Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 08:58 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
I am pretty sure he is going to be running some pretty high boost.
He may eventually, but in the beginning he's going to be more conservative.

Guys on here running SC kits have stated that the SAFCII doesn't get the job done.
As one of those "guys", I ran a SAFCII w/o a single tuning issue for almost 2 yrs. Driving the car daily I might add. So as far as "not getting the job done", I'm not sure what exactly that's referring to because it has been working for me perfectly fine.

I believe TLW and 00LexonDub could chime in here since I think they both moved to a better controller. I am just commenting on what I have heard. Something better than the SAFC for our engines has been discussed in other threads and is necessary to make big power to my understanding.

Rick is using a different variation of a piggy-back himself with the only difference being that the Interceptor is supposed to be able to adjust timing. Can it do it in our cars? I'll leave Rick to answer that because I personally don't know. The Interceptor has that capability, but so does the E-manage and it doesn't work for our cars. The Map ECU is another that is a lot like the Interceptor. We've tried it and it didn't fair any better than the good ole SAFCII.

You are correct, a full stand-alone is in fact necessary when you go with crazy boost. But Morris has 8:1 compression and forged pistons, which will also go a long way towards fighting detonation too. He won't be running crazy boost to begin with.

Boost is boost. Some systems flow more volume and thereby need more fuel, but at its basics Boost regardless out of a Turbo or a Supercharger is the same. Yes, like I said, some setups FLOW better and thereby net more power, but as long as you have enough fuel to compensate there shouldn't be a problem. Yes, timing control would be nice to have in order to further safeguard against detonation, but w/o a full stand-alone it's not that easy.
Old 08-22-05, 09:00 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Add little more money and get a piggyback that also control timing. One of the example would be Split Second FTC1 or MAP ECU. The price range is about $525 to 650 be well worth in the long run and especially for boost higher then 10 psi.
I would think this would be important for running NoS safe also. Most guys I know running juice on their domestics have their timing adjusted on the fly when the hit occurs at a certain RPM range the timing adjusts too. Then when NoS turns off the timing goes back to original setting.
Old 08-22-05, 09:04 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Sorry guys I have been sidetracked Jaime is correct, I will be running relatively low boost for the forseeable future. My immediate goal is to tune to 500hp and call it a day.
Old 08-22-05, 09:05 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Well, I still have not seen a definitive answer on here if anyone has found a VVti controller that works. TLW linked to something new over in Australia that looks promising but who knows for sure until someone has success.

Won't Morris need to run pretty high boost if he is shooting for 500HP?

From everything I hear and have read the weakest link in FI for our cars is the ECU and tuning aspect. jmecbr900 you are making it sound like it is not an issue which is the opposite of everything I have heard. Are you also running a single turbo kit from Mahdavi?

I am asking about this because the tuning is one of the biggest reasons I have shyed away from boost so far.
Old 08-22-05, 09:11 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

The expectation is that we will be able to make 500hp with 14psi or less. What we have to remember is that we are talking a larger V8 here not what we are used to hearing about which is predominantly 4 or 6 cylinders. I have previously made almost 400hp on 8-10 psi
Old 08-22-05, 10:12 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jmecbr900
He may eventually, but in the beginning he's going to be more conservative.

As one of those "guys", I ran a SAFCII w/o a single tuning issue for almost 2 yrs. Driving the car daily I might add. So as far as "not getting the job done", I'm not sure what exactly that's referring to because it has been working for me perfectly fine.

Rick is using a different variation of a piggy-back himself with the only difference being that the Interceptor is supposed to be able to adjust timing. Can it do it in our cars? I'll leave Rick to answer that because I personally don't know. The Interceptor has that capability, but so does the E-manage and it doesn't work for our cars. The Map ECU is another that is a lot like the Interceptor. We've tried it and it didn't fair any better than the good ole SAFCII.

You are correct, a full stand-alone is in fact necessary when you go with crazy boost. But Morris has 8:1 compression and forged pistons, which will also go a long way towards fighting detonation too. He won't be running crazy boost to begin with.

Boost is boost. Some systems flow more volume and thereby need more fuel, but at its basics Boost regardless out of a Turbo or a Supercharger is the same. Yes, like I said, some setups FLOW better and thereby net more power, but as long as you have enough fuel to compensate there shouldn't be a problem. Yes, timing control would be nice to have in order to further safeguard against detonation, but w/o a full stand-alone it's not that easy.

jamie

whats up bro , did you change yor setup to turbo , if so what ever happened to the rmm kit????
Old 08-22-05, 01:36 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I still have not seen a definitive answer on here if anyone has found a VVti controller that works. TLW linked to something new over in Australia that looks promising but who knows for sure until someone has success.
Uhhhh VVTI is not timing control.....

Timing is separate. Even though VVTI and timing are in conjunction with each other it is not tuning timing. Any standalone/piggyback would be fine with just the standard fuel and timing control. There would be no direct need for any VVTI control.

But there is a controller made by power enterprises (PE CANCOM) that does fuel and timing and VVTI. The negative side its in 500 rpm increments which is not the best for accuracy.
Old 08-22-05, 01:56 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Again, I'm not sure why you are confusing VVti with Timing per se, but one doesn't have to do with the other. VVti is controlled by the stock ECU. VVti has to do with the Valves and not the ignition. Ignition is controlled by the ECU, hence it's inherent problems with being controlled externally by any piggy back.

Won't Morris need to run pretty high boost if he is shooting for 500HP?
Not really. The shop is going to try and get him there w/o having to go crazy. If not, then it's up to Morris as to what he wants to do.

From everything I hear and have read the weakest link in FI for our cars is the ECU and tuning aspect. jmecbr900 you are making it sound like it is not an issue which is the opposite of everything I have heard. Are you also running a single turbo kit from Mahdavi?
Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything BUT I have been USING, not hearing, the SAFCII for over 2 years when I had my S/C setup. I never ran anymore than 8psi, and that was only for a brief time. Most of us were on that search for seeing 10 psi consistently which was thought to be the necessary boost amount to see the other side of 400 whp. I drove my car for over 20K miles with ONLY the SAFCII and had ZERO problems with tuning. There are others on here that also ran and STILL run the SAFCII w/o problems. Problems seem to appear when you go too much over 10 psi w/o going way up on the injectors. SAFCII has very much a limit to what it can do. I still drive my car EVERYDAY with an SAFCII w/o any problems so far too. You may be "hearing" things from people, but I'm telling you that I've been USING the SAFCII myself on FI for a looonnnnngg time w/o a hitch. So again, this is why I disagree with you.

So to answer your question directly: Yes, I am running a single turbo on my GS4; Yes, I'm running it with a SAFCII; No, I don't plan to run anything else unless something comes up; Yes, I drive the car everyday. I even drove it to the track on Friday and ran it like 10 passes w/o a hitch. Drove it home too.

I am asking about this because the tuning is one of the biggest reasons I have shyed away from boost so far.
No need to shy away from anything. There are plenty of pioneers around here that have taken that plunge long before you did and can guide you. I thought the same thing too. When I first FI'd my car back in 03, there literally only a few people in the whole country that had tried it. Talk about shy. Quite a few of us still talk on a regular basis and bounce ideas and share heartaches with each other. As long as you don't go nuts with it, FI can be done even for a daily driver. When you start getting crazy is when problems come up.
Old 08-22-05, 01:59 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
jamie

whats up bro , did you change yor setup to turbo , if so what ever happened to the rmm kit????

Yes sir I did. My kit is in Cali right now. A fellow CL member will be debuting it soon enough..... As luck would have it, he is even getting a brand new one and not used as it turns out. He'll have to tell yall about our ordeal on that.....

You coming to Nopi Nats, right?
Old 08-22-05, 04:37 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...I even drove it to the track on Friday and ran it like 10 passes w/o a hitch. Drove it home too.
How dare you post a comment like this and not provide any further information!! Where'e the time slips buddy!! LOL
Old 08-22-05, 04:50 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes sir I did. My kit is in Cali right now. A fellow CL member will be debuting it soon enough..... As luck would have it, he is even getting a brand new one and not used as it turns out. He'll have to tell yall about our ordeal on that.....

You coming to Nopi Nats, right?

sure am and i expect the ride of my life from you and dr.g
Old 08-22-05, 04:54 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr.G
How dare you post a comment like this and not provide any further information!! Where'e the time slips buddy!! LOL
Ditto, I was about to ask the same question.
Old 08-22-05, 05:00 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So am I reading this right?? There is a turbo setup for the GS400? Single or Twin? Cost?? More details please!!

Jonny
Old 08-22-05, 05:00 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hollywood
Uhhhh VVTI is not timing control.....

Timing is separate. Even though VVTI and timing are in conjunction with each other it is not tuning timing. Any standalone/piggyback would be fine with just the standard fuel and timing control. There would be no direct need for any VVTI control.

But there is a controller made by power enterprises (PE CANCOM) that does fuel and timing and VVTI. The negative side its in 500 rpm increments which is not the best for accuracy.
I was under the impression the VVti controllers were the only thing available that allowed timing control on our cars... with the added benefit of controlling VVti obviously... I never said controlling VVti and timing was the same thing... well, I kinda did, but I didn't mean it to come out that way... even though in our cars I was under the impression they go hand in hand... which you stated.

Is there a non VVti controller for our cars that controls timing? I am asking because I am trying to get as much info together before I decide whether to FI and whether to go Turbo or SC.

Why would one need a VVti controller then?

Last edited by CinFulxgs; 08-22-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 05:04 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

So to answer your question directly: Yes, I am running a single turbo on my GS4; Yes, I'm running it with a SAFCII; No, I don't plan to run anything else unless something comes up; Yes, I drive the car everyday. I even drove it to the track on Friday and ran it like 10 passes w/o a hitch. Drove it home too.
This is what I am looking for, daily driver with 350+ RWHP... and If SAFC alone can handle that all the better!!!

Good to know something like this is possible, for the last couple of months and reading about others FI it seemed to be something difficult to tune and get good (safe) results. Outside of Dave's SC running a custom piggyback from SRT it seemed most others were not happy with the tuning aspect. Good to hear from someone who is running something more basic and having it run and tune well.

Quick Reply: Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun