Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 05:11 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lextreme
10 psi from SC and 10 psi from TC would be a different thread. Morris, please feel free to ask me questions. I have done it all. Twin, Supercharged, Single and now i am doing "Project Lextreme" at this time.......
Hey lex thanks, I have always been kind of reluctant to pester you with newbie questions, I'll definitely take advantage of your offer. maybe the 10PSI thing would be a good start sounds like a new thread is in order
Old 04-04-05, 05:49 PM
bags
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
10 psi from SC and 10 psi from TC would be a different thread. Morris, please feel free to ask me questions. I have done it all. Twin, Supercharged, Single and now i am doing "Project Lextreme" at this time.......

Your right, I just wanted morris to know about it. And you should be NUMRO UNO when it comes to this whole thing.

Does the LS and GS share the same motor?
Old 04-04-05, 05:52 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yup good ole 1uzfe
Old 04-04-05, 05:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Morris, huge props on going down this path... it's scary I'm sure! I just want to say though that don't be too anxious to get it on the road to feel the power... if people who have travelled down similar roads here say you need a different ECU and maybe bigger injectors, etc., don't let your being short on funds right now let you do something you might regret later. Not spending $500 say on a part might cause you to have to replace several thousand worth of parts do to a 'failure'. Not trying to scare you even more just saying be safe, get there with some confidence, not hanging by a thread! Sam's a great guy but it's ultimately your car. If he gets it running fast and something breaks, it's still your dime I assume.

You might want to buy Jaime and Bags lunch, maybe at Mahdavi to let them look it over and discuss the project and figure out any course corrections now.

All the best with it though!
Old 04-04-05, 06:03 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Hey i want free lunch too.
Old 04-04-05, 06:04 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks Bit that is good advice I will look at it closer.
Old 04-04-05, 06:21 PM
bags
Driver

Originally Posted by morris
Yup good ole 1uzfe

good, I thought so, but was not sure. And I was just making sure you did not think I was trying to be high and mighty.

You really want to talk to lextreme and find out what he knows. He knows alot from posts I saw on SELOC. He can help you tune your car. And by "TUNE" I don't mean ONLY A/F ratio. There comes a point when timing, going back to VE, is an issue. There is a "sweet spot" of where you can pull timing and increase boost for power. But, at some point, the lack of timing will overcome the additional hp the Turbo is forcing in. Diminishing returns.

Just FOR AN EXAMPLE, you have +25 deg of timing at peak WTQ. With the turbo, if you pulled that down to +20 deg, you could run 4 PSI more than the +25. If you can make the SAME power @ 8 PSI with +25 deg timing and 10 PSI @ +20 deg timing, the 10 psi @ +20 deg is "safer" for your motor.

To be VERY honest, you need to do lots of reading, I don't completly understand this yet. I am in process of reading "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. Lextreme, jamie, sam, etc.. maybe able to break it down for us

THE KEY to High HP and Daily Driving is tuning.

And thanks bit nice to see you.. great point, $500 is cheaper than a NEW motor

And morris, it gets better, it's just hard right now. You'll enjoy the car more knowing you can drive to work and back, without fear of blowing it up. That makes the commutes and road trips MUCH fun.
Old 04-04-05, 06:33 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

The problem with Apexi, it only has minor fuel control. I think greater then 390 cc in our V8 the Apexi is uselss. Currently i have 550 cc and the computer can take at least another 100-150 cc. If you get splitsec, you can download some of the tuned programs off my site i made for the 1uzfe....
Old 04-04-05, 06:40 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

550 that is tremendous, are you using the split second that also does timing?
Old 04-11-05, 08:03 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Morris,
We hope you know this by now, Going turbo is never cheap. We can't expect to slap on the turbo and expect it to perform. I would get something to control your timing and fuel. Also you need to datalog everything, so it would be nice to go back to see what the engine perform on the dyno. A wideband is a must. VVT-i is good for N/A application but when going FI, it will be hard to tune. And you will have to start a new base map for it. We also have a couple of 1uz engine sitting at the shop. If you need any help, give us a ring and we will do our best to help you out.
JPI
Old 04-12-05, 05:00 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JPI
Morris,
We hope you know this by now, Going turbo is never cheap. We can't expect to slap on the turbo and expect it to perform. I would get something to control your timing and fuel. Also you need to datalog everything, so it would be nice to go back to see what the engine perform on the dyno. A wideband is a must. VVT-i is good for N/A application but when going FI, it will be hard to tune. And you will have to start a new base map for it. We also have a couple of 1uz engine sitting at the shop. If you need any help, give us a ring and we will do our best to help you out.
JPI
Thanks for the offer and the assistance, I will certainly keep you in mind as I move forward. At this point, I am still gathering information and it is all very helpful. I did learn the hardway that FI is expensive, sure they sell the cute little kits that get you started but as soon as you want more thats when you start paying through the nose, add to the fact that there hasnt been a whole lot done with the 1UZ increases the cost even more. I only want to do a stage one and a stage two, I dont want to keep revisiting the same issues over and over again. So I figure stage one will be nice and mild, stage 2 will build things so that I will be able to reach the limits of where I want to go with this car. I do agree that the fuel and timing is a must, especially for stage 2, I have looked at quite a few based upon some of the feedback I recieved on this thread, Split second, Greddy and even AEM. I already put in the wideband that was a no brainer and hopefully the data logger will come iwth the computer that I select.
Old 04-12-05, 05:40 PM
wiz2
Rookie

This might be going in a different direction but have you guys looked at SMT6 to handle fuel and timimg ? http://www.perfectpower.com/default.asp

I thought this might be interesting for your long term goals Morris, it seems to be very adaptable.
Old 04-12-05, 06:04 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I'll have to look into it more, I havent heard of them before, I would need to understand what they are offering that one of the more mainstream companies isnt, but it is another option to investigate thank,s.
Old 04-12-05, 08:59 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

Morris,

Just throwing in my $0.02 here. I too am going down the turbo path after having the RMM S/C (I bought Jeff a/k/a TTurboPimp's kit). Originally, I was not going to build up the engine - thinking I'd keep the boost low and conserve a bit on costs. Then I called Mo to get some info on the install. He tells me that the weakest link in our engines is the pistons and that he'd make me a great deal on some brand new, ceramic coated custom pistons he had made. So now I'm sold on the pistons. Mo then asks me what fuel management I was planning to use. I was going to use this thing called MAP ECU (heard great things about it). Mo tells me that thing is absolute crap, and he didn't have positive things to say about Greddy Emanage either. What Mo is now using (and I picked up one from him as well) is a Haltech unit (don't remember the model number). Anyway, this unit can be set so that if you have a spike in boost, the fuel will shut off and you don't blow your motor (sounded good to me - especially after hearing that was how one guy blew his motor). Then a few days later I ask Mo about the benefit of changing rods and how much more that adds to my final cost between parts and labor. Turns out it's all parts - not really any additional labor since they will already have my engine apart. The only thing that sucks (aside from the $'s) is the time - can take up to 12 weeks to get the rods. But according to Mo, upgrade the pistons and rods, the engine is bullet proof. So I figure for a small amount of additional $'s (relatively speaking) I insure against replacing the entire engine down the road. Then further, I bought Mariusz's tranny - I figure I'll install that one and keep my Level 10 tranny in my garage (just in case I kill the SRT one).

So I guess where I'm going with this is the old saying, don't be pennywise and pound foolish. Going turbo on our cars is not cheap and trying to cut corners could cost you significantly more down the road. Good luck with your install and I hope all goes well.
Old 04-12-05, 09:05 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

theoretically if you did that with your SC you could also push alot more HP, right? how much hp would you estimate?

Quick Reply: Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun