Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT intake questions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 07:38 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRT intake questions???

heh guys, i have a 400 or course and am interested in picking up an srt intake,,,,,,i do however enjoy the quietness of the gs,,,,,,,,,,i recently picked up a L-sportline exhaust and like the mild tone of the exhaust with no drone, and the whistling is pretty cool as well,,,,,,,,,,,well anyway i like the srt intake and was looking at picking one up,,,,,,for those of you that have it, just how loud is it?,,,,,is it overbearing or just a slight increase in noise,,,,,,,,i just dont want my car to sound like a honda or people to associate the sound with a honda, your opinions and comments are appreciated
Old 03-24-05, 09:02 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have it and i wouldn't say that it's loud unless you punch the gas and really make the intake open at the snap.... it does however have a distinct hissing noise ( i would guess with all intakes ) but it is definitely louder than my friend's injen on his RSX and my other's AEM on his accord... I love the SRT intake and i love the noise that it makes but if quiet is what you're aiming for, the SRT might be a bit loud...

i can't say how loud it is while moving becuase my blitz exhaust overpowers the SRT in sound but if you punch the gas, you can hear the intake pop open and a distinct hiss...
Old 03-24-05, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

put it this way. i got apexi exhaust and i love it. i drove a gs4 with apexi exhaust and the srt intake..... damn it's so loud..... i decided against intake for life on this car
Old 03-25-05, 03:33 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt say its as bad as Henry says it is

i would just have one of your guys build an an enclosure for it

Drewgs4 was able to gain about 38+hp from it
Old 03-25-05, 05:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
i wouldnt say its as bad as Henry says it is

i would just have one of your guys build an an enclosure for it

Drewgs4 was able to gain about 38+hp from it
Is this for real? 38 + HP?

I did a search for this but cannot find it. Where did you read this?
Old 03-25-05, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Hameed

i forgot the thread but he did say it before, it's before and after dyno?
Old 03-25-05, 11:57 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered the SRT intake from Steve today, and I had the same question. But what I don't understand is, apparently this thing only really makes noise when you're pushing the car hard, and I would think that hearing the engine DO something when accelerating is a good thing for the sport minded. I just hope there's no irritating drone when cruising down the highway, but I'll soon find out...
Old 03-25-05, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I just ordered the SRT intake from Steve today, and I had the same question. But what I don't understand is, apparently this thing only really makes noise when you're pushing the car hard, and I would think that hearing the engine DO something when accelerating is a good thing for the sport minded. I just hope there's no irritating drone when cruising down the highway, but I'll soon find out...
well again it's probably just me, but the gs4 i drove constantly has that hawling (sucking air in) noise, even when i was just leaving the parking lot. to me sound to outside is perfectly fine, as long as they don't enter the cabin. we were in the car with windows closed and it was pretty loud inside at least by my standard. so.... that's my 2 cents
Old 03-25-05, 12:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

The aluminum(?) cold-air box for the SRT is just a sheet of metal. Has anyone built any kind of noise dampening material around it to quiet it down a bit? I may experiment with this.
Old 03-25-05, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by engin_ear
The aluminum(?) cold-air box for the SRT is just a sheet of metal. Has anyone built any kind of noise dampening material around it to quiet it down a bit? I may experiment with this.
just wondering here. if you put sound dampening stuff around it, wouldn't it trap heat?
Old 03-25-05, 01:04 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by rominl
just wondering here. if you put sound dampening stuff around it, wouldn't it trap heat?
It may, but this always depends on where the heat is coming from/going to. It might also keep the heat OUT of the box, since the engine compartment is where the hot air is, and the box cold-air inlet is at lower bumper. I'm honestly a little puzzled as to why the box is not more insulated than it is, so maybe there's more to it. Maybe someone that really knows the theory of how these things are supposed to work as far as flow goes can chime in here. That is, if it really IS any more complicated.
Old 03-25-05, 03:55 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

As for the question about drone with the SRT intake - don't worry, there is no drone. Its only loud ( but I think in a masculine V8 kinda way ) when you really get on it. At less than full throttle there can be a slight 'whistling' noise, but not bad in my opinion ( especially for us that have had turbo cars in the past ). When pampering the engine there will literally no noise difference. And of course this is all JMO.
Old 03-25-05, 04:06 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...3&page=2&pp=15

Originally Posted by drewgs4
Thanks guys for the positive feedback
Hameed, I think you have more experience than me. Your mods are more expensive than mine especially when you count your HRE's

Do I think the SRT intake is worth it? It is pricey. Many of you know I had the K&N FIPK intake on as well. That worked well. The difference between the two is very slight. The sound is more noticable on the SRT. K&N makes an excellent product From 0-60mph I think all 3 intakes are equal. Yes, I am also comparing the stock intake.

But, when you accelerate from 60mph onwards to 100mph+ I felt the SRT as slightly more responsive than the K&N and more so than the OEM. Maybe because of the larger inner tube and RACE ECU. Did I notice a huge change in performance when I got theSRT intake....yes and that performance is noticeable in the top end acceleration "car pulled a bit harder". I actually felt I lost a little on the low end. The TC now corrects all that and more.
I would get an intake purely because of the look and the sound it makes. We all know it is only a slight noticeable difference in peformance that you can directly feel and measure. However, 38+ extra horespower based on my DYNO results is definately something to consider when making a decision.
I think the intake actually works better along with the TC. Intake alone is hard to feel.

I would spend the money on the TC first before any mod I have done including suspension, brakes, and body kit. There is no other way to explain it's...simply AWESOME. Coilover and suspension has to rank very close to the top because that was instant feedback on how the car behaved and felt.

My order would be (Torque convertor, suspension and steering ECU, body kit, intake and or exhaust)
Old 03-25-05, 06:28 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SRT does not bother me at all. There is some hissing but no whistle. I used a dremel to smooth out the interior - the interior finish was terrible with lots of metal crap dangling in the airways. This may be what is causing some folk's SRTs to whistle.
Old 03-25-05, 11:34 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

My SRT will be arriving this week. I will doing some mods to it. To keep it cooler and may be more of a box. We will see. I will take pics whn im done.

Quick Reply: SRT intake questions???