Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 09:35 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the breakdown on 1UZFE built bottom (shortblock) would cost

Custom Forged Pistons: 1k
Custom Forged Rods: 1,500
ARP Rod studs:100
ARP Head Studs: 400
MLS Gaskets 200
Aftermarket Bearings: 200
Crank Seals: 30
Labor, balanced and blueprint with assembly about 600.

So total for the shortblock is about 4k. I am building one right now.

Piggyback is suffecient if you dont plan to run more than 16 psi. If more than that.... then u might consider standalone.

Last edited by Lextreme; 04-13-05 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-13-05, 08:55 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klynchgs4
Morris,

Just throwing in my $0.02 here. I too am going down the turbo path after having the RMM S/C (I bought Jeff a/k/a TTurboPimp's kit). Originally, I was not going to build up the engine - thinking I'd keep the boost low and conserve a bit on costs. Then I called Mo to get some info on the install. He tells me that the weakest link in our engines is the pistons and that he'd make me a great deal on some brand new, ceramic coated custom pistons he had made. So now I'm sold on the pistons. Mo then asks me what fuel management I was planning to use. I was going to use this thing called MAP ECU (heard great things about it). Mo tells me that thing is absolute crap, and he didn't have positive things to say about Greddy Emanage either. What Mo is now using (and I picked up one from him as well) is a Haltech unit (don't remember the model number). Anyway, this unit can be set so that if you have a spike in boost, the fuel will shut off and you don't blow your motor (sounded good to me - especially after hearing that was how one guy blew his motor). Then a few days later I ask Mo about the benefit of changing rods and how much more that adds to my final cost between parts and labor. Turns out it's all parts - not really any additional labor since they will already have my engine apart. The only thing that sucks (aside from the $'s) is the time - can take up to 12 weeks to get the rods. But according to Mo, upgrade the pistons and rods, the engine is bullet proof. So I figure for a small amount of additional $'s (relatively speaking) I insure against replacing the entire engine down the road. Then further, I bought Mariusz's tranny - I figure I'll install that one and keep my Level 10 tranny in my garage (just in case I kill the SRT one).

So I guess where I'm going with this is the old saying, don't be pennywise and pound foolish. Going turbo on our cars is not cheap and trying to cut corners could cost you significantly more down the road. Good luck with your install and I hope all goes well.
From everything i have heard I agree that all we really need is forged pistons, studs and rods. Lextreme has had some pretty good GB's on the stuff. I would think that instead of upgrading the engine in the car you could buy a block and upgrade that one. This way you have minimized downtime, certainly not 3 months. Check out Lextreme, I think you can get the parts pretty fast over there. I have heard pretty good things about Haltech but I have to admit that I really dont know that much about it. I thought it was a standalone, also from the little that I do know or think I know going to a standalone when so much else is computer controlled in the car may cause issues, but again I am not sure. Cost is also an issue, I would scale back my vision before dropping 4K on a computer ie motec etc. I also dont want a race car, I want a daily driver, I have been told that standalones can effect the daily driver characteristics in a negative manner.

I've heard good things about SRT and would tend to trust what they have to say or at least I'd listen intently. But I dont know if I would have them do my work, one they are 700 miles from me, if something needs fixing later I dont want to have to tow the car 700 miles. The other thing I have been told is that they are slooooowwww, which would also be an issue for me. I will look further at the Haltech units though
Old 04-13-05, 11:45 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It is GREAT to see another turbo project. Congratulations on taking this on.

Now, let me address a couple of things. Exhaust manifolds: your stock ones will work but they are restrictive at 235rwhp let alone over 400rwhp. The tundra manifolds DO NOT fit. You are out of money so the header project is out for now but the good news is they will fit and will be a good upgrade when you can do it.

The KEY to any high output engine is preventing detonation. This is done with tuning both the fuel and the timing. To prevent detonation you must have a combination of fuel, timing and pressure that is below the detonation threshold of the engine combination and fuel used.

Your supercharger made 10psi max boost BUT at the torque peak (around 4000rpm) it made less boost. Torque peak is when the MOST air mass flows at a given intake event. Each time the intake valves open and the piston goes down is an intake event. Maximum torque happens because at the RPM that the torque peak occurs... the highest amount of air mass enters the cylinder at each separate intake event. This is what bags is talking about with volumetric efficiency.

Now, there are a number of variables regarding boost. Arguably the most important difference between the type of supercharger that you had (centrifugal) and a turbo is that the turbo will make full boost at your torque peak where the SC did not.

WHAT THIS MEANS is that the engine is going to be more susceptible to detonation, at torque peak, with the turbo than with the previous SC setup. What worked with the SC may not work at torque peak with the turbo. You may need to lower boost for the turbo to work with the fuel and timing system used on the SC. Otherwise, you will need to adjust the timing and fuel maps so that detonation DOES NOT OCCUR.

The good news is that the turbo will probably make as much or more power at a lower boost than the SC did. The reason why is another LONG discussion.
Old 04-13-05, 12:04 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks that was very very helpful and cleared up quite a few things for me. I didnt realize that the manifolds were restrictive, but like you said it makes another good upgrade for phase 2.
Old 04-13-05, 03:34 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Would it be better to have the pistons forged or CNC machined? What about the rods, i have the same question for that too. Reason i ask is i have access to CNC machine shop, i work in the office portion of it, so if i could just take a block and machine it to what i need itd be easier for me than waiting the 12 weeks for rods.
Old 04-13-05, 05:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

OK, going to ask an incredibly dumb question...

I thought Lexus used titanium (very strong and light) connecting rods on the V8 - so why would custom forged ones be needed?
Old 04-13-05, 06:05 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

You want forged CNC is a way of cutting the metal, while forged is how the metal is made. CNC produces exact cuts and Forged creates strong metal. The rods in the 1uz are not titanium they are cast.

The rods and pistons are currently availble

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2811
Attached Thumbnails Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun-ross-014.jpg  
Old 04-14-05, 12:05 PM
bags
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
OK, going to ask an incredibly dumb question...

I thought Lexus used titanium (very strong and light) connecting rods on the V8 - so why would custom forged ones be needed?

Are you sure your not thinking about the valves?
Old 04-15-05, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bags
Are you sure your not thinking about the valves?
Hmm... I thought Lexus had titanium connecting rods but I see Acura has for the NSX... I've read they're light, strong, and expen$ive.

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/article_531.shtml

I see Lamborghini has 'em too.

http://www.automotive-technology.com...o/diablo6.html

Oh well...
Old 04-15-05, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morris
You want forged CNC is a way of cutting the metal, while forged is how the metal is made. CNC produces exact cuts and Forged creates strong metal. The rods in the 1uz are not titanium they are cast.
Right, CNC is (I believe) computer numerical control, a very precise computer controlled way of milling, lathing and cutting metal and other materials.

As I understand it cast basically means metal poured into a mold while forged means pressed, beaten, forced into a shape while hot. The poured (cast) metal will have bubbles, weaknesses and more impurities and defects than a forged piece but cast is way cheaper of course. This is the same issue with rims.

The rods and pistons are currently availble

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2811
Cool! Still would be nice if titanium ones were available.
Old 04-15-05, 10:26 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Cool! Still would be nice if titanium ones were available
Problem would be most Lexus Owners are very cheap. Lexus owners sounded like my ex-girlfriend... all talk, no action......
Old 04-16-05, 07:51 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Problem would be most Lexus Owners are very cheap. Lexus owners sounded like my ex-girlfriend... all talk, no action......
ROFL, qoute of the week
Old 04-18-05, 07:09 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Morris,

In regards to your ecu and vvti concerns, I found this on supraforums
http://www.power-enterprise.co.jp/

I wish I could read Japanese, but maybe you can find someone to translate for you.
Old 04-18-05, 09:00 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

if im not mistake, power enterprises is pricey. the power enterprize 350z TT used to be on my team. think it costed him a bit.
Old 04-18-05, 09:02 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

anyone have a US reseller?

Quick Reply: Turbocharged GS400 and so it has begun