.
Old 05-08-08, 07:09 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Appreciate the post, i guess working for the dealer has blinded me by OEM parts. Agreed with the performance aspect of of the plugs, i just find otherways to waste my money i guess. Now i need a BBK and a supercharger, thank dave.
Old 05-30-09, 10:13 PM
jim08lee
Driver School Candidate

bought a set of TM from carson. misfires up the wazoo...what a pain. had to get back in and replaced with NGK iridium...no issues since...just one man's experience.
Old 05-30-09, 10:53 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Seems like people have good and bad things to say about these plugs. I what's good anymore. i guess i'll just stick with oem

Quick Reply: Torque Master Spark Plugs