Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 10:33 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a shot of the manifolds to the turbo.
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun-dsc05180lowbw.jpg  
Old 04-02-05, 10:37 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Shot of the Maf and intake
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun-dsc05178lowbw.jpg  
Old 04-02-05, 10:38 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very intersting stuffs... You guys sure keep it simple . I heard the tundra manifold will fit, They flow a little bit better. Are you going to use anything to keep the heat down? What kind of fuel management are you planning to run? Is this stock compresssion? You still runinng MAF?
Should change it over to speed density.
JP Importz
Old 04-02-05, 10:46 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yea heat shield for the turbo, all the piping will have the welds ground down and then HPC powder coating on all the piping and the exhasut side of the turbo. I am running stock compression for now and so we will limit the boost to 8-10 PSI which I was able to run with the supercharger. So I figure I should be okay with that level of boost on the turbo setup. We will be using the SAFC2 for fuel management. My intent is to build a low compression forged piston engine in the next 9 months or so that will enable us to safely turn up the boost and the HP.
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun-dsc05183lowbw.jpg  
Old 04-02-05, 10:47 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yes we are still running the MAF again it worked with the same levels of boost on the supercharger. But tell me about the speed density, is that a setting onf the SAFC to change how the airflow is measured?
Old 04-02-05, 11:06 AM
wiz2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew there were some turbos brewing in the ATL GS4 camp. Way to go! I wonder if that's the only one I know its been hard for you rollin in the Neon. I wish you guys all the luck in build up!
Old 04-02-05, 10:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wiz2
I knew there were some turbos brewing in the ATL GS4 camp. Way to go! I wonder if that's the only one I know its been hard for you rollin in the Neon. I wish you guys all the luck in build up!
Heck I am in the ATL and had no idea. Looking good Morris!
Old 04-03-05, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by phunkyGS
BTW, is that your car over at Mahdavi's? Just curious, as they will be installing my coil overs and EDFC. They seem like real good people.

Jeff
Jeff - Mahdavi installed my coilovers, EDFC and SAFC-2 and did a PERFECT job. No complaints and highly recommended! Real nice guys too.
Old 04-03-05, 12:03 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Morris, it looks like they are doing a really cool and good job over at Mahdavi's. One question, I had always seen turbo's that were mounted onto a special exhaust manifold, that didnt look like it got the full amount of exhaust, just like half, and the rest of the exhaust exited the manifold like it would stock. On your set up, you are basically taking both exhaust manifolds and connecting them into the turbo, where does the exhaust gas go from there? Is there a port on the back of the Turbo where the exhaust exits out of the turbine and then out the back of the car?

I guess JPI you would also be able to answer the questions.

Morris this looks like a very simple way to add a single turbo to the GS, I never thought of doing it this way.

Hope you come out with at least the amount of horsepower you were hoping for, and I cant wait to see the jet coating on all those pipes. While your shining up all those pipes, why don't you also get a polished aluminum racing radiator like LXOGOOD did?

Good luck with the project.
Old 04-03-05, 12:05 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks Wiz, Mike, I appreciate it I'm already looking forward to getting together at NOPI again this year.
Old 04-03-05, 12:26 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
Morris, it looks like they are doing a really cool and good job over at Mahdavi's. One question, I had always seen turbo's that were mounted onto a special exhaust manifold, that didnt look like it got the full amount of exhaust, just like half, and the rest of the exhaust exited the manifold like it would stock. On your set up, you are basically taking both exhaust manifolds and connecting them into the turbo, where does the exhaust gas go from there? Is there a port on the back of the Turbo where the exhaust exits out of the turbine and then out the back of the car?

I guess JPI you would also be able to answer the questions.

Morris this looks like a very simple way to add a single turbo to the GS, I never thought of doing it this way.

Hope you come out with at least the amount of horsepower you were hoping for, and I cant wait to see the jet coating on all those pipes. While your shining up all those pipes, why don't you also get a polished aluminum racing radiator like LXOGOOD did?

Good luck with the project.
The outside pipe in the attached image routes the exhaust from the turbo to the exhaust pipe and then mufflers. It is called the downpipe and is 3 inches in diameter in my setup. On the one side of the turbo you have an opening that accepts the incoming exhaust from the exhaust manifold and you have another opening that takes the exhaust from the turbo to the mufflers. The wastegate is attached to one of the exhaust manifolds and and bleeds off some exhaust to the turbo to control the amount of boost that is developed.

As for the radiator, I'm not the bling type of guy. I dont want to polish anything, heck I dont even wnat to wash and wax the car. The piping is going to be a black crinkle coat finish, it looks very nice and very very low maintenance. We fired up the engine on Saturday and it sounded very good nice and throaty almost like a pushrod V8. I should have the pipes back from the coating shop on Wednesday or Thursday if they cooperate. If not it will be next week since I have to head out of town later this week.
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun-dsc05170exhaustlowbw.jpg  

Last edited by morris; 04-03-05 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 12:34 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

The big opeining on the turbo that you can see here is where the exhaust pipe attaches and carries all the exhaust gas back to the mufflers
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun-dsc06560lowbw.jpg  
Old 04-03-05, 01:23 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by morris
The outside pipe in the attached image routes the exhaust from the turbo to the exhaust pipe and then mufflers. It is called the downpipe and is 3 inches in diameter in my setup. On the one side of the turbo you have an opening that accepts the incoming exhaust from the exhaust manifold and you have another opening that takes the exhaust from the turbo to the mufflers. The wastegate is attached to one of the exhaust manifolds and and bleeds off some exhaust to the turbo to control the amount of boost that is developed.

As for the radiator, I'm not the bling type of guy. I dont want to polish anything, heck I dont even wnat to wash and wax the car. The piping is going to be a black crinkle coat finish, it looks very nice and very very low maintenance. We fired up the engine on Saturday and it sounded very good nice and throaty almost like a pushrod V8. I should have the pipes back from the coating shop on Wednesday or Thursday if they cooperate. If not it will be next week since I have to head out of town later this week.

Ah very nice, thank you for the explanation, I knew how a turbo worked with the exhaust I had just didnt realize that on turbo manifolds for the supra for example route all the exhaust first to the turbos and then out the downpipe in the rear of the turbo.
Old 04-03-05, 03:05 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Jeff - Mahdavi installed my coilovers, EDFC and SAFC-2 and did a PERFECT job. No complaints and highly recommended! Real nice guys too.
Thanks, Bit...you can never have enough assurance that you're going to the right people.

Pics look great, Morris...good luck on the rest of the build!
Old 04-04-05, 04:37 AM
gowest
Driver

very nice work.

How about this set up? Will it effect the flow of the exehaust gas?

What ECU are you running?
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun-gsturbo.jpg  

Last edited by gowest; 04-04-05 at 04:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun