Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking for opinions on the L-Tuned exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-01, 08:31 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm just about ready to call Steve for my next batch of tuning stuff. One of the items in which I'm interested is the L-Tuned exhaust (others are the sway bars and lower chassis brace). However, I'm really agnonizing over this one... I REALLY enjoy the sound level of the car right now. What I mean by that is the silence during normal driving. About half the time I think the growl of the engine during hard acceleration is enough; about half the time I wish it were a little more aggressive. Note the use of the term "a little more," not overwhelmingly so!

I know many of you go for exhaust for a really loud, resonant sound like a muscle car. No offense, but that's not the sound I'm looking for here. I'm looking for those that wanted a perfect balance of comfort/isolation and sportiness. For those of you who have the L-Tuned exhaust, would you mind answering some questions to help me make a decision?

1. How is the sound level at normal driving speeds/RPMs? Is it notably louder than stock? I've heard people say "it's not bad if you're playing the stereo." That's not a good answer to me. I like to take to people on road trips with the stereo off.

2. How is the sound during hard acceleration?

3. How is the sound at idle? Do you have noticable resonance or is it still the typical Lexus "is my car really running?!"

4. If you've installed the L-Tuned exhaust, are you happy with it or do you regret it?

Thanks for your candid responses! I'm hoping to make a decision so I can order parts by early next week.

Regards,
Scott
Old 06-07-01, 09:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

I have the L-Tuned exhaust, maybe I can help.

> 1. How is the sound level at normal driving speeds/RPMs?

Depends on your definition of 'normal'

More seriously, there's a low pitch 'droning' when at part throttle, which does get louder right at 1900rpm I've noticed, but it's funny, some days I notice it and some days I don't at all, with or without stereo.

> Is it notably louder than stock?

Well since the stock exhaust is basically silent except for when you get above 3000 rpm then YES. Even above 3000rpm with stock exhaust most of the sound is engine and not exhaust as far as I can tell.

Cruising on the highway it's very quiet but you can still hear it if the stereo's off.

> I've heard people say "it's not bad if you're playing the stereo." That's not a good answer to me. I like to take to people on road trips with the stereo off.

Sometimes with my wife in the car I think she might be finding it annoying (with the stereo off) but she's never said so.

> 2. How is the sound during hard acceleration?

AWESOME. Like a V8 should be.

3. How is the sound at idle? Do you have noticable resonance or is it still the typical Lexus "is my car really running?!"

It's VERY quiet at idle. Great sound on turning the engine over to start though - kind of a WOOF! And then down to VERY quiet as it idles.

> 4. If you've installed the L-Tuned exhaust, are you happy with it or do you regret it?

I'm very happy with it, but it does make the car more 'boy racer' than Lexus quiet, so it sounds to me like it's not what you want.

I love the sound 90% of the time. The 10% I don't is sometimes when I'm driving 'gently' basically, but the part throttle to drive keeps rpms around 2K and that's where it resonates most.

One other big factor though is looks. The L-Tuned exhaust looks SO much better than the stock one. The stock one looks like a joke in comparison, a pea shooter coming out of the huge opening in the rear bumper.

Hope this helps. Maybe you should grab a cheap flight from Austin to Atlanta, and I'll show ya!
Old 06-08-01, 01:37 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Thanks, Bit. Hmmmmmm...based on your statements I'm thinking I may pass on the exhaust. I enjoy a nice throaty exhaust note (I drove '67 and '68 Mustangs for ten years!), but I'm ready for noise isolation in the cabin, I think. I don't want to be isolated from the road, hence the suspension, steering, and chassis tuning, but I enjoy the silence...

Maybe I'll take you up on that offer if I'm ever in the Atlanta area. I can always order the exhaust later if I'm sure I want it.

Thanks again for the opinion,
Scott
Old 06-08-01, 04:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

After I wrote my comments last night, I got in my car today and started it - deep 'woof' - big smile. Drove away, low rumble. Silent at the light. Green - foot down, vroooom GREAT sound... big smile!

No regrets!
Old 06-11-01, 02:10 AM
01BlueGS430
Rookie

Scott,

Let me know if you decide to pick up the exhaust, I'd love to check it out.

btw... calling Steve tomorrow to pick up the suspension parts.

Good luck man!
Old 06-11-01, 03:39 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I just ordered the sways and the lower chassis brace...no mufflers, though. I put some miles on the car this weekend looking at houses and decided that I like the sound of the car exactly like it is now...or at least close enough that I don't want it louder except during hard acceleration.

I'm scheduled to have my 10K mile servicing next Thursday so hopefully I'll have the parts by then (Steve's definitely trying!). I can't wait!

Thanks again for taking the time to give an opinion, Bit.